Engine is Shifting Individually to the Overall Craft When Under Timewarp

Davidian1024

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Linux Ubuntu 20.04.6 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | RAM16GB

System Specs:

Spoiler

CySHHsZ.png

Frequency: High* (seems to happen every time; I put an asterisk because I've really only tried this in one scenario so far)

Description:  During long periods of timewarp the SWERV seems to separate from itself.  There seems to be two sections of the SWERV, a plate that is typically attached to a fuel tank.  And the main engine section.  It's the main engine section that seems to become skewed apart from the plate during timewarp.  This skewing seems to depend on the direction the craft is pointed in while timewarp is happening.  The center of thrust of the SWERV seems to move with the skewing causing it to come out of alignment with the center of mass making the craft completely unstable.  A year of timewarp seems to be generally the right amount of time to get this to happen.

Video Evidence:
swerv_skew_bug.mkv

Save File:
SkewedSWERV.json

Included Attachments:

skewed_swerve_bug.png.83c83b2b10c83a0322a284e039cd0996.png

Edited by The Space Peacock

10 minutes ago, Davidian1024 said:

Yes, I just reproduced it.  I'm able to load the following save and reproduce the problem by timewarping.  Sometimes I need to point the craft in a different direction to get the effect to be more pronounced.

Haha this is going to be fun. Thanks.

Also, here's the steps I've been following to reproduce this.  This is giving me this result 100% of the time.

1. Build the following craft in the VAB.  I think it should be pretty self explanatory how to assemble this.
    • Large Pod: Mk3-5 Cockatoo
    • Large Hydrogen Fuel Tank: The longer one: HFT-T-375
    • SWERV
    • Large Decoupler
    • Large Methalox Fuel Tank: The longest one: S3-28800
    • Mammoth-II
    • 4 Large Stabilizers
  2. Launch it and fly it straight up.  I use the Surface Up SAS target.
  3. At about 36,000m above sea level SAS will auto switch from Surface to Orbit.  I put it in stability locked on just before that happens, then switch back to Surface Up.
  4. Burn through all the methalox, decouple and burn enough hydrogen with the SWERV to get your AP outside of Kerbin's SOI.  Timewarp until you're outside of the SOI.
  5. At this point you should be in orbit around Kerbol with just the Cockatoo, Hydrogen Tank and SWERV.
  6. Begin timewarp testing.

@Anth12 So far I want to say performance has been improved overall.  A number of UI elements are definitely improved.  The Parts Manager is basically instant now.  The navball seems to animate much smoother than it used to.  Same goes for the map view.

Are people running into performance issues?

I decided to try this with a lone SWERV.  I launched it similar to the craft I described above and decoupled a SWERV I had attached at the top so that it would end up as a single part.  Timewarping had this effect on the single lone SWERV part as well.

fpkMs0x.png

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Interl(R) Core_TM) i5-9400F 2.9GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti | RAM16 GB

I was doing a mission, I ran out of hydrogen by not paying attention. Bored I turned on the infinite fuel cheat. After doing a burn in map view I noticed my vessel flipping out of control.

Some notes

1.The engine was attached normally until this point

2. This happened after I activated the cheat, no idea if this is related but may be something to keep in mind

3. The engine is fully working, swivel, burns, its just not on its original attach point

Included Attachments:

20230908085034_1.jpg.38e6279792de51d7f9382ee867f26418.jpg

autosave_1.json

Edited by Anth12

Not sure if this helps with bug testing or if it’s a different issue, but I independently came across this and noticed the SWERV’s position relative to the craft can change each time you load a save and it loads direct to the craft while it is in flight (ie deep space), regardless of the amount of time in timewarp (ie it’s happened only a few months into a Moho mission, at the mid course correction burn).

About 50% of the time the SWERV is positioned correctly, but the rest of the time it is offset from the craft. Sometimes it is offset longitudinally, sometimes it is offset slightly laterally. Every time this happens I load to a save until I get a load where it isn’t offset.

Could it be an issue when the craft file transitions from unloaded/timewarp to real time? I wonder if it’s related to the bug where a net torque is applied to a craft the moment it exits timewarp.

14 minutes ago, bigwhitey95 said:

Not sure if this helps with bug testing or if it’s a different issue, but I independently came across this and noticed the SWERV’s position relative to the craft can change each time you load a save and it loads direct to the craft while it is in flight (ie deep space), regardless of the amount of time in timewarp (ie it’s happened only a few months into a Moho mission, at the mid course correction burn).

About 50% of the time the SWERV is positioned correctly, but the rest of the time it is offset from the craft. Sometimes it is offset longitudinally, sometimes it is offset slightly laterally. Every time this happens I load to a save until I get a load where it isn’t offset.

Could it be an issue when the craft file transitions from unloaded/timewarp to real time? I wonder if it’s related to the bug where a net torque is applied to a craft the moment it exits timewarp.

The swerv can be seen moving in relation to other parts while in timewarp.

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel i5-13600K | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | RAM64 GB

Specs:

Spoiler

Specs.png.de87a447fcaf0140301d15db8850ff46.png

Severity: Medium

Frequency: For now a one of

Description:  I was timewarping for quite a while to my maneuver plan which would get me a Moho encounter while in Kerbol Orbit. I started the burn with the last stage of my craft and noticed my craft started tumbling. Which was odd because I used the same exact craft to get me from Kerbin orbit to Kerbol Orbit. I tried to kill my thrust and start slowly. It immediately started tumbling again and once I took a look at it I saw that my engine was off to one side and clipped partly inside the tank. This wasn't where I'd left it of course. 

Note: Reloading the save seemed to have fixed the issue

Included Attachments:

Enignemisalignedpng.png.6f006e2ea285fc0871ba87aeba1a7e6f.png

AutoSaveDefault11_5_20237_52AM.json

Edited by The Space Peacock

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to reproduce this four times with this craft. As suggested above, the most extreme shift occurred when I set the craft at right angles to its direction of travel.

Timewarping the craft in the savefile (below) to its encounter with Duna should reproduce the issue.

(also as suggested above, reloading did fix the problem)

Engine-Shift-Bug.jpg?rlkey=zkxgi836qebec

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5nsmnhavrieu2pgrhgls4/Engine-Lateral-Shift-Bug_logs.zip?rlkey=l1w7wm0n3a977qx6pgzszh7rd&dl=1

Edited by NaughtyMonster
for clarity