[1.12.5] Sterling Systems v0.4.0.2 [Aug 14, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

On 12/8/2023 at 12:10 PM, AdrianDogmeat said:

inflatable heatshield parts

I think you have the wrong mod. There are no inflatable shields.

The Sterling Super Heavy Shield is in the Thermal category.

I even switched to the dev branch but it's not present in the part list

Curently, I only have configs files on the GitHub.

Some other parts and part switches are missing as well

Make sure to have at least Sterling Core and B9 Part Switch. Those are mandatory.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:38 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

I think you have the wrong mod. There are no inflatable shields.

The Sterling Super Heavy Shield is in the Thermal category.

Curently, I only have configs files on the GitHub.

Make sure to have at least Sterling Core and B9 Part Switch. Those are mandatory.

Yeah I solved the issue, appreciate your help

Hi Jade

Two things for feedback: First, the exhaust plume in the 2,5 thermal nozzle is always turned on like if  its burning at minimal thrust, it seems to be just a visual thing, is this intended? If not, i think it could be a Waterfall issue

Second one, playing with those big Fusion engines is little bit tedious right now, because this mod aim you to play with System Heat, but these big engines are not using any System Heat config, wich result in your ship using A LOOOT of SH's Radiators for reactors and isru, and the huge default ones just for these big boys... even whitout use the SH config files for Nertea's reactors and ISRU, that still means that you have to rely ONLY in the big radiators provided in this mod for the whole ship, wich is even worse due KSP's default heat manager.
Im not afraid to play with config settings to see what happens, if you dont care...

Hey @Ariel Kerman.

About the thermal nozzle plume problem, I finally figured it out. That plume requires an Ignition controller which I didn't know was a thing until the other night so that's well and truly fixed.

Actually, all the current engines have a System Heat config but they require the System Heat Fission Engines modlet/extra. Perhaps you haven't installed that. (They're not made to depend on any fission related operations, to be clear.) I do wonder what kinds of ISRU you're doing that requires so much in radiators anyway. Some screenshots would be nice to see. :D

...Eventually I'll deliver more and better (the exotic) radiators, as those are very much required for the highest specced engines in Sterling and FFT.

Go ahead and have a blast with configs. I'm interested in what you come up with.

Release 0.3.6

oYmvqeZ.png

Power for the Christmas lights in the whole village or on your smallest probes!

Changelog:

Additions

• Added World Power series parts: Giant vertical windmill and XXL solar panel.
  • Added tiny solar panels.

Changes

• Set Sun shield's System Heat loop temperature to 650 K.

Fixes

• Fixed Thermal nozzle Waterfall plume problem. It needed an Ignition controller.
  • Fixed Upgrades not showing in the CTT nodes.
  • Updated Waterfall configs to respect engines being duplicated and altered by Rational Resources Nuclear Family.

On 12/15/2023 at 11:53 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

...Go ahead and have a blast with configs. I'm interested in what you come up with.

Well, after downloading the nuclear engines configs for System heat, it turns out that the Olympian and Icarus engines perform in a much more balanced way, so i dont see any reason to modified their config files now, unless i want to cheat outside the game lol

...Eventually I'll deliver more and better (the exotic) radiators, as those are very much required for the highest specced engines in Sterling and FFT.

Fuel tanks. This mod really need them imho. Just a suggestion nothing more, and i can even make some modeling for them with proper UVs and color ID so you can texturing as you prefer. Looking forward to this mod...

1 hour ago, Ariel Kerman said:

it turns out that the Olympian and Icarus engines perform in a much more balanced way,

Heck yes. :D

1 hour ago, Ariel Kerman said:

Fuel tanks. This mod really need them imho. Just a suggestion nothing more

I know, but I wonder why you say so and how you expect them to stand out or fill a gap. I'm currently considering doing things in this order:

1. Finish and release some hexagon pillar format parts (Refineries, tanks, inventories. They come in 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m, and include circular adapters and side stack nodes.)
  2. Make one of these:
    • Solar thermal panels (from very small to very, very large).
    • Aircraft engines. (Rather easy to do. Don't need nearly as much effort put into them as fusion reactors/engines)
  3. Make a CryoTanks-alike suite (and not only for cryo-substances).

The inventory texture for the pillars:

OKmd0KX.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I know, but I wonder why you say so and how you expect them to stand out or fill a gap.

Well, first i want to make this clear: you are the only person who knows what this mod needs and its priorities. I was just giving my opinion and help for an idea i have. I think that, for example, spherical tanks capable of carrying Fusion Pellents, or a mixture of Deuterium and He3, or even Antimatter, would make a big difference since users would not need to download another 3 more mods to get these fuels. Spherical tanks (or perhaps icosahedrons) are rare in ksp, and they could turn out very good looking indeed...

17 minutes ago, Ariel Kerman said:

Note: tweakscale make this mod almost broken

I know all too well...so I've stopped writing Tweakscale configs.

3rd pic is most interesting. It's the best view I've seen of a Daedalus-alike engine I've seen concerning KSP and outside of the related KSP2 trailers. but I'm curious to what is apparently the conical shadow shield towards the front of the ship. Why is it glowing?

42 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

...but I'm curious to what is apparently the conical shadow shield towards the front of the ship. Why is it glowing?

In theory, the bell shape of the main nozzle protects the crew and the ship's system from the strong proton radiation, the large shield just behind protects the crew from the even more deadly x-ray radiation, and the conical shadow shield in front protects kerbals from the radiation coming out of the reactor located where the small radiators are. It contains only water and does not glow, its just a red lamp that casually illuminates the shield.
Im not playing with kerbalism, but its designed that way to maintain realism...

9 hours ago, Aebestach said:

@JadeOfMaar
HI, I would like to say that this mod is just awesome. I would like to ask if there are plans for multiple languages?

Howdy. I've ensured that as much as possible in my mod has localization support, so anyone who wants to contribute languages can do so with minimal headache. But anyone who commits will have to keep up as releases and parts appear. I most likely won't do any myself and there's still quite a lot I want to eventually release.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Howdy. I've ensured that as much as possible in my mod has localization support, so anyone who wants to contribute languages can do so with minimal headache. But anyone who commits will have to keep up as releases and parts appear. I most likely won't do any myself and there's still quite a lot I want to eventually release.

I'm sorry about that, I just had a closer look inside the folder and realised had the Localization.cfg file.

Edited by Aebestach

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jade, im trying to create some custom plumes for the fusion engines and the anti-matter one using Waterfall, but the normal process didnt work. When i export the new effects to the config file, and run the game again, there is no changes but the size of the plume. I noticed there is a Waterfall patch in the engines folder (zPatches), and im just wondering what that does, should i delete some files there first? I could send you a PM if you think is more appropiate

Spoiler

64c55d431187ada274d6c438f51232cb.jpg

25c74b6db7f15240e163cf5c3576f798.jpg

2 hours ago, Ariel Kerman said:

Hi Jade, im trying to create some custom plumes for the fusion engines and the anti-matter one using Waterfall, but the normal process didnt work. When i export the new effects to the config file, and run the game again, there is no changes but the size of the plume. I noticed there is a Waterfall patch in the engines folder (zPatches), and im just wondering what that does, should i delete some files there first? I could send you a PM if you think is more appropiate

Howdy. At GameData\SterlingSystems\Engines\zPatches\Waterfall\ the config files named WFEngine* are what assign templates to engines. Feel free to edit and delete all or part of WFEnginesISV.cfg to allow for your custom configs to the interstellar engines. WFTemplates.cfg is what contains a few waterfall templates I've created but mostly contains templates taken from KSPIE and kept for placeholders.

I consider a PM more appropriate since helping you accomplish something is an active thing, meanwhile, I want to keep this thread reserved for release notes, the occasional feedback and screenshots by players.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Howdy. At GameData\SterlingSystems\Engines\zPatches\Waterfall\ the config files named WFEngine* are what assign templates to engines. Feel free to edit and delete all or part of WFEnginesISV.cfg to allow for your custom configs to the interstellar engines. WFTemplates.cfg is what contains a few waterfall templates I've created but mostly contains templates taken from KSPIE and kept for placeholders.

Thank you, i gonna take a look on it when i have time...

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I consider a PM more appropriate since helping you accomplish something is an active thing, meanwhile, I want to keep this thread reserved for release notes, the occasional feedback and screenshots by players.

Yeah, no problem 

Edited by Ariel Kerman

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

GHNPCPl.png

Release 0.3.7

Additions

• Added tank suite with these diameters: 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m. (Other sizes and status emissive animations to come)
  • Spoiler

TB5h5ID.png

Changes

• Reduced added masses in Super Heavy shield.

Fixes

• Fixed KerbalismSystemHeat problems.
  • Ensured that all wrapper radiators' stock module stats still change when used with devices that still use/generate Core Heat when System Heat installed.

Notes

• This being an initial release and tanks being a big deal, I should drop a warning that the given resource options are bound to change sometime, such as the Water option in the cryo tanks might be removed because the general liquid tank exists.
  • Where the tanks lack options concerning FFT this is partly intentional. Sterling Systems is not an accessory to FFT. Some of the missing resources or alternatives to them will come as the associated engines come.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

I love this new tank, now I shouldn't need the CryoTanks Patch for He3 and De :wink:

I have seen 2 "bugs" at the moment, but I don't know if they are more like features

First, there's some Tank Types in the DrumTankOptions.cfg, that need RationalResourcesCompanion, not just Rational Resources, so if I don't have that installed it gives errors on loading. I just changed it NEEDS to RationalResourcesCompanion
As you said in the previous post, resources are bound to change, but I like that you shouldn't need RR, even if most of the features of this Tanks are to use WITH RR

Second, in the CryoTanks options on the PillTankOptions.cfg, all resources can be cooled except for He3 and De, it is by design so I must use the FTT tanks or the one from RRParts?
Also I know FFT balance isn't something that this mod does by the moment, but it's nice to have niche tanks for each thing

@Overlocker96 Thanks very much. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for. And yes, you shouldn't need that CryoTanks patch. ;)

Bugs:

1. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll update Rational Resources soon and remove the need on companion from the tank types. I'll post an update to Sterling Tankage in a while where the dependencies are reduced to just CryoTanks for the boiloff plugin.
  2. No, that's not by design. There was something that didn't click with me when I copied the boiloffconfig nodes from FFT and from RR's Procedural Parts patch. RR will get the relevant updates too.

Release 0.3.7.1

Changes

• Tankage: Moved gas tank types to general liquid tank.

Fixes

• Tankage: Added missing boiloff configs for Deuterium and Helium3.
  • Tankage: Removed dependency on Rational Resources.