[1.12.5] Sterling Systems v0.4.9 [Sep 22, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

Posted (edited)

@JadeOfMaar

I was able to make a parabolic reflector solar panel that functions fairly well, and I'm planning on using it in my next save.  It has issues with offcenter rotation (like 0.02 meters off center), but thats a small price to pay for losing the reactors.

https://imgur.com/a/cTx1P26

It doesn't generate that much ThermalPower, but its easy to scale so not an issue. 

I should note that it's only a viable option for the inner solar system; when at kerbins orbit, it generates 0.224 thermal power/second. At Eeloo or beyond, the inverse square law basically rules it out as an option. 

I was wondering whether, instead of a parabolic trough, you could just have a dish reflector focussing light on a single point... am I missing something? It seems like it would be way simpler.

Edited by KspNoobUsernameTaken

On 6/2/2024 at 11:38 AM, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

It doesn't generate that much ThermalPower, but its easy to scale so not an issue. 

This is nearly impossible to scale up to propulsion requirements. Thermal engine running at 900s ISP requires to  heat cryogenic propellant up to 2500-3000K, and uses gigawatts of heat, it's tricky as hell to do with a solid core reactor while maintaining the core in it's solid state (that's why gascores really shine in terms of ISP). Lower temperature means lower ISP  and being underpowered in watts means a thrust so low that electric propulsion becomes a better option.

5 minutes ago, Manul said:

This is nearly impossible to scale up to propulsion requirements. Thermal engine running at 900s ISP requires to  heat cryogenic propellant up to 2500-3000K, and uses gigawatts of heat, it's tricky as hell to do with a solid core reactor while maintaining the core in it's solid state (that's why gascores really shine in terms of ISP). Lower temperature means lower ISP  and being underpowered in watts means a thrust so low that electric propulsion becomes a better option.

IRL, sure. But I'm playing with it buffed significantly, because I just like the idea of solar heated engines. I do still have to run a couple hundred of these. 

On 6/3/2024 at 5:26 AM, Manul said:

Within my solar thermal panel suite is a 50m Solar Moth alike panel expecting to be rated for 98 ThP/s at Kerbin insolation. Two of those will actually only be sufficient for the 1.25m thermal nozzle at 6% throttle (156 kN at 970s, assuming the propellant is LiquidFuel). I'm hoping my math isn't wrong.

(I heard @KspNoobUsernameTaken likes stats.)

4 hours ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

That being said, it could work well for the inner solar system.

Giant solar panels and VASIMR or MPD would work even better with acceptable thrust and ISP of thousands s :D

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Stackable Liquid Film Radiators

In case folks didn't already know, this mod provides these (currently just 10m and 20m tall) with some width variants. They absolutely are compatible with System Heat, with the loop temperature options of 650K, 1100K and 1600K. They grant a very fashionable and much needed escape from the spamming of Graphene radiators for FFT fusion or antimatter powered vessels. The current maximum in a single part is the 20 x 20m handling 150MW at 1600K.

Taller ones are on their way.

OecxhvY.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Posted (edited)

Release 0.4.0

Liquid Film Radiators

More heights now available: 60m, 90m, 120m, 150m, 180m (but with only 10m width).

fJ5LIvZ.png

Low temperature wrapper radiators

For habitation and cryo tanks. This suite follows @Nertea balance sheet data for System Heat compatible radiators and challenges the stock radiators and the baseline itself.

qFlbbn7.png oUgBIkF.png

Stats for nerds:

lQWHVZB.png

Changelog:

Additions

• Added low temperature wrapper radiators.
  • Added taller Stackable LFR.

Changes

• Changed System Heat engine configs to require System Heat but not its Fission Engines extra (mostly).
  • Changed MSRs and PBRs to contribute to System Heat loops.
  • Changed SULEU engines to have built-in Pebble Bed reactors.
  • Moved thermal reactors out of Electric category and into Thermal category.
  • Moved World Power out of Electric category and into distinct download.
  • Moved all localization files into Agency folder.
  • Updated Sterling Tankage: Added stack nodes that don't trigger the trusses.
  • Updated radiators tech tree positions (stock and CTT).
  • Updated radiators overall based on an RO dev's advice:
    • Their temperature curves are no longer linear but parabolic, following the 4th power of the given temperature.
    • High temperature radiators are passive and consume 0 ElectricCharge.
    • High temperature radiators do not sub-cool parts but low temperature radiators do.

Fixes

• Fixed Super heavy shield tooltip saying "Ablator? enabled" when it's not, in ThP variant.
  • Fixed Icarus ICF engine's ISRU not asking for Deuterium under System Heat.
  • Fixed a tank having the wrong title and description.
  • Fixed excessive System Heat production in SULEU and thermal nozzles.
  • Fixed node and ground collider offset problems in World Power parts.
  • Fixed weak joint strength on LFRs.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Oooooooh finally my frisbee ships can look less crazy

Also, a quick question: is there a way to IRSU the fissile pebbles and other new fission fuels?

Edited by Oaterson

9 hours ago, Oaterson said:

is there a roadmap for this mod? Or is stuff just kinda happening?

Just happening. I keep to-do lists and progress tracking but I made decide that the urgency on something has changed or that something in progress can gain a few features and needs to be redone, and redoing a thing is demotivating.

4 hours ago, feral_fenrir said:

@Infinite Aerospace you should share the KSP.log. That would help us with figuring out the issue.

The exact issue here is that Sterling Systems watches for "Kerbalism Default" in order to apply Shielding resource to the super heavy shield, but evidently, Kerbalism Science Only also presents as Kerbalism Default so Sterling tries to apply Shielding resource anyway but the resource does not exist then, so B9PS complains.

This is good insight!

I've had a couple of instances yesterday with users on Discord asking about Bluedog DB parts complaining with B9PS. I will check their logs for Kerbalism Science Only and see if it's a similar issue.

On 7/1/2024 at 5:12 PM, feral_fenrir said:

This is good insight!

I've had a couple of instances yesterday with users on Discord asking about Bluedog DB parts complaining with B9PS. I will check their logs for Kerbalism Science Only and see if it's a similar issue.

Kerbalism causes 'seemingly random' conflicts with a fair few mods it must be said. Which is unfortunate as it's probably the best all round Life Support and Science mods. But I can't imagine it works with stuff like MKS either to be honest.

12 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Kerbalism causes 'seemingly random' conflicts with a fair few mods it must be said. Which is unfortunate as it's probably the best all round Life Support and Science mods. But I can't imagine it works with stuff like MKS either to be honest.

I only use Kerbalism for the Radiation stuff. My advice is to create a simple profile in the Kerbalism Settings folder disabling anything else, and use another simpliest LS mod like Snacks! for the actual funny...

On 6/27/2024 at 12:12 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Wait, what?

It was a little joke, i meant that i no longer gonna need to create a 500mts long spacecraft full of radiators for carrying just 50 kerbals anymore...

Spoiler

da3d1d13e78ef7584d5bed61df5e564a.jpg

1 hour ago, Ariel Kerman said:

500mts long spacecraft full of radiators

Ohhhhhh. That makes it all make sense. The ship design is awesome too. This might be the first time I've seen an in-game ship with main engines pointing prograde + retrograde.