[1.12.5] Sterling Systems v0.4.9 [Sep 22, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, darobnsn said:

I'm trying to install/use this mod, but I cannot find the parts in my VAB. I'm fairly certain I've placed all the folders in my GameData folder correctly; can anybody suggest troubleshooting steps that could help me identify my mistake? Screengrab with the file trees below.

https://imgur.com/a/PiF4RT4

This should be the correct file structure: https://imgur.com/a/ezlFQnx

Note how the sub-mods are inside the SterlingSystems folder

18 hours ago, davidmakurin said:

maybe you forgot some of dependencies?

No. The install path is broken as clearly shown in @darobnsn 's screenshot. That Parts folder should not exist. Everything in it should be on the same level as Agency.

QhKyd1k.png

9 hours ago, Jeffery Kerman said:

does this mod work with Interstellar Extended? I think the liquid film radiators would look really good on some of my crafts

It does not. I'm not a KSPIE user so the configs you need won't come from me.

16 minutes ago, Jeffery Kerman said:

do you know if the community made any configs for the mod?

Nope. I'm not in any KSPIE circles so if it happens it'll be a long time before I get to know.

On 7/29/2024 at 1:59 PM, Jeffery Kerman said:

do you know if the community made any configs for the mod?

A quick patch for radiators can be made relatively easily by adapting the existing patches for SystemHeat and B9PartSwitch. KSPI-E uses FlatFNRadiator module to handle all of its radiator logic.

Here is something I cobbled up. Changes in radiator surface area and max temperature with B9PS have all been handled, though maximum temperature has been increased by quite a lot due to the insane amount of waste heat that KSPI-E reactors tend to generate.

https://pastebin.com/VJb4h5Fz

I tested 2 10x20 LFR radiators with a simple reactor setup and it does seem to work properly.

HhE5jgH.png

Thank you! @jcxl233
The last time i used KSPIE i experienced a bug where most of the in-flight nuclear engines stop to generating thrust, so i uninstall it, unfortunately it was long time ago and i never saved the log. Since then i always looked for alternatives like FFT or Sterling Systems, although the persistent thrust featured in KSPIE always tempting me to install it again...

Edited by Ariel Kerman

3 hours ago, Ariel Kerman said:

the persistent thrust featured in KSPIE always tempting me to install it again...

Persistent Thrust Extended 1.8.1.0 (https://github.com/enkido/PersistentThrust/releases) seems to work well with FFT and Sterling on KSP 1.12.5. Not sure about the version available on CKAN, though. It has most of the same features as KSPIE's, and works with engines from any mod.

Edited by Caliperstorm

20 hours ago, Caliperstorm said:

Persistent Thrust Extended 1.8.1.0 (https://github.com/enkido/PersistentThrust/releases) seems to work well with FFT and Sterling on KSP 1.12.5. Not sure about the version available on CKAN, though. It has most of the same features as KSPIE's, and works with engines from any mod.

Wasnt that mod buggy as hell?

EDIT: looks like someone compromised to maintain it alive, and there is some improvements done ahead of 1.7.x. Anyways, if works with Sterling Systems is worth to trying...

Edited by Ariel Kerman

There seems to be an issue in the Tankage part with MetalOre storage when used alongside Simple Construction.

I'd suggest a simple change to B9PS_DrumTankOptions.cfg :

SUBTYPE:NEEDS[Launchpad]
		{
			name = MetalOre
			title = #EL_MetalOre_displayName
			primaryColor = BrownishGrey
			secondaryColor = BrownishGrey
			RESOURCE
			{
				name = MetalOre
				unitsPerVolume = 1
			}
		}

into

SUBTYPE:NEEDS[Launchpad&!SimpleConstruction]
		{
			name = MetalOre
			title = #EL_MetalOre_displayName
			primaryColor = BrownishGrey
			secondaryColor = BrownishGrey
			RESOURCE
			{
				name = MetalOre
				unitsPerVolume = 1
			}
		}

On 7/30/2024 at 11:39 PM, jcxl233 said:

A quick patch for radiators can be made relatively easily by adapting the existing patches for SystemHeat and B9PartSwitch. KSPI-E uses FlatFNRadiator module to handle all of its radiator logic.

Here is something I cobbled up. Changes in radiator surface area and max temperature with B9PS have all been handled, though maximum temperature has been increased by quite a lot due to the insane amount of waste heat that KSPI-E reactors tend to generate.

https://pastebin.com/VJb4h5Fz

I tested 2 10x20 LFR radiators with a simple reactor setup and it does seem to work properly.

HhE5jgH.png

Thank you

39 minutes ago, EthanKerbman said:

There seems to be an issue in the Tankage part with MetalOre storage when used alongside Simple Construction.

The issue is explained here:

I've done as you suggested.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:57 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Version 0.2.2

Among a bunch of small things, mainly fixes, I only got around to finishing one engine (and yet three).

The SULEU (Superb Use of Low Enrichment Uranium) is both a NERV-derived design and the alternative baseline to the stock NERV engine.

Stats for nerds?:

• 0.625m: 1.4t, 134 kN @ 930s
  • 1.25m: 3.2t, 300kN @ 930s
  • 1.875m: 7.2t, 675kN @ 930s

K8rhDU6.png

I've delivered a few new resource definitions, namely Beryllium, the ultimate option for the metal fuel cells (where the oxidizer is still Oxygen). I've turned off ThermalPower output on these. Maybe I shouldn't have...) I've also done some localization on these fancy B9 switcher tooltips so non-English-speaking players won't be 100% stuck reading English in these. Part titles and descriptions still subject to change, though...

jt8kL9Y.png

what mod you running that changes the UI like that?

On 7/31/2024 at 3:39 PM, Caliperstorm said:

It works, amazing! BUT didn't work with MechJeb or KoS, and i'm guessing that will not work with any other mod that take control of your craft during the burn. Also my save got corrupted, fortunately i be able to recover it without any major problems. After looking at the log, i couldn't confirm this is related with Persistent Thrust, although is worth mentioning just in case. Anyways, great mod to play along Sterling System, thank you!

Edited by Ariel Kerman

@JadeOfMaar:

I have one little issue.

When i attach the HeatShields on to the fuselage of MK3, i gain unexpected and heavy torque to the whole vessel.

I guess, cause the mass i add to the bottom of the vessel.

Reducing the ablator doesn´t reduce the torque into an area of "i can live with that" - still more than 200 or so.

Shifting the wings doesn´t helps either.

When i constuct rockets for reentry (f. e. with 3.75 m diameter) it seems not so bad, still, torque with 50 or 60, but i can handle this.

Do you have any hints for building a MK3  in that case?

Meanwhile i reduce the mass af the shilds in the editor to nearly zero - looks cool - makes no sense...

@Tecorian The dry mass (therefore, torque) should never be unexpected. That's just how anything that has mass and isn't spread evenly works. In my example here I empty the Ablator and use tiny Ore tanks (not all are full) as the counter-mass, and offset them as usual to minimize torque. (Of course I'll need to offset them inward to hide them and I then might need a bit more Ore...)

PIdN7j8.png

Unless I'm taking my plane into JNSQ Eve I can easily do like Scott Manley and fly safe! with what piloting and plane builder skill I have. Long before I made these shields I've seen several stock craft survive entry into Eve on stock scale or other planets at 2.7x scale and I've built planes that could survive reentry on 2.7x but even then I too, wished I had wrapper cockpit shields.

Your situation suggests to me that you're lacking some key knowledge to build your spaceplanes or aerodynamic landers well. To put it simply, the easier you can glide, the less you need shielding. You'll see several stock spaceplanes that have a lot of wing area and very little control surface area and try very hard to be low mass. They make do with that little control surface area because they can keep their CoL very close to their CoM which means they can always pitch easily. They can keep themselves at high altitudes and shed speed without picking up much heat.

This is one of my JNSQ (2.7x scale) spaceplanes. Its CoL could be further forward but it worked well, and if it didn't it have dV to spare and generous gimbal to help it stay high up.

NLx8enT.jpg oaKZ2nf.jpg

My CoL could be closer, honestly, but that's the best I could get and I deal with that.

fRuZNuP.png

Show me your craft and I can give answers that are (more) specific.

If you want to get GOOD at planes you have to get BAD :) 

@JadeOfMaar:

These countermass was the hint, like you operate with the heatshields from your mod :cool:

Cause of additional mass, i will try to optimise that way.

Thanks for that and your great answer at all.

So, generally spoken, i have no problems with building spaceships at all.

Your mod gives us user the ablitity, that these spaceships are looking more realistic.  At least, this is the main reason, i use your mod.

I know, that the most spacesplane desings work in KSP 1 very well without heatshields, but i like to have some realistic touch in my game.

I prefer here mostly MK4 and OPT-J.

For real big stuff into Orbit (f. e. Spacestationsparts) i use big reuseable rockets.

CoL looks mostly like here

TaWLQ0E.jpeg

Bigger problems needs bigger solutions :)

cfp6BzQ.jpeg

And reentry works most time

0vysJnP.jpeg

Edited by Tecorian