The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (5th)

15 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

why modded? pol is a stock moon, and i didn't use any mod in that game

Error on my part, is all. (In general it would help me out if each claim said explicitly modded or not, my memory is not all it could be...)

Were your OPM/Whirligigs modded other than the planet mod?

20 minutes ago, damerell said:

Were your OPM/Whirligigs modded other than the planet mod?

slate, wal: modded (kerbalism, near futute electric)

ovok hale polta priax tal: stock

whirligig world: i had a few mods, but the only one that actually affected the rover is simple fuel switch

16 hours ago, Poppa Wheelie said:

I finished a polar circumnavigation of Duna in KSP2.  No parts mods, and no mods that change the physics engine, or science gathering, etc.  But I did use quality of life mods.

Nice to see more KSP2 action, and I can't help but feel the rover looks more elegant compared to even a similar design in KSP1. You write "the Elcano just took too long and required too much personal attention while running it" - I infer it was heavier going than in KSP1 - is that so, and how much?

(Also marked up king's modded planet submissions as stock/modded, apologies if I've got that wrong _again_, and found that somewhere in the mists of time Sharpy's Duna thread link had been lost; restored it).

5 hours ago, damerell said:

I infer it was heavier going than in KSP1 - is that so, and how much?

Yes, it was more difficult for me than my KSP1 Duna Elcano.  The biggest problem was the "finger flick" bug.  Here's how I described that bug in my Mission Report:

And, yes, I experienced what I call the "finger flick" bug consistently and repeatedly throughout the whole journey.  This is the bug where, with no input on my part, the kraken flicks a giant tentacle and knocks my rover to the right or left, sometimes spinning it out of control, sometimes messing up a tricky ascent or descent.  This bug has already been reported by others through the bug reporting process.  What a pain!

Without this bug, there were long stretches of terrain where I could have just paid half attention and accelerated back up to speed periodically.  With this bug I was constantly stopping spinouts and overcorrections - constantly putting myself back on course.

There were also a couple of places where the terrain itself was more difficult than the route I took in KSP1.  The poles were definitely more tricky.  I also had a few sections where the ground made my wheels wobble like I was riding over cobble stones, and it bounced the vehicle up and down and slowed speed to practically nothing.  Very difficult to drive through these areas, and especially to climb.  And visually these areas looked like any other hilly area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Added @king of nowhere's Tylo to the scoreboard. I found it was a pretty interesting read, quite different from my experience of Tylo other than it being an excessively long way.  I wonder if that's down to Kerbal Foundries versus stock wheels? I've also been fixing the old links and putting in the old challenge administrators' comments... at a glacial pace, but eventually I hope the first post will be more use to would-be circumnavigators.

Edited by damerell

3 hours ago, damerell said:

Added @king of nowhere's Tylo to the scoreboard. I found it was a pretty interesting read, quite different from my experience of Tylo other than it being an excessively long way.  I wonder if that's down to Kerbal Foundries versus stock wheels?

I checked your circumnavigation; I see you generally kept a speed between 30 and 40 m/s; you took a couple days longer while having less detours. I could have kept the same speed and be perfectly safe, except it would have been more boring. as i stated, tylo tricks you with some very flat terrain, only to put up some obstacles once your guard is down. it wouldn't be dangerous by itself, it's the reckless driving it encourages.

there was also the occasional hitting of a surface feature; they did mix up with the regular boulders, as such i sometimes missed them. i didn't see them in your run, maybe you lack breaking ground?

i have no idea of kerbal foundries wheels have different behavior, that may have contributed. if they had some kind of authomatic speed limit, that would have helped immensely.

I didn't have Breaking Ground installed at the time; apparently I own it by virtue of having bought KSP in the pre-Steam days.

Kerbal Foundries wheels use a different wheel physics model, KSPWheel.

They do have a maximum speed, but not in a helpful way; they break if they are run too fast for too long. They don't provide torque at that speed, so they won't break themselves, but you have to watch it downhill. I used a kOS script to brake as necessary.

However, it's the physics model that comes to mind - earlier Tylo circumnavigators noted weird glitches that just shoved them up into the sky, and I had none of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Vall too. This will be my last one for a while, if not ever. I considered getting the master circumnavigator, but I'm not driven enough to circumnavigate the missing planets. Actually, I started a Mun circumnavigation months ago, but I gave up one quarter of the way. Same for a Tekto circumnavigation. The thing is, I've been playing this game 4 years, I've done all I really wanted to do, I haven't found any new interesting challenge to try after