Decoupled/Undocked part behaves like it's still connected to the craft (drifting the camera, keeping thrust control...) because of copied part.

MoonfirePDX

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: See description for full list | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Manjaro Linux + Steam Proton | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT | RAM32 GB

Spicat Edit: This bug work with no mods and on windows (see below)

Initial bug report (hidden for visibility)

Spoiler

Specs:

Spoiler
  • CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
  • CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
  • CPU Frequency: 4.85 GHz
  • CPU Physical Cores: 8
  • CPU Logical Cores: 16
  • RAM Size: 32 GB
  • Video Card: AMD AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (navi22, LLVM 16.0.6, DRM 3.52, 6.4.16-9-MANJARO)
  • Video Driver: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.1.9-manjaro1.1
  • VRAM: 12 GB

Severity: Low (Spicat Edit: High: mission ending)

Frequency: Reproducible

Description

Spoiler

I attached 4 satellites meant for a comms network to a hub using stack decouplers. Symmetry does not work on hubs, so I attached them individually and added the decouplers as a group to a stage action for simultaneous release.  Upon release, 1 became its own craft and drifted away as intended, but the other 3 stayed clustered around the main craft, their engines showing in the resources list, and all responded to control input. They also tied the camera to the center of mass of the entire group of linked parts, so as the partially separated craft moved away from the main craft, the view also drifted.

I tested this several times, including with mods disabled, then tested again using individually placed radial attach points around a central tube to eliminate the hub as a factor. The issue continued exactly as before.

Attached is a craft file with one demonstration of the issue. Fly straight up, ditch the shell, and attempt to deploy the dummy satellites. You should find one becomes independent and the other 3 will stay tied to the main craft.

Requesting a Windows user test and verify this since Linux is not officially supported yet. Spicat Edit: Not relevant, work on Windows

Mods used (Spicat Edit: Not relevant, work in stock):

Spoiler
  • UITK for KSP2
  • Configuration Manager
  • Space Warp
  • Node Manager
  • Maneuver Node Controller
  • MicroEngineer
  • Community Fixes
  • Speedy Startup
  • Docking Alignment Display
  • KESA
  • kesa_solar
  • Lux's Flames and Ornaments
  • Lux's OAB Extensions
  • K2-D2
  • Stellar Plasma-assisted Rocket Kinetics

Craft file:

Test.json

Video evidence (from Spicat with the craft file provided):

Spicat Edit:

Steps to reproduce:

1. In the vab, put a pod
  2. Attach a launch clamp to it (optional but it's to see the bug better)
  3. Attach a hub on top
  4. Next to the craft (in a different subassembly), put a tank and attach a decoupler
  5. Take the tank and attach it to the hub so that the decoupler is the part separating the hub and the tank - Important
  6. Copy the decoupler (thus, with the tank)
  7. Attach the copied part to another hub connection
  8. Launch and decouple

Result: When the copied part is decoupled, he thinks that it's still part of the craft, so the camera follow and the part still reacts to the input.

Video evidence (with all the steps):

Steps to reproduce (Docking port version):

1. In the vab, put a pod
  2. Attach a clamp to it (it's not mandatory like above)
  3. Attach a docking port to the pod (or any other part, a truss in the video below)
  4. Attach an engine to that docking port (to detach it)
  5. Copy the docking port (with the engine on it) and attach it next to other one
  6. Go to the launchpad
  7. Undock the docking port (the one that was copied)

Video evidence:

Spoiler

Additional Information:

The version with the docking port also work if you attach another docking port instead of an engine but it triggers another bug (You can see what does the version with only docking port in it):

Edited by Spicat

7 answers to this question

Nicely done! Thank you for the confirmation and the further experimentation. I discovered after further testing that I was still having this issue with a different build involving symmetry. Turned out the sub-assembly I had used to make the symmetrical set was one of the copied ones, so they all stayed part of the main craft after separation. Replacing the decoupler with a fresh one from the menu caused it to work as intended.

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT | RAM32Gb

Upon building a craft that deploys multiple other crafts or parts from a docking port, if the secondary craft is copied including the docking port only 1 craft will successfully deploy, the remaining 2 crafts will be understood by the game as still connected to the main craft, engines and other staging elements will remain in your craft staging, and your camera will be bugged for the remainder of the craft's life.

This bug is not present if the secondary craft is copied without the docking port and placed onto a docking port not copied from the original placed docking port.

I suspect this bug is connected to 

Included Attachments:

dockingPortDisconnectFailureBug.rar

Edited by Spicat

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: I5-6600K @ 3.5 GHz | GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 | RAM15.96

I've attached the save file. The craft in question is "(Combined)-13". It is 3 craft docked together orbiting Mun. When I undock the Lander Mk1 craft, everything seems fine for a few seconds. After a few seconds, the camera seems to disassociate from the craft, it drifts away slightly. Then after a bit longer (after a time warp) I no longer have attitude control of the vessel. I can see the torque indicators on the HUD driving to full in an attempt to move it, but the craft doesn't move. At this point I also lose all ability to move the craft via the engines. I can fire the engines and they animate as if firing, delta-v drops for the stage, and fuel burns down. However, in neither the map nor the HUD do my orbit parameters change.

Save file:

quicksave_22.json

Spicat Edit: Here a video 

Edited by Spicat

Can confirm this is still an issue in 0.2. I ran into this yesterday when trying to send a crew to my space station in a starship-esque rocket with a cargo nosecone attached to a docking port.
After opening the nosecone and docking to the space station everything was fine. As soon as I undocked, the nosecone got stuck to the space station (regardless of which docking port I undocked).
This caused both vessels to spin out of control as the ship though the nosecone was still attached (I could still open and close it). Luckily, when I undocked the docking port of the ship itself,
I managed to break free from it and return to kerbin, without nose cone that is.

Don't worry, nobody was killed in the process and the "landing" was somewhat smooth.

Not sure how to upload pictures here, but I did make some screenshots

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.