Orbital decay still happening [Landing legs or certain parts interacting can cause it]

NovaRaptorTV

3 hours ago, The Space Peacock said:

@jclovis3 merged your report

I wasn't aware this was a decay as my Ap was actually going up. So it wasn't like there was any drag but more like it received thrust heading radial out. I tried flipping to each of the six directions to see if the pattern changed any and it didn't. So if parts were causing the force, the rotation of the craft should change the way that force is applied. I'm not sure the bug is related to any forces created by parts. The consensus seems to be 10 km at every CB so something in the code switches calculation methods at that point. Might be a hard coded figure, rather than a set constant or variable. IIRC, this bug was in KSP as well.

In my lander, the only parts that clipped were the deployed antenna with the deployed solar panels, which rotated into a clipping position. There are also some small girders that I rotated to an angle so part of them clip the craft a bit. Cheat menu doesn't seem to work in science mode so I'll have to test this out in Sandbox with the simplest ship build with no clipping. Then I'll add suspect parts mentioned by other players with no clipping and see if that makes a difference, but I'm still leaning towards the hard coded change at 10km as the culprit.

Edited by jclovis3
Added text.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM12GB

when you have a space craft orbiting Eeloo at just 25,871m and below (sea level Hight)  you would experience a orbital decay, the AP goes up and the PE goes down, and when you try to land in a particular spot on Eeloo you would land somewhere else instead which is annoying for fuel saving.   

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: Maneuver nodes-related | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

When approaching another vessel in orbit of Kerbin for randez vous, switching between them with "[" and "]" in 90% of cases causes a significant change in orbit for one of the vessels. Usually the one switched to.

Separation was around 200m, relative velocity 0.2 m/s, orbit around 100km pe/ap

Orbit changed as much as 3-5 km for ap or pe

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel i7 12th gen | GPU: RTX 3070TI | RAM32gb

deceleration in low Mun orbit with zero atmosphere, causing orbits (and intercept burns from the surface) to rapidly decay into surface collisions

Included Attachments:

Decay might be wrong word here. At Ike currently ship lost Apoapsis and gained Periapsis.

I actually gained 21meters in semi-major axis.

Interestingly tho my vessel was orbit of Ike, velocity vector going to direction of Duna, it almost seems like i gained some of Dunas gravity momentum to my orbit, which would be realistic.

Edited by Jeq

I just noticed, my orbital decay/instability experienced in a low orbit around Gilly stopped the instant my ship crossed the altitude threshold that enabled 10x, 50x, and 100x time warp (I think it was around 12-13km above sea level?). I by chance happened to be in 1x real-time when I crossed that threshold and noticed that the AP/PE instantly stopped changing.

Edited by adaniel87

I have noticed my vehicles accelerating slightly around Ike, Gilly, and Kerbin. On Ike and Gilly it was pretty clearly an upward acceleration, but in Kerbin's upper atmosphere I've had both Ap and Pe raising. It doesn't matter for me whether the vehicle is in 1x, 2x, or 4x time, if it's in that "physics warp" zone it's accelerating.

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 | RAM32

This should probably be merged with the Orbital Decay - I'm submitting here to attach a workspace.

The attached workspace contains a Sample Return Rover (intended for Moho) that for me seems to trigger orbital decay every time, whether flying it to destination manually or by cheat.

It seems that the rover must be landed, after which the return capsule is launched towards orbit. I have encountered orbital decay on every attempt so far. Launching from Mun orbit before landing didn't seem to trigger decay. Further observations:

1. Decay visible by slowly changing AP/PE and speed.
  2. Orbital speed resets to (near?) zero when switching to another craft and back.
  3. No trajectory lines visible.
  4. This craft tested only on Mun, but I have observed this behaviour on other crafts when launching from at least Duna and Gilly.
  5. Didn't notice decay after escaping Mun SOI.
  6. Trajectory was altered drastically after escaping Mun SOI. In the screenshot attached the craft had barely escaped Mun and was on a decent stable orbit around Kerbin (lines not visible but AP/PE around 9-16Mm). After swithcing to another vehicle and back it was shooting out of Kerbin SOI at 4,2km/s

Included Attachments:

SampleReturnRoverTest.json

I noticed that 0.2.1 should (once again) fix this issue. Just wanted to drop an observation. Launching the return capsule from my test craft seems to always result in orbital velocity dropping to zero after switching vessels. I noticed in Tracking Station that the capsule is reported as "landed", even if it high in orbit. If, after launching, I first land the capsule nearby and then go for orbit, the anomaly seems not to happen. So somehow the "landed" state was sticky and got reset when landing again?