When Will Mac support be added

Genie093

I think it’s unlikely until the game is out of EA. It’s not as simple as “click the Build for Mac button.” There will be a lot of platform-specific bugs which makes QA more complicated and fixing them slows down development too and I don’t think they can afford that.

This has be pretty sad, and has had me locked out of playing for a few months now :( Given how far behind Mac has fallen in the gaming world Im going to have to ditch them for a PC next year after being a pretty loyal customer for 30+ years. It sucks.

Edited by Pthigrivi

12 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

This has be pretty sad, and has had me locked out of playing for a few months now :( Given how far behind Mac has fallen in the gaming world Im going to have to ditch them for a PC next year after being a pretty loyal customer for 30+ years. It sucks.

Hang on a bit longer! Apple have recently announced some tools that will make it a lot easier to develop for, it will just take a year or so for them to bite.

1 minute ago, Periple said:

Hang on a bit longer! Apple have recently announced some tools that will make it a lot easier to develop for, it will just take a year or so for them to bite.

Ahhh I heard. We'll see. I wish at least there was a workaround for the black-sky bug in KSP2. I've been losing myself in Factorio for the last few months but the number of other PC games I want to play has been mounting up. Maybe I'll see what I can and cant do when Frostpunk 2 releases next year. 

18 hours ago, Periple said:

Hang on a bit longer!

I would say the opposite, jump ship as soon as possible. The leash is only going to become shorter and shorter.

I had only 2 big Apple discussion with IRL people in the past few years, one was telling me that no, they were not going to start gluing batteries to the phones, and the other was talking about how easy it had been to upgrade the disk and ram of his macbook.

Look at were we are now.

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

What benefit do macs have over PCs? If they want to use a PC instead, I say they should go right ahead.

For my part I do prefer the interface, but mainly it comes down to stability and reliability as I use my laptop both for fun and for work (our firm all runs on macs.) This advantage was probably more pronounced in decades past. 

1 minute ago, Pthigrivi said:

For my part I do prefer the interface, but mainly it comes down to stability and reliability as I use my laptop both for fun and for work (our firm all runs on macs.) This advantage was probably more pronounced in decades past. 

A citation is needed on "stability and reliability".

11 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

What benefit do macs have over PCs? If they want to use a PC instead, I say they should go right ahead.

For sure! But same goes the other way, if you prefer Macs then you should go right ahead with them too.

Main advantages are the Apple ecosystem (seamless integration between all Apple devices through iCloud, Find My, cross-device copy-paste etc etc) and a really powerful combination of an excellent GUI and a full Unix command line.

If all your stuff is in iCloud it is quite painful to switch!

(I have both as a matter of fact.)

1 minute ago, Periple said:

Main advantages are the Apple ecosystem (seamless integration between all Apple devices through iCloud, Find My, cross-device copy-paste etc etc) and a really powerful combination of an excellent GUI and a full Unix command line.

Those aren't advantages. Cloud services are not exclusive to just Macs, a Unix line is something Linux probably has and the GUI is so subjective it's probably not worth touching on when comparing OSes. 

3 minutes ago, Periple said:

If all your stuff is in iCloud it is quite painful to switch!

Sunk cost fallacy.

3 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Im sure Im not going to repeat the Mac vs PC debate. We can leave it as I prefer them ;)

Okay, but till a citation is given, for all intents and purposes we can ignore claims of stability :)

Those aren't advantages. Cloud services are not exclusive to just Macs, a Unix line is something Linux probably has and the GUI is so subjective it's probably not worth touching on when comparing OSes. 

Sunk cost fallacy.

Okay, but till a citation is given, for all intents and purposes we can ignore claims of stability :)

Its been my experience, historically, that the Macs I've owned have lasted much longer and hand many fewer issues over time than the PCs I've used. The business I work for used to use both--PC's for some tasks and Macs for others--but over 20 years or so the PCs had problems and disrupted productivity often enough that we phased them out and run PC only tasks on Parallels. Again though tough to know if this still the case.

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 minutes ago, Periple said:

Are too! :joy:

If we define advantage as something you can find on nearly every device, I guess so :sticktongue:

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

Its been my experience, historically, that the Macs I've owned have lasted much longer and hand many fewer issues over time than the PCs I've used

x6rQTqn.png

Well, your honor, we've got plenty of hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence!

You can just google it. The experience I've had and the businesses I've worked for have had over dozens of machines over decades isn't hearsay, and its a pretty widely accepted trend. PCs have a lot of pros--out of the box performance/dollar, broad compatibly, better for gaming, etc. For work though the down-time created by constant restarts, hardware failures, troubleshooting software issues and high machine turnover just wasn't worth it, at least not 5 years ago and certainly not 15 years ago. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

4 minutes ago, Periple said:

Look Bej, you asked. If you’re going to just flatly dismiss what I said with “no it isn’t” that’s your prerogative!

A counterargument, it's a counterargument. And yeah, if you start pushing people into using whatever OS you use instead of allowing them to make their own educated choices, I'll move to counter an argument that boils down to "look at these things MacOS can do that are common to basically all systems with an internet connection".

2 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

You can just google it. The experience I've had and the businesses I've worked for have had over dozens of machines over decades isn't hearsay, and its a pretty widely accepted trend.

I'm pretty sure a search list that consists mostly of blogs and claims that it's a "pretty widely accepted trend" still fall into hearsay. Since Wikipedia doesn't accept "just google it" as a valid citation, it's probably for the best a citation is seen here. Preferably not one of the thousands of blogs or Quora questions listed there.

Edited by Bej Kerman

3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm pretty sure a search list that consists mostly of blogs and claims that it's a "pretty widely accepted trend" still fall into hearsay. Since Wikipedia doesn't accept "just google it" as a valid citation, it's probably for the best a citation is seen here. Preferably not one of the thousands of blogs or Quora questions listed there.

Haha well Im telling you that over 20 years and dozens of machines that have gone through our office the PCs have limped and stumbled along and eventually failed while the Macs worked pretty flawlessly for 8 or more years until they simply became outdated. That may be hearsay to you, but its my direct experience. 

13 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

And yeah, if you start pushing people into using whatever OS you use instead of allowing them to make their own educated choices

I did not do this and I find it highly offensive that you accused me of this. Please apologize.

Hearsay is direct experience to anyone who says it, but still ultimately no more valuable.

No, hearsay is a re-telling of something you heard from someone else. If you told someone else you heard from me that I had a better experience with Macs that would be hearsay. Me telling you exactly what I've personally seen is not. 

That said I think we're well off-topic at this point.

Edited by Pthigrivi

10 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

If you told someone else you heard from me that I had a better experience with Macs that would be hearsay. Me telling you exactly what I've personally seen is not. 

They're both just information received from someone else.

10 minutes ago, Periple said:

I did not do this and I find it highly offensive that you accused me of this. Please apologize.

Sorry, allow me to rephrase: If you start steering someone into using whatever OS, through commandive statements (e.g. "Hang on a bit longer!"), whether by accident or not, [insert rest of sentence here].

Edited by Bej Kerman
Typo

On 11/13/2023 at 6:45 PM, Pthigrivi said:

Ahhh I heard. We'll see. I wish at least there was a workaround for the black-sky bug in KSP2.

A workaround is to put clouds on Low.

Or wait for the science update lol.

Edited by Spicat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.