Lagrange Proyect

LucalisIndustries

Love the idea of this mod, but I've encountered a minor issue: in Career Mode, many contracts point to the Lagrange points since the game actually considers them to be planets (also "storyline" contracts, i.e., from Kerbin World-Firsts Record-Keeping Society), and even new strategies from the mod Strategia appear focused on the points. While orbital survey contracts are somewhat realistic (we actually do that IRL, like JWST or Euclid), things become a little weird when it is asked to land on a Lagrange point.:blink:

I guess future updates could consider a way to disable the L-points from contracts

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2024 at 5:15 AM, ScareCrxw said:

Hey, I've been encountering an issue with the Duna L2 point where it seemingly 'disappears'. I can still see it on the map, target it, but whenever I'm close to it, it's sphere of influence just disappears and I'm ejected into the sun orbit. Haven't had that issue with any other point so far

huh, will check it asap

On 7/2/2024 at 4:26 AM, Rjoande said:

Love the idea of this mod, but I've encountered a minor issue: in Career Mode, many contracts point to the Lagrange points since the game actually considers them to be planets (also "storyline" contracts, i.e., from Kerbin World-Firsts Record-Keeping Society), and even new strategies from the mod Strategia appear focused on the points. While orbital survey contracts are somewhat realistic (we actually do that IRL, like JWST or Euclid), things become a little weird when it is asked to land on a Lagrange point.:blink:

I guess future updates could consider a way to disable the L-points from contracts

I must advice, do not try to land on them or even get excesively near, the way they works (cos of how ksp works) makes them unstable, that said, I don't know how to disable the contracts for them, I'll check on that and try to do a patch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2024 at 11:20 AM, LucalisIndustries said:

I must advice, do not try to land on them or even get excesively near, the way they works (cos of how ksp works) makes them unstable, that said, I don't know how to disable the contracts for them, I'll check on that and try to do a patch.

You're doing Lagrange points as celestial bodies, right? It looks like the Contract system multiplies contract destination weight by a body's RecoveryValue. Try setting it to 0 for the Lagrange points. 

In the Properties node

Properties
{
	<various properties>
	ScienceValues
	{
		RecoveryValue = 0
	}
}

All fields you can set for a body's ScienceValues. (They default to 1 )

LandedDataValue 
SplashedDataValue
FlyingLowDataValue 
FlyingHighDataValue
InSpaceLowDataValue 
InSpaceHighDataValue
RecoveryValue

Not sure what you want to do with these, if anything.

flyingAltitudeThreshold 
spaceAltitudeThreshold 

CAVEAT: I don't know for a fact that this will stop contracts from showing up. I believe it will. They might show up anyway but immediately fail if accepted. (a lot of things depend on the destination weight, so deadline time, funds, science, it's reasonable to think that if a body has no value then the contract system shouldn't generate contracts for that body. If that assumption is wrong then you get the contracts anyway and they autofail/don't provide value)

Edited by Starwaster

On 7/24/2024 at 12:39 PM, Starwaster said:

You're doing Lagrange points as celestial bodies, right?

It's the only way you can do them without principia.

On 7/24/2024 at 12:39 PM, Starwaster said:

Try setting it to 0 for the Lagrange points.

will do the try later, thanks for the idea!

• 1 month later...

Hey! I love the concept of this mod so much. I recently started using the ballisticfox update of the Beyond Home planet pack https://github.com/ballisticfox/BeyondHomePlanetMod. While I know what lagrange points are and how they work, I'm, admittedly, not familiar with how lagrange point calculations are made so I don't think I could figure out the Beyond Home system myself. Would you be willing to look into it? The core system has a binary star which might make things too complicated (or the fun kind of complicated) so you could likely just calculate it based on their Barycenter.

There's also the kcalbeloh planet addition pack which adds a black hole system which might be interesting to take a look at!