Orbital Survey [v0.9.4 for KSP2 v0.2.1]

Falki

v0.4.0 "This was a triumph!"

• Scans now trigger Experiments in Exploration mode!
    • Experiments trigger when mapping milestones are achieved at 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of the scanned surface
    • When an Experiment completes transmit the report to get some juicy science!
  • To better fit the Exploration mode antennae have been revamped
    • Each part can now do either Visual or Biome mapping, but not both
    • Part progression is also added, higher tier parts will now have higher Field Of View, but also increased EC consumption
    • Check part descriptions in the R&D and OAB to find out what part has what mapping mode
    • Old saves will still work, but your in-flight vessels will be updated with the revamped parts
  • Other
    • Scans are now disabled if the part that requires deploying is not deployed
    • Minimum scanning radius is now set to 1 pixel, meaning scanning should be always performed while inside the Min-Max range. This prevents confusion when vessel is inside the Min-Max range and map is not being updated/revealed
    • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed a localization bug where language wouldn't default to English if the translation is missing - reported by @-dbv-
    • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): German localization added - thanks to @-dbv-!
    • Jool can now be scanned, it will be hard, will require a long time, but it's doable
    • All constants are now defined as Patch Manager configs in ../BepInEx/plugins/OrbitalSurvey/patches/configs so they can be easily edited manually by players or overridden by other mods

Notes:
•    Biome textures do NOT follow the newly added Science Regions, so they can't be used to pinpoint where a different Science Region begins. Update to Biome scanning is planned.
•    Expect performance issues when scanning tiny bodies. This is because the FOV radius of the scanner covers a large part of the body, so the texture changes are significant. Intermittent scans (toggle off/on when needed) can be used help with performance

xWtpf2M.png

jOCwHve.png

Edited by Falki

23 minutes ago, Falki said:

v0.4.0 "This was a triumph!"

• Scans now trigger Experiments in Exploration mode!
    • Experiments trigger when mapping milestones are achieved at 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of the scanned surface
    • When an Experiment completes transmit the report to get some juicy science!
  • To better fit the Exploration mode antennae have been revamped
    • Each part can now do either Visual or Biome mapping, but not both
    • Part progression is also added, higher tier parts will now have higher Field Of View, but also increased EC consumption
    • Check part descriptions in the R&D and OAB to find out what part has what mapping mode
    • Old saves will still work, but your in-flight vessels will be updated with the revamped parts
  • Other
    • Scans are now disabled if the part that requires deploying is not deployed
    • Minimum scanning radius is now set to 1 pixel, meaning scanning should be always performed while inside the Min-Max range. This prevents confusion when vessel is inside the Min-Max range and map is not being updated/revealed
    • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed a localization bug where language wouldn't default to English if the translation is missing - reported by @-dbv-
    • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): German localization added - thanks to @-dbv-!
    • Jool can now be scanned, it will be hard, will require a long time, but it's doable
    • All constants are now defined as Patch Manager configs in ../BepInEx/plugins/OrbitalSurvey/patches/configs so they can be easily edited manually by players or overridden by other mods

Notes:
•    Biome textures do NOT follow the newly added Science Regions, so they can't be used to pinpoint where a different Science Region begins. Update to Biome scanning is planned.
•    Expect performance issues when scanning tiny bodies. This is because the FOV radius of the scanner covers a large part of the body, so the texture changes are significant. Intermittent scans (toggle off/on when needed) can be used help with performance

xWtpf2M.png

jOCwHve.png

fast and best update! but CKAN is failing for downloading it atm.

Edited by dragonflyGT

Note: if you're seeing these double descriptions on parts, some with 0 values, there's a leftover file from an earlier installation.

To fix it go to "../BepInEx/plugins/OrbitalSurvey/patches/" and delete the file named "OrbitalSurvey_module.patch". Do NOT delete the file "orbital_survey_module.patch". Next, go to "../BepInEx/plugins/PatchManager/" and delete the "cache" folder. Restart the game. This should fix the problem.

UmQUHGj.png

3 hours ago, SirWise said:

Exciting update! Have you decided on adding the pixelization of the planets yet? :D

I did, but that will come in a later update. Need to set priorities :)

It would. I'm interested in gathering feedback on these values as I haven't playtested them thorougly.

But I'm also not happy with how the current system for Min/Ideal/Max altitudes behaves for large bodies (Jool, Eve) and for very small bodies (Gilly, Minmus...). Especially for very small bodies - since their radius is small and the Ideal altitude is always the same, that means that a large part of the body is covered by a single scan. That introduces performance issues during time warps because large arrays of data need to be processed for each scan.

I have an idea of replacing fixed Min/Ideal/Max values with dynamically calculated values depending on the radius of the body. That means that each body would have a different Min/Ideal/Max altitude, but the scanning radius would be the same. Meaning for larger bodies you'd need to have a higher orbit and for smaller bodies a lower orbit. Scanning experience would be more consistent that way. And larger bodies, like Jool, could be more easily scanned since you wouldn't be constrained by scanning with a 1 pixel radius, since the current 750 km Ideal altitude for Jool means that you're very low in Jool's orbit and have a small FOV/radius because of that.

1 hour ago, Falki said:

I have an idea of replacing fixed Min/Ideal/Max values with dynamically calculated values depending on the radius of the body. That means that each body would have a different Min/Ideal/Max altitude, but the scanning radius would be the same. Meaning for larger bodies you'd need to have a higher orbit and for smaller bodies a lower orbit. Scanning experience would be more consistent that way. And larger bodies, like Jool, could be more easily scanned since you wouldn't be constrained by scanning with a 1 pixel radius, since the current 750 km Ideal altitude for Jool means that you're very low in Jool's orbit and have a small FOV/radius because of that.

This sounds the right way to go. I've just experienced the performance issues while scanning minmus. :)

I literally created an account just to express my gratitude for your hard work on this mod.

ScanSat was one of my absolute favourite mods in KSP. 

I'm very grateful you've bought the functionality over to KSP2. Keep up the great work!

Posted (edited)

v0.5.0 "Region is where your heart is"

• Biomes are replaced by Regions
    • With the For Science! update a new concept of Regions was introduced for science gathering that doesn't align with previously available Biomes
    • To help with finding different Regions, previous Biome mapping is now replaced with Region mapping
    • Maps have been refreshed; Regions for each body have hand picked colors to fit that body better.
    • Discoverables are NOT displayed on Region maps
    • If upgrading from a previous version, existing vessels, parts and gathered maps will be updated to the new scanning mode
  • Legend that contains colors and keys for Region mapping is now visible on the mapping UI
    • For the legend to be revealed you need to fully scan the body (Region mapping at 100%)
    • If you don't want the legend, you can toggle it off in Settings -> Mods -> Orbital Survey -> Show Region legend

NOTE: some Regions are quite rare on certain bodies so they could be considered spoilers. You've been warned! Toggle off the setting for the legend if you want a fully spoiler free playthrough

VUBFIIW.png

v0.5.1 Chinese (Simplified) translation added by @fengyuan0529

On 1/3/2024 at 5:53 PM, fengyuan0529 said:

Hi there! I'd like to contribute to the Chinese (Simplified) translation of this wonderful mod. Kindly review the updated localization file I provide. Thanks!

orbital_survey_localization.csv

Thanks, added the translations to the newest release!

21 hours ago, cofibot said:

Would it be possible to add a scanning mode for slope and overlay the color on the surface to help find landing spots? (Steep slopes red, flat areas green?)

That's on my TODO list. BTW this is my TODO list if anyone's interested: https://github.com/Falki-git/OrbitalSurvey/blob/dev/src/OrbitalSurvey/Notes/TODO.cs

Edited by Falki

On 1/3/2024 at 6:23 AM, Falki said:

For a moment I was telling myself, "Hmm, that would make the desired height a bit unpredictable at launch time, perhaps a 'normal altitude for small bodies', 'normal altitude for mid-sized bodies' and a 'normal altitude for giants' would be more intuitive.
But then I realized that if you go by body size, that would make your mod more compatible with future planet packs (or those extra solar systems the devs are working on).

So by all means! Your idea to use a dynamic calculation with body width is superb!   But I just thought of two things to keep in mind:
1- It's annoying if the right altitude ends up intersecting with a moon. But I trust you'll find a sweet spot between the atmosphere and nearby moons/inside the SOI for virtually all cases.

2-It's good if we have a fair idea what altitude to aim for before we launch a scansat to an interplanetary target.   So maybe a little in-game text to give us some rough values ahead of time would be neat...
(Oh, you might want to round that dynamic altitude to the nearest ten, to avoid 'oddly specific' values, haha)

And I must express my sincerest compliments on this mod. I'm also a big, big fan of Scansat.  Cheers!

On 1/3/2024 at 5:23 AM, Falki said:

It would. I'm interested in gathering feedback on these values as I haven't playtested them thorougly.

But I'm also not happy with how the current system for Min/Ideal/Max altitudes behaves for large bodies (Jool, Eve) and for very small bodies (Gilly, Minmus...). Especially for very small bodies - since their radius is small and the Ideal altitude is always the same, that means that a large part of the body is covered by a single scan. That introduces performance issues during time warps because large arrays of data need to be processed for each scan.

I also think this is a fantastic idea, and wanted this even with ScanSAT back in the day. Either I'm blind or didn't see an entry for this in your current roadmap though? Just curious so I can keep an eye out for it. Fantastic work!

4 hours ago, Spacecat2000 said:

2-It's good if we have a fair idea what altitude to aim for before we launch a scansat to an interplanetary target.   So maybe a little in-game text to give us some rough values ahead of time would be neat...
(Oh, you might want to round that dynamic altitude to the nearest ten, to avoid 'oddly specific' values, haha)

Or maybe make a mission with a special part first that measures the body. (takes a while, can't be on a vessel that has survey antennas) Once you've got the data you'll see the correct heights for satellites.

Other thing: is it intendet that you have to focus the satellite to generate scanning data? 

17 hours ago, shreds said:

Seems the last update of this mod broke the drop down menu's for Visual/Region Scanning. I used CKAN to install and its got no conflicts.

There's no more dropdown for selecting Visual or Region modes. Now each part has either a Visual or a Region scan. Pictures and videos in the first post aren't updated, sorry. Yesterday I updated the textual descriptions to depict this.

5 hours ago, Spacecat2000 said:

1- It's annoying if the right altitude ends up intersecting with a moon.

2-It's good if we have a fair idea what altitude to aim for before we launch a scansat to an interplanetary target.

1. Yeah, I need to see not to do that. I think only Jool might be affected with being that big and having many moons. There's also the SOI to acount for. Gilly's SOI is so small that you're outside of it if you want to scan it with the Region scan

2. That's bugging me as well. Currently you can clearly see on part's descriptions what altitudes you need. Maybe it shouldn't be completely dynamic, but could fit in certain categories like you mentioned, "small bodies", "Kerbin-sized bodies", "gas giants"

4 hours ago, RadioFreeKerbin said:

I also think this is a fantastic idea, and wanted this even with ScanSAT back in the day. Either I'm blind or didn't see an entry for this in your current roadmap though? Just curious so I can keep an eye out for it. Fantastic work!

You're right, it's not, I'll add it :)

43 minutes ago, DimiBD said:

Is it possible to add the coord of the mouse when we are on the map ? it can be use full to plan our landing site ;)

Yes, I've planeed something like this.

39 minutes ago, -dbv- said:

Other thing: is it intendet that you have to focus the satellite to generate scanning data? 

No, it definitelly doesn't need to be focused. Vessel doesn't need to be loaded at all. You can launch a vessel, enable scanning, then switch to another vessel to do something else.

I have a question.. does putting up multiple active satellites, say in a 120 degree polar comnet config, speed up mapping progress? I set up a scanning/com network like the aforementioned, but I couldn’t really tell if it helped and I didn’t have time to compare against a single sat mapping approach. It’s possible that the FOV of the mapping  satellite is too wide for this multi-sat approach to actually improve upon a single sat with respect to the rotation of Kerbin. I haven’t done the math, just wondering. Either way, I enjoy the geometric networks, especially with the com-lines mod coupled with yours. Great work by the way, it adds a nice depth and additional purpose to building a satellite constellation. I think it would be great have a game mode where there was a great incentive to map a  celestial body before sending live crew.  I know @cheese3660 is doing a lot of work with the tech tree, missions, and flight restrictions. It would be really cool to have a game loop for veteran players to stretch out exploration and progress in a more logical fashion, though that is arguably not the kerbal way, lol. My appreciation to all the modders that are bringing this game to life so quickly, now that’s it’s finally playable. 

1 hour ago, bmcmahonwrx said:

I have a question.. does putting up multiple active satellites, say in a 120 degree polar comnet config, speed up mapping progress?

Yes, it does speed it up. Each antenna part behaves as a separate scanner, just as you would expect from real life. So having multiple satellites scanning at the same time means you'll finish quicker. And you can easily see that in the mapping GUI. Just enable scanning on both vessels and you'll see the map being updated at two different geographic coordinates at the same time. It'll become even clearer when vessel positions are added to the map.

And I agree, adding more depth to the gameplay loop is a major point of mods. Stock game caters more for the average player that is just beginning to play the game, so it has to remain simple; people from Intercept Games have made that very clear many times. So it's up to modders to bring the complexity and replayability up. I wish it weren't the case, but I can certainly understand that approach.

Thank you for this incredible content, i think it should be inside the game not as a mod but as a feature!!!

I noticed a incredible drop in framerate while scanning, at warp speed 100X or greater, don't know if you already know that.

Also i noticed that if you have multiple satellite performing the scanning, it is almost random the satellite that gets the science when you reach a certain milestone

Edited by oro

32 minutes ago, Falki said:

Yes, it does speed it up. Each antenna part behaves as a separate scanner, just as you would expect from real life. So having multiple satellites scanning at the same time means you'll finish quicker. And you can easily see that in the mapping GUI. Just enable scanning on both vessels and you'll see the map being updated at two different geographic coordinates at the same time. It'll become even clearer when vessel positions are added to the map.

And I agree, adding more depth to the gameplay loop is a major point of mods. Stock game caters more for the average player that is just beginning to play the game, so it has to remain simple; people from Intercept Games have made that very clear many times. So it's up to modders to bring the complexity and replayability up. I wish it weren't the case, but I can certainly understand that approach.

I honestly agree with the developer’s decision to make the game quickly and easily accessible to a newer demographic. I think was the right decision to open this game to the broader community. It would be great to  have a veteran mode or “rocket scientist” mode that features the inclusion of well-designed, depth-enhancing game loops such as Orbital Survey, life-support, tech-tree re-orgs. I prefer that to simply just cranking up atmospheric heating.  I think that’s a long-winded way of saying I agree with you and am grateful for your efforts to enhance the game play for the seasoned community. I think that’s what’s so valuable about the contributions of modders, you’re able to focus and dial-in great features such as this. I’m looking forward where you take this mod.