Version #2 - Will "For Science" (Hopefully and Finally) Include Flight Controller Support?

Buzz313th

Last thread was closed because it went off topic and one of the forum mods recommended to start a new one and stay on topic...

From Vanamonde

"So the subject of this thread was joystick support. (Really! Go back and look!) But since it's been about everything else but, why don't we all just move on? Anyway whoever has any concrete news about joystick support can feel free to start a new thread for that. As long as it stays on-topic. "

So I don't have any concrete news about Joystick Support, but maybe a developer can comment, since they would be the ones with the info?  Maybe?

Please

Cheers

Edited by Buzz313th

I play KSP1 with a HOTAS too and I find that more fun, even easier. I tested it in KSP2 myself a few months ago and it turns out the functionality is partially in there already, but IIRC only pitch and roll worked for me, not yaw or throttle.

I'm interested to hear what the devs would say about this too, but I don't expect them to make it fully supported anytime soon. I really hope they eventually do though, because I find it much more intuitive to fly planes in atmosphere and dock spacecraft by using the fine control of a joystick instead of a keyboard (precise control mode helps a little, but it's not flexible enough for me personally). KSP1 also lets you map the controls differently depending on whether docking mode is on, and if it's in LIN or ROT mode. I know most people don't use docking mode with a keyboard, but with a HOTAS it's kind of necessary unless you happen to have 2 sticks or something.

9 minutes ago, Arguswastaken said:

I play KSP1 with a HOTAS too and I find that more fun, even easier. I tested it in KSP2 myself a few months ago and it turns out the functionality is partially in there already, but IIRC only pitch and roll worked for me, not yaw or throttle.

I'm interested to hear what the devs would say about this too, but I don't expect them to make it fully supported anytime soon. I really hope they eventually do though, because I find it much more intuitive to fly planes in atmosphere and dock spacecraft by using the fine control of a joystick instead of a keyboard (precise control mode helps a little, but it's not flexible enough for me personally). KSP1 also lets you map the controls differently depending on whether docking mode is on, and if it's in LIN or ROT mode. I know most people don't use docking mode with a keyboard, but with a HOTAS it's kind of necessary unless you happen to have 2 sticks or something.

Without analog control the player can only set pitch, roll or yaw to full or off.  

It’s absurd that a game about flight has no analog controller support.

As far as I know, IG has stated that controller support will come soonTM, for whatever that is worth.  It won't be in 0.2.  I doubt it will be in any release prior to 1.0, to be frank and honest.

Now, with that said...you could learn how to mod the game and add it yourself.  At least that way you'd have it until the game releases it as part of stock.  What would that take?  No idea.  While I wrote a small mod, stick support goes beyond my limited knowledge of the codebase for KSP2.  That shouldn't stop you from at least trying.  Or asking the current mod community if anyone can do this.

10 hours ago, Arguswastaken said:

I tested it in KSP2 myself a few months ago and it turns out the functionality is partially in there already, but IIRC only pitch and roll worked for me, not yaw or throttle.

I had the same experience until 0.1.3 broke that too. Went back to KSP1 after that and haven't played KSP2 since.

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Now, with that said...you could learn how to mod the game and add it yourself.

If it's simple enough that someone could learn to mod it in their spare time, imagine how easy it would be for the devs to implement it. It's not like analog controllers are a new thing, I remember playing TFX (a 30 year old DOS game) with a joystick. It would be an easy win and would bring me back to give KSP2 another shot.

After all...

10 hours ago, Buzz313th said:

It’s absurd that a game about flight has no analog controller support.

2 hours ago, Turbo Ben said:

If it's simple enough that someone could learn to mod it in their spare time, imagine how easy it would be for the devs to implement it.

2 really small, insignificant details wrong with this statement.

1. I never said it was easy.  I said someone could learn, but that doesn't make doing so easy.  If it was easy, everyone would do it.
  2. You assume that the devs aren't already overloaded with other work that they can just set aside to knock this feature out while ignoring the bugs that need to be fixed.  Bug fixes will always take priority over feature implementation.

On 12/7/2023 at 7:27 PM, Buzz313th said:

Anyway whoever has any concrete news

On 12/7/2023 at 7:27 PM, Buzz313th said:

So I don't have any concrete news

Therefore, until the devs release actual info, this thread is moot.