Does anyone have the STS-80 Onboard Re-entry footage?

kerbalyeeter40

Guarantee you he wasn’t standing. 

Edit:    Well, I should know better than to doubt a Story Musgtave tale.   Apparently he did it on both STS-6 & 80.      Still haven’t found the video though.   

Edited by Gargamel

The first shot in the "Landing" section at the very end of this (48:30) might be a small part of it, I can't tell for sure though. It's just a shot of the atmosphere, apparently rotating about a bit as the Shuttle maneuvered.

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

One wonders if it hasn't been released in full for OSHA related reasons, ha.  Standing while shuttle decelerates at 2 gravities and engulfed in plasma may call for a hefty fine, by golly

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

One wonders if it hasn't been released in full for OSHA related reasons, ha.  Standing while shuttle decelerates at 2 gravities and engulfed in plasma may call for a hefty fine, by golly

He's stated on multiple occasions that the video was low in quality, which might be one of the main reasons. If someone's selling a still of it online for $500, though, it must be possible to find it somewhere. Typically this NASA stuff is free to the public, etc.

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

He's stated on multiple occasions that the video was low in quality, which might be one of the main reasons. If someone's selling a still of it online for $500, though, it must be possible to find it somewhere. Typically this NASA stuff is free to the public, etc.

Maybe someone who shares citizenship with NASA could make a FOIA request for it? Should I be so bold as to suggest they might also release it globally for the rest of us to enjoy? IDK how precisely one has to identify the stuff they request in the USA, but here in my country the information in this thread is sufficient that the officials are required by law to help identify the exact document.

15 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

According to https://www.foia.gov/faq.html

"Generally any person - United States citizen or not - can make a FOIA request."

Awesome. Sadly said site does not open for me. Not without a VPN at least and I have too much going on to dive into that too. So I could not have found that out by myself.

Kind of an aside, but In my research for this, apparently him standing up is talked about in these oral histories:

https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/oral_histories/AllenJP/allenjp.htm

The March 18th interview supposedly.    I skimmed the 35 pages of it, but I’m at work and missed it.    But there is a lot of good stuff in those interviews.   

On 12/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, Gargamel said:

Kind of an aside, but In my research for this, apparently him standing up is talked about in these oral histories:

https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/oral_histories/AllenJP/allenjp.htm

The March 18th interview supposedly.    I skimmed the 35 pages of it, but I’m at work and missed it.    But there is a lot of good stuff in those interviews.   

I heard about it from Thomas D Jones's book, Sky Walking. ( sorry for not seeing these, i forgot about it)

• 7 months later...

A small amount of the footage is in this video at about 14:14. I'm sure there's more footage though. I even looked through the NASA media library but couldn't find it there.