Reentry does not slow me down at all

KerbanGamer

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU + AMD Radeon graphics | RAM8Gb x2

So im trying to play the new update but when i go up into the atmosphere or even high up the reentry heating doesent do anything to slow me down like it used to do in KSP1

Please help!

Edited by The Space Peacock

I have noticed this too, and am trying to recreate it consistently.

Here is my information:
Mods: none

Can replicate without mods?: probably

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Edit: I think it has something to do with having an engine on the bottom of your rocket when facing retrograde. For my the swivel.

Edited by ilogic
new information

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: I9 12900 | GPU: Nvidia RTX 4090 | RAM64GB

I've noticed on most of my re entries that with the heat shield and Science Jr kit, I will not experience any deceleration until the science kit explodes due to overheating. Once it explodes, the craft will immediately go from 1000-2000 m/s (re-entry speed) to around 600 m/s after the explosion, then I can deploy the parachute for a safe landing. Also experienced a lot of atmosphere skipping because of the lack of deceleration, where even if i have the periapsis down to 25k meters, it will do the re entry heating and then altitude will slowly increase until i reach the periapsis, and will repeat until the perapsis is at a low enough altitude to where it will correct itself.

Included Attachments:

I'm having this problem without any engine attached. I do have the beginning science module but just that and the heat shield. It starts to slow down a tiny bit just before I smash into the ground. And none of my parachutes deploy.
So game is basically unplayable for me at this point.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i5-9600K @ 3.7 GHz | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 | RAM: 16GB

I'm seeing the same issue as well. A standard Mk 1 "Tin Can" with a heat shield and parachute attached shows no marked deceleration if the re-entry starts with just those parts. Time warp status doesn't seem to affect anything.

However, if I leave the rest of my craft attached at the start of re-entry, and let those parts burn off, then deceleration of my tin can + heat shield works as expected.

17 hours ago, The Space Peacock said:

@cdaragorn and @mw-au thanks for the info. removed the note about this being due to engines from the title. would any of you happen to have some footage or a save/craft file of this bug occuring? 

I have an 1 hour decent into the planet where it really only slowed down the last 5 minutes or so... (very shallow) however I did it F2 so no flight data. I'll do a repeat launch and then see about graphing the results of a few re-entry profiles and see if something pops up.

10 hours ago, mw-au said:

@The Space Peacock I can try - do you know where the save/craft files live? I've tried to Google result I got ([USER]/AppData/LocalLow/Intercept Games/Kerbal Space Program 2/Saves/SinglePlayer/[KSP Username]/), but it claims it "can't find" the folder inside there...

The full path:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer\CAMPAIGN

You need to replace USERNAME and CAMPAIGN by what is on your PC.

OS: Windows 10 Professional | CPU: AMD 5800x | GPU: Zotec 3070 with improved fans. | RAM64GB CL14

So I'm sure some of this is "tuning" but other parts are glitches. I've had this happen a couple times on me but this video encapsules everything I've seen all in one go.
Notes: Video Sped up 2.4x as the orginal FPS was ~10fps

1. 70km was 2200m/s
2. 45km was 2287m/s (this is where the video starts)
3. Solar Panels are a huge flame effect and survive quite some time, but don't appear to really "slow" the craft down at all for being such large panels. I've seen significantly better slowing from construction panels of about the same size.
4. After the bottom stage is destoyed there are a bunch of "phantom" forces around the capsule which I can't figure out what they are from.
5. The capsule hits the mountain range at break-neck speeds, there still are flames but considering the entry speed & angle (pretty shallow) from a failed orbit this is very unexpected. 

Frequency: I'd say this happens about every 3 rentrys but "why" I'm not sure but I've dive boomed from mun at like 70 degree angle and survived no problem using heat sheilds and parachutes. Heck, I've done it without either so its odd their are other re-entries that are like this. Very inconsistant.

Included Attachments:

@PicoSpace merged your report with this one since it seemed the most appropriate. we try to keep reports limited to one bug at a time, so if you want to make seperate reports for the solar panels having weird VFX/too much heat resistance and the weridness happening around the pod after the bottom stage is detroyed, go ahead :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 7:47 PM, PicoSpace said:

OS: Windows 10 Professional | CPU: AMD 5800x | GPU: Zotec 3070 with improved fans. | RAM64GB CL14

So I'm sure some of this is "tuning" but other parts are glitches. I've had this happen a couple times on me but this video encapsules everything I've seen all in one go.
Notes: Video Sped up 2.4x as the orginal FPS was ~10fps

1. 70km was 2200m/s
2. 45km was 2287m/s (this is where the video starts)
3. Solar Panels are a huge flame effect and survive quite some time, but don't appear to really "slow" the craft down at all for being such large panels. I've seen significantly better slowing from construction panels of about the same size.
4. After the bottom stage is destoyed there are a bunch of "phantom" forces around the capsule which I can't figure out what they are from.
5. The capsule hits the mountain range at break-neck speeds, there still are flames but considering the entry speed & angle (pretty shallow) from a failed orbit this is very unexpected. 

Frequency: I'd say this happens about every 3 rentrys but "why" I'm not sure but I've dive boomed from mun at like 70 degree angle and survived no problem using heat sheilds and parachutes. Heck, I've done it without either so its odd their are other re-entries that are like this. Very inconsistant.

Included Attachments:

I have encountered the same problem with not slowing down during reentry and "Phantom " forces.