Where exactly does the tracking icon need to be for you to be 'over' an area?

So, from the sources I could find I understand that I should be able to 'measure temperature in flight above X meters near Y from orbit (above Kerbin in this case)

I managed a mostly geosynchronous orbit and  when I'm pointing down the tracking icon is smack dab in the middle of the radial in marker.

But I never get a message indication I'm in the vicinity.

And yes, I'm on the correct side of the planet for the target (so I'm not looking through the planet at the far side).

I've slowly adjusted the spacecraft to move the marker about a little bit but no luck

I've linked in some screenshots to show what I'm seeing:  KSP1 Screenshots (hopefully the link works)

So I'd appreciate some insight here.   Perhaps there is a maximum height for measuring temperature (contrary to what I could find)?

Or the tracking icon 'center' is at the top or the bottom and not towards the center?

Or I'm just too far out and the area that corresponds to 'in the vicinity' is lost in the granularity of the interface? (if that even comes close to legitimate terminology :-))

Thanks,

Gordon

Edited by ghatwood
Being polite and putting in a 'thanks'

I don't see how it can be anything except location or the other factors that I cited.  I'm orbiting Kerbin.  I've got a geostationary orbit that is good enough that I'm not drifting off target.  The Radial in is dead center on the tracking icon.  I'm on the correct side of the world. 

I've managed to do fly bys for other targets (with an exhausting number of tries) that were sub-orbital.  This is the first one I tried with a geosynchronous orbit (and I lucked out getting that lined up after only a couple of burns). 

I'm making slow burns, trying to drift the tracking icon down through the radial in marker to see if there is a spot that triggers a 'near' effect.

I was hoping the screenshots would would give a clue to someone to say 'well, you are totally misreading this' or something like that :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.