Can you transfer science samples?

Go to solution Reply by regex,

If I want to fly an Apollo style Mün mission and I put a Science Junior on the lander, do I have to return the lander with the science junior to Kerbin in order to get the science reward from the sample? Or is there a way to keep it with my kerbals?

• Solution

Based on my single-Kerbal mission last night (transfer craft + lander + return craft, no docking), the science seems to stay with the Kerbal automatically. No idea how it works with multiple Kerbals, but if it's just one you shouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Related to this, what if the thing collecting the science is a probe instead?

So for example the kerbals stay on the mothership, send down a probe to do all the science.  The probe returns to the mothership.  If it can dock then the science is automatically added to the mothership.  But what if it can't dock?  Can a kerbal go out and collect the data?  

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2024 at 4:46 PM, PTNLemay said:

Related to this, what if the thing collecting the science is a probe instead?

So for example the kerbals stay on the mothership, send down a probe to do all the science.  The probe returns to the mothership.  If it can dock then the science is automatically added to the mothership.  But what if it can't dock?  Can a kerbal go out and collect the data?  

This questions interrests me as well. Is there any answers for this question? 

On 3/17/2024 at 7:22 AM, BeakyBuzz said:

This questions interrests me as well. Is there any answers for this question? 

From my limited testing, it seems that no.  A Kerbal cannot go on EVA, touch a probe, and extract it's science. The feature may be added in the future (it was something you could do in KSP1).  But for now you should add a docking port to all probes if you plan on having them collect anything useful.

4 hours ago, PTNLemay said:

From my limited testing, it seems that no.  A Kerbal cannot go on EVA, touch a probe, and extract it's science. The feature may be added in the future (it was something you could do in KSP1).  But for now you should add a docking port to all probes if you plan on having them collect anything useful.

An rover seat also work well for an kerbal to pick it up.