Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Okay its been a long while since i have talked here and i am loving what is being done with the mod and im so happy my idea of being able to actually link tanks together is being used, but one silly question, how do you manually link a fuel line in? Im pretty sure i was told before but have forgotten and thanks for your hard work majir :)

Start with a clone of a stock air intake scoop, change the generated resource to Kethane, invert the atmospheric requirements (less atmosphere = more intake) or remove them entirely, and scale the intake rate down to a "realistic" level, maybe start around 5% and fine-tune for game balance.

Not sure how to get the intake to be inverted.

here's my attempted code;

MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceIntake
resourceName = Kethane
checkForOxygen = true
area = -0.01
intakeSpeed = 1
intakeTransformName = intake
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Kethane
amount = 0.02
maxAmount = 0.02
}

Sorry if it was already answered, but I updated Kethane to the latest version and the background planet in the main menu always show the Kethane grid. This is normal or it's only me ?

Yes. This is like the 12th time that's been asked. :P

Soory to ask this question that must have been answered somewhere in these 270 pages, i know kethane has to be scanned, extract, then converted and stocked, but practically how do you realize it once it is mined? Do you store it in the extracting machine or do you need an empty tank to store it after extraction? Do you set converter on the extracting machine? do you need fuel lines? How do you transfer, from a store tank. For example if you want to use it on your lander, do you set extractor, converter and store tank on the lander?

Well is there somewhere kind of instruction manual? Wiki is not very clear about this?

Thank's

Do you store it in the extracting machine or do you need an empty tank to store it after extraction?
You need to either have a Kethane fuel tank with the drill, or wait until you have docked something that *does* have a

Kethane tank before drilling. For example, one system I've used is a little lightweight drilling probe that can be repositioned easly, but with no tanks; and a fuel shuttle with a KAS connector so that it can connect to the drill, extract some fuel from the ground, disconnect and fly off again.

Do you set converter on the extracting machine? do you need fuel lines? How do you transfer, from a store tank. For example if you want to use it on your lander, do you set extractor, converter and store tank on the lander?
Most of these are up to you. For example, you can choose to convert on the ground, or to convert on a proper spaceship; you can choose to convert to fuel on a floating station that interplanetary ships can dock with; or your can even choose to design a ship that stores and then converts a large tank of Kethane into whatever fuel it needs at that moment.

The only thing is that the 'normal' liquid fuel tank, if it is not touching the converter directly, should have a fuel line that runs from the tank to the converter. This seems counterintuitive but that's what works; it's like that because of the unique way in which LF/O is transfered through the ship.

Well is there somewhere kind of instruction manual? Wiki is not very clear about this?

Thank's

I think there are some good Kethane 'example' videos on youtube.com

Edited by GavinZac

I think there are some good Kethane 'example' videos on youtube.com

I am not complaining about you directly, but the idea you talked about here.

I hate this "solution." I want a wiki*. I want a text tutorial I can read. I don't want to have to alt tab back and forth to youtube, scrubbing back and forth in the video while Google decides if it wants to queue the whole thing or part of it, and requeues it whenever I go back 3 seconds in the file. I was (and still am) very very surprised that nobody has done this yet, that I can find.

I'm new to the whole Kethane thing and I'm no expert, else I'd write a tutorial of my own (I've done it for other stuff in the past, with subjects I'm more comfortable with). Part of the problem becoming an expert, though, is my lack of willingness to sit through dozens of "how to" videos and so am instead just trying stuff to see if it works.

*I know there's a wiki. I want one with information on it.

I KNOW NOW½!!!!½!½½!½!

If you do the amtospheric scoop function for kethane,do it like this: Use the "IntakeAir" Resource,but then make it storageable! And the collectors for it would be Like RAM air intake or motorized collector(You dont need to move,it uses electricity more than normal one and pumps kethaneGas quicker.)

I KNOW NOW½!!!!½!½½!½!

If you do the amtospheric scoop function for kethane,do it like this: Use the "IntakeAir" Resource,but then make it storageable! And the collectors for it would be Like RAM air intake or motorized collector(You dont need to move,it uses electricity more than normal one and pumps kethaneGas quicker.)

Sry for double post but, PLEASE NOTE THIS IDEA. Unless you thought about it already :/

replying to 5thHorseman

And what specific information do you want, its not some complex mechanic with ten thousand parts...

I will agree somethings are hard to find, like the instructions for the debug mode.

If/when Majiir decides to add information it will be when he/she decides. And from what I have see Majiir is spending time updating Kethane and not writing guides.

GavinZac

thank's for your explanations

So you confirm, i cannot stock kethane in whatever empty tank on my ship, I do need a kethane tank?

Can i imagine to install a converter between my drill and an empty fuel tank ( which is not a kethane tank), so that the converted kethane would fill directly my empty tank in liquid fuel and oxydizer?

That's why i think some more info on the wiki would be appreciate more than a dozen vid on you tube.

Thank's again

Edited by gilflo

Quoting from the Kethane Wiki...

Kethane must be stored before it can be used by other parts. Tanks are available in a range of sizes. All tanks start empty and must be filled during the mission.
Converters obey the fuel routing rules that apply to other parts. When producing liquid fuel or oxidizer, a converter must be properly connected to the receiving tanks. In most cases, placing the converter adjacent to the target tanks is enough. For some configurations, converters must be connected by fuel lines. Converters work by consuming a negative quantity of fuel, so counterintuitively, fuel should be routed from tanks to converters.

I am not complaining about you directly, but the idea you talked about here.

I hate this "solution." I want a wiki*. I want a text tutorial I can read. I don't want to have to alt tab back and forth to youtube, scrubbing back and forth in the video while Google decides if it wants to queue the whole thing or part of it, and requeues it whenever I go back 3 seconds in the file. I was (and still am) very very surprised that nobody has done this yet, that I can find.

I'm new to the whole Kethane thing and I'm no expert, else I'd write a tutorial of my own (I've done it for other stuff in the past, with subjects I'm more comfortable with). Part of the problem becoming an expert, though, is my lack of willingness to sit through dozens of "how to" videos and so am instead just trying stuff to see if it works.

*I know there's a wiki. I want one with information on it.

I agree with you, but at the moment neither the base game nor the mod are complete. A detailed documentation of Kethane 3.5, the version I started with a couple of months ago, would be useless at this point. It's difficult to document a moving target. As with most mods, messing around is in fact the best way to learn. What I actually wrote is almost everything there is to know anyway.

GavinZac

thank's for your explanations

So you confirm, i cannot stock kethane in whatever empty tank on my ship, I do need a kethane tank?

Yes, in KSP (as with real life), tanks are not just hollow barrels in which to pour liquid or gas; specific tanks store specific things. Kethane thus requires a tank, even just a tiny radial one attached to the drill, so that the Kethane has somewhere to be while it is being fed into the converter.

Can i imagine to install a converter between my drill and an empty fuel tank ( which is not a kethane tank), so that the converted kethane would fill directly my empty tank in liquid fuel and oxydizer?

I don't think so, something must have a non-zero capacity of Kethane. The converters do not have a capacity of kethane, they are only active, mechanical parts. This differs from, for example, the IonCross Crew Support converter which has storage capacity for both the input (CO2) and the output (02). I imagine that this is at least partially because of the many different outputs available. Realistically, such a small converter would not have storage capacity for 4 different gases and liquids of varying densities. To simulate this, you can think of a Kethane tank and converter as two 'parts' of the same mechanism.

That's why i think some more info on the wiki would be appreciate more than a dozen vid on you tube.

Honestly, I think this information is already on the wiki.

Great mod! It's really helpful for my interplanetary travels and colonies! You know what'd be cool? If the gas cloud erupting from a heavy drill site could push you away from it, since the Kethane is pressurized. I actually thought this was a feature(Which would have been impressive), but in fact it was just my rover moving around whilst I had the drills deployed... I felt so stupid once I realized I forgot to apply the brakes. On another note, could anyone help me in re-sizing the Heavy Drilling Unit to a 2.5m sized one? I think I've gotten the model scale correct, I just have no idea what to do with the node coordinates. Here's what I have most recently tried, the nodes are fine except they are displaced vertically.

// --- asset parameters ---

rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---

node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.83, 0.0, 0.0, 2.0, 0.0, 2

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.83, 0.0, 0.0, 2.0, 0.0, 2

node_attach = 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 3500

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = KE-X540 Heavy Drilling Unit

manufacturer = That engineer that we keep locked in the basement...yes, him.

description = Powerful? Yes. Efficient? NO!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 8

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.3

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 6

breakingForce = 50

breakingTorque = 50

maxTemp = 2900

fuelCrossFeed = True

MODEL

{

model = Kethane/Parts/kethane_heavyDrill/model

position = 0, -1.415, 0

scale = 1.25, 1.25, 1.25

rotation = 0, 0, 0

texture = model000

If I shouldn't be asking about this here, then just let me know, and maybe direct me to somewhere I could get help? :D

replying to 5thHorseman

And what specific information do you want, its not some complex mechanic with ten thousand parts...

I will agree somethings are hard to find, like the instructions for the debug mode.

If/when Majiir decides to add information it will be when he/she decides. And from what I have see Majiir is spending time updating Kethane and not writing guides.

When I first installed Kethane, I launched a probe around Kerbin and it started beeping but there was no other indication as to what was going on. In map mode I had the Kethane dialog box and "show grid overlay" was checked but I saw no grid. For all I knew, there was a setting somewhere that was not obvious, or maybe Kirbin had no Kethane deposits and was left out. Makes sense, seeing as the point of this mod is to mine on other planets. It was only through experimentation that I found the problem.

It turns out that another mod was conflicting with this one, and when I disabled that one the grid appeared. However, the wiki doesn't even say the grid will show up.

All that I needed was a link that said "tutorial" and all the tutorial needed was "put the scanner on your ship and launch it. Turn the scanner on and check the map. Turn on grid overlay and you'll see the grid" and I'd have known there was a problem with MY installation and not just something that I didn't know to do because Jeb lost the instruction manual. :D

And note: This is more of a gripe than anything. I just figure the 150th guy to say "I know I'll make a youtube video of how to do Kethane" would instead say "You know what? I'm going to write out how to do it instead."

Edited by 5thHorseman

Not sure how to get the intake to be inverted.

here's my attempted code;

MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceIntake
resourceName = Kethane
checkForOxygen = true
area = -0.01
intakeSpeed = 1
intakeTransformName = intake
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Kethane
amount = 0.02
maxAmount = 0.02
}

Is anyone able to help?

When I first installed Kethane, I launched a probe around Kerbin and it started beeping but there was no other indication as to what was going on. In map mode I had the Kethane dialog box and "show grid overlay" was checked but I saw no grid. For all I knew, there was a setting somewhere that was not obvious, or maybe Kirbin had no Kethane deposits and was left out. Makes sense, seeing as the point of this mod is to mine on other planets. It was only through experimentation that I found the problem.

It turns out that another mod was conflicting with this one, and when I disabled that one the grid appeared. However, the wiki doesn't even say the grid will show up.

All that I needed was a link that said "tutorial" and all the tutorial needed was "put the scanner on your ship and launch it. Turn the scanner on and check the map. Turn on grid overlay and you'll see the grid" and I'd have known there was a problem with MY installation and not just something that I didn't know to do because Jeb lost the instruction manual. :D

And note: This is more of a gripe than anything. I just figure the 150th guy to say "I know I'll make a youtube video of how to do Kethane" would instead say "You know what? I'm going to write out how to do it instead."

Well, Kethane is a pretty self explanatory mod, well, at least for me it was. XD But yea, when you are having problems it is nice to be able to have a tutorial of some sorts to help sort out your problems.

Presenting the latest in Kethane auto-mining innovation, the Kethane Mission Mk.2!

kethane_mk2_1.jpg

Key features include: a 1000m/s Kethane scanner probe at the top, the revolutionary Kethane Extractor Mk.2 in upside-down configuration, the fantastic new Fuel Tug Mk.2 in the middle, and a launch stage that's designed to lug its final fuel tank along as a fuel station to the Mun or Minmus (your choice).

kethane_mk2_2.jpg

The new Kethane Extractor features a KAS "mouse" attachment. This little automated rover is dropped each time the Fuel Tug is nearby, and it then skitters over and docks onto the Fuel Tug. All 100% Kerbal-free!

kethane_mk2_3.jpg

The new Fuel Tug features leaner and meaner design, plus a pair of docking ports on either side for the KAS mouse (of course).

Kiss your Kerbal problems goodbye with the new Kethane Mission Mk.2! Available where all fine rockets are sold. Some restrictions may apply, contact your physician before using.

I have a question regarding the license of the kethane addon. I am making a sub-addon that utilizes the sensors for use of scanning for Ores in the Extraplanetary Launchers. now what confuses me is this line

"Distribute configuration files containing KethaneResource config nodes for resources other than Kethane."

but I cant "Distribute modified versions of Kethane, in part or whole, including the packaged models, textures, plugins, part configurations and any other component, with exception of plugin source code." I dont understand what this means. Does it mean that I cant use the models as the ore scanners and distribute them? your license is very confusing to some.

I have a question regarding the license of the kethane addon. I am making a sub-addon that utilizes the sensors for use of scanning for Ores in the Extraplanetary Launchers. now what confuses me is this line

"Distribute configuration files containing KethaneResource config nodes for resources other than Kethane."

but I cant "Distribute modified versions of Kethane, in part or whole, including the packaged models, textures, plugins, part configurations and any other component, with exception of plugin source code." I dont understand what this means. Does it mean that I cant use the models as the ore scanners and distribute them? your license is very confusing to some.

You can make your own parts as allowed by the Kethane license; for example, you can create your own scanner that uses the KethaneDetector module. You cannot use the Kethane models for such a part, and you can't release modified configs of parts that come with Kethane. If you're making a scanner that works with Extraplanetary Launchpads, you don't need to define a KethaneResource; just add the KethaneDetector module to your part config.

I'd be happy to "proofread" your mod if you're concerned about the license. I wouldn't worry about it; it sounds like what you're doing is well within what the license allows.

So this means that the mod will develop at a faster pace? There is also a typo in the what is kethane.

Looking at and reading the license, you do in fact contradict the key sections of the license. This is in no way good as if it were to go to legal matters it would be invalidated. You can not have contradictory statements, it is just bad mojo Majiir.

As a general thought, you should have clear and defined parts of the license starting with Definitions, exemptions, Licensed Elements, and then terms and conditions. Worse and illegal, or in that very dark grey area is the last line. Let me see...

Definitions:

Kethane will be defined for the term of this document as "The Mod".

Kerbal space program, a wholly owned product of Squad, will be defined as "The Game".

Majiir will be considered "Owner" unless other wise stated with in the Exemptions section.

A user of the mod will be defined as "License Holder".

Exemptions:

This license does not cover or offer use of assets created by Keptin. Models, Textures, and Animations remain the sole copyright of Keptin and use of these elements must have written permission separate from this license, assets that apply are listed below. The Kethane Flag is the copyright of Dani-Sang and can not be distributed without written permission from the owner of the asset.

Terms:

the mod may be modified and distributed wholly or in part with the permission of the owner. Version of the mod that are altered or add functionality to the mod must contain a link to the original thread and mod project. This includes links in the opening post distributing the mod on a forum, placement of information in a CFG file, and any location that is agreed upon when use is granted. Use of the mod only pertains to elements that are owned wholly by the owner and not assets that are listed in the exemptions section.

Any material created by the license holder remains the copyright of the license holder in part or in full. Assets and materials that are altered by the license holder will become the property of the owner unless other terms can be agreed upon. The licence will remain in force for the foreseeable future or for a period of five years which ever comes first. If the mod is abandoned, discontinued, or the owner of the mod is disabled or killed, this agreement will be rendered null and void.

Edited by SyberSmoke

You can make your own parts as allowed by the Kethane license; for example, you can create your own scanner that uses the KethaneDetector module. You cannot use the Kethane models for such a part, and you can't release modified configs of parts that come with Kethane. If you're making a scanner that works with Extraplanetary Launchpads, you don't need to define a KethaneResource; just add the KethaneDetector module to your part config.

I'd be happy to "proofread" your mod if you're concerned about the license. I wouldn't worry about it; it sounds like what you're doing is well within what the license allows.

Ok. Ill tell you. I will be using your light sensor and the heavy sensor for detecting Ores instead of Kethane. Plus the texture will be modified to gray as opposed to green for people to easily find the right scanner for the job. Do you think that Im violating the license?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.