Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

One thing I'd like to see in a future update: A simple, very light, radially-attachable GPS-like device that shows the scanner map. Would be quite handy for those of us who still fly things manually and don't want to attach a kethane scanner to our miners just to see where the deposits are.

Also, is kethane itself effectively massless?

That's a good idea, just like the ISA MapSat GPS device.

In fact, super-awesomest would be including both maps in the same GPS device.

No, i tested it and did the math. As it stands, Kethane is a bit heavier than it's combined Fuel/Oxigen-Product. This, of course, mean the heavy converter. I hope i didn't make am mistake, though:

1T of Kethane (1000Units) results in ~89,4 Units of Fuel(+Oxygen)

1T of Fuel(+Oxygen) is 90 Units

It has some impact with heavier Tanks, but personally I prefer just to refine it in orbit. Makes the fuel station a bit more versatile.

btw: Thanks to all devs of this mod, this one is awsome! This whole thing allows tons of new strategies and really enriches the game.

put a small 2.5 meter flat tank on top of the converter then run the fuel lines from that out to your other thanks, Add the fuel balancer mod so when you're converting it will fill all your tanks, without that once the attached tank gets full it will stop making fuel unless you manually connect it.

Any Chance for a link? google can't seem to find it.

Majiir, are there any plans to show Kethane on planet surfaces, say as green waypoints after it's been detected? Looking at the little map is fine, but without Mechjeb for Latitude and Longitude info, I'm missing my landings by several kilometers regularly.

hell even with mechjeb im missing mine by at least 20 km if i put in coords by hand, 5 to 12 if picka spot is used...mechjeb 2.0.6 ....

Are you joking? I thought they fixed that! Okay, looks like I'll have to learn graphics for Unity and make a waypoint plugin :s

the trick to mechjeb 2 landing at coordinates is select the target map click anywhere on the map then put the numbers in by hand from the kethane detector. at least that has been working for me. trying to target on the map with a yellow indicator on yellow letters is impossible and just putting the numbers in by hand wont work either.

How does mechjeb handle landing? Does it wait until it gets close to the ground and boost at max power to slow to a stop right before hitting the ground? Or does it take a slow approach and waste fuel?

My landers are chronically low on fuel, which is why I grabbed Kethane in the first place.

Edited by ummwut

ive been setting my PE to 50km coming into the mun so it does fairly well on fuel. but it does a inclination burn, deorbit burn, braking burn and final descent with a burn at the bottom to arrest the fall. just make sure you have a tank converter kethane tank sandwich otherwise youll be stuck like I did for about a million times till I finally figured it out.

Edited by COL.Neville

I have been testing MJ2 lately. I can tell you one thing to make sure of is that you NEVER enable auto warp on the landing auto pilot. I can also tell you there are some times that the game will add phantom accelerations to your ship that aren't apparent.

Problems with autowarp.

Mechjeb sometimes starts the warp before it stops burning the engines. You can imagine what happens then. 1.9.8 never has this problem.

Mechjeb can control and maintain the phantom accelerations if you use warp with physics or just don't warp.

Restart the game after you have the orbit setup. Then initialize the landing guidance. That seems to put a stop to the phantom accelerations for the most part.

Use the F5 key a lot.

Kethane rocks! (for relevancy)

So consensus is that mechjeb kinda sucks at it's job (MJ2 moreso), and Kethane does not. Glad we got that sorted.

Not that the mechjeb guys are even doing a terrible job, it's an amazingly heroic effort to figure out how the game works, and use that to your advantage.

Mechjeb 2 is coming along nicely actually. I'm currently running the 2.0.7 release and the only problems I have with it is it won't accept landing coordinates typed in manually and sometime the rendezvous AP doesn't seem to take into account the size of the target object and hits them. But that's something you can prevent if you watch it in the last phase and just use rcs to move the ship a little.

So consensus is that mechjeb kinda sucks at it's job (MJ2 moreso), and Kethane does not. Glad we got that sorted.

Not that the mechjeb guys are even doing a terrible job, it's an amazingly heroic effort to figure out how the game works, and use that to your advantage.

oh yeah..mechjeb is great..i just dont get why they didnt use the code they KNEW worked instead of basically rewriting it all and Fing it up...but i digress...is there a way to replenish kethane deposits? i have no idea how..but i pulled out only about 150,000 to 200,000 units from a huge deposit on minmus and its empty already...

yeah use the debugger and it will respawn everything. it may move them though so you would have to rescan everything.

yeah i looked for that the other day...do you know where the link is? or is it a command in game when kethane pack is installed or what?

Hrm, says 0/1 when im flying in an atmosphere [totally works though] but the way it was presented I assumed it would run off of something you could contain and use it in a vaccuum....oh well back to the drawing board I suppose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.