Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

How do you do that, though? What does the satellite have to do with how fast it maps?

More scanners= better per pass resolution in time warp. There is a lot about this if you look back....seems like it comes up every several pages or so.

When you are scanning at 1000x warp scanner loses data, and your map is full of "holes". But if you put more scanners on the ship, their combined accuracy rises. Eventually, with enough scanners active at the same moment, you will get 100% accurate map on highest warp setting. But it won't be a small and light satellite anymore :P

Edited by Scotius
Typo

Scanning becomes intermittent at 50x (at least for my computer)

Then your not using enough scanners. 30 of the larger scanners will map Kerbin at x1000 time warp with no loss of per pass resolution. In the right orbit you can map all of kerbin like that in about 18min real time.

Its possible to get stable no loss scanning at the highest time warp there is, so if your still getting holes your not using enough for the speed your running.

One word of warning about scanning at 1000x: even if you have enough RTG capacity, too small a battery capacity will cause dropouts because of the way electricity works in warp. My ship with 36 scanners worked fine at 100x warp (electricty at 60% (light) and 40% (dark)) but went intermittent at 1000x warp (electricity around 0%). I had only two of the small KSPX round batteries. Moral of the story: lots of scanners, lots of RTGs (hexcan RTGs are nice) and lots of battery. By the time you've got that much RTG power, I'm not sure solar is worth it.

It should be generated the first time you run KSP with Kethane installed. Delete the one you made, launch KSP and see if it makes one. The full cfg on my system looks like this:

ShowInMenu = False
ScanningSound = True
ShowOverlay = False
WindowLeft = 1123
WindowTop = 581

There's a blank line following the last key (although I don't believe that's important because it's just a keypair file). TBH I don't see why it wouldn't work just using the lines from my previous post unless you're not using the most recent version. I would personally try just deleting the settings.cfg you hand made, launch KSP, make a ship (command pod + kethane scanner), launch, end flight, go to the tracking center, close ksp and modify the settings.cfg that should be generated.

Not entirely sure when it generates the file thus the launch/tracking station junk above but that should cover all configurable lines that would need to be initialized at any given point (position x2, detection sound, show overlay toggle).

Thank you for the reply, but that didn't do it.

I build a ship with a Kethane scanner on it, launched it into Kerbin orbit and scanned for a couple orbits. I <ESC> to the Space Center, then the Tracking Station and took control of the ship again and scanned for a few more orbits. Back to the Space Center and Tracking Station, then quit the game.

File isn't there.

I run Win7 Home Premium and have KSP from Steam. It's a fresh reinstall and Kethane 0.7.2 is the only version of this mod that has ever been on my system.

I do have a few other mods: Subassembly Loader (fixed for 0.20), Improved Maneuver Nodes, Docking Camera, Quantum Fuel Lines, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and MechJeb.

I dug a little deeper and found config.xml in GameData\Kethane\Plugins\PluginData\MMI_Kethane

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config>
<bool name="scanningSound">1</bool>
</config>

I made it look like this:

<config>
<bool name="showoverlay">0</bool>
</config>

No change. And when I got out of the game, the xml file had reverted to its original state.

I did a search for settings.cfg my Kerbal Space Program folder and only the main one for the game appeared.

I may just have to live with it.

Thanks again.

I know scanning is strictly Kethane-related, unlike the fuel routing issues which used to fill this thread, but a lot of the same questions are getting asked over and over again. Would one of you fine experts consider fleshing out the wiki? Or have any other ideas?

Kethane fans might be interested in this video of Razchek showing off third-party mod integration for his LightSwitch GUI project:

If kethane is already being converted into liquid fuel and oxidizer what is water going to be used for?

Support for collecting water (and other oceans) is an API change, not a new gameplay feature. It may find use within Kethane itself but there are no definite plans for that.

Small drill (radial mounted) got some lenght change somewhere between 0.5 and 0.7?

That small drill didn't change. (Not intentionally, anyway!) There are some differences in how the drills do raycasting to detect a planet surface, so that may have something to do with it. In particular, make sure the drill head is really submerged, not just barely in the ground.

I dug a little deeper and found config.xml in GameData\Kethane\Plugins\PluginData\MMI_Kethane

That file is only generated by versions 0.7.1 or earlier. Where did you download Kethane from?

I'm going to be adding kethane and mechjeb tutorials to my series, I'm just sitting in the airport on a layover on my way home right now from a month long vacation.

Fuel routing and all of the basics and a couple non-basic things will be covered.

Thank you for the reply, but that didn't do it.

I build a ship with a Kethane scanner on it, launched it into Kerbin orbit and scanned for a couple orbits. I <ESC> to the Space Center, then the Tracking Station and took control of the ship again and scanned for a few more orbits. Back to the Space Center and Tracking Station, then quit the game.

File isn't there.

I run Win7 Home Premium and have KSP from Steam. It's a fresh reinstall and Kethane 0.7.2 is the only version of this mod that has ever been on my system.

I do have a few other mods: Subassembly Loader (fixed for 0.20), Improved Maneuver Nodes, Docking Camera, Quantum Fuel Lines, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and MechJeb.

<config>
</config>

I made it look like this:

<config>
<bool name="showoverlay">0</bool>
</config>

No change. And when I got out of the game, the xml file had reverted to its original state.

I did a search for settings.cfg my Kerbal Space Program folder and only the main one for the game appeared.

I may just have to live with it.

Thanks again.

windows 7 with steam is your problem you need to open up permissions in your applocal folder or move your steam install to anywhere but program files or config settings will not be saved and new files will not be written unless the program is specifically written for windows under the winvista+ rules witch requires all the configs saves/etc be written to the user folder. personally i make a separate steam folder in the root of my main disk.

ok...someone may have answered this but i missed it..but anyway..i upgraded to 7.2, have overlay turned on, the grid is showing up on the map screen, i have almost totally scanned the mun, but nothing is showing up on the grid. i know there is kethane there because its showing on the little map when i turn it on from the detector, but still nothing on the geo grid...any ideas?

ok...someone may have answered this but i missed it..but anyway..i upgraded to 7.2, have overlay turned on, the grid is showing up on the map screen, i have almost totally scanned the mun, but nothing is showing up on the grid. i know there is kethane there because its showing on the little map when i turn it on from the detector, but still nothing on the geo grid...any ideas?

You need to uninstall the old version.

You need to uninstall the old version.

yup, that did it..thanks! on another note...i use extraplanetary launchpads...is this going to be compatible with that or could you tell me that info, or ask it on thier thread?

I've got it installed, too. I just finished mapping Moho, and, well, note the resource counts on this large screenshot with an unreasonable number of mechjeb tabs.

If I change to showing the location of Ore, the hex map will change to display only Ore; this map is not a Kethane-and-Ore map, and it is not a Kethane-union-Ore map, it is strictly a Kethane map. To me, this is preferable.

I don't see those two options. All i see after i click open debug is "close debug"

clicking on 'open debug' should pop open a little window that kinda looks like the old mapping screen. In that window you should have a little map and 2 big buttons 'gen' and 'gen here'.

Lemme make sure its working in current version and ill edit this post...I thought it was though.

Edit: It works, this is what you should see with debug:

1m4UsyV.png

Edited by KhaosCorp

clicking on 'open debug' should pop open a little window that kinda looks like the old mapping screen. In that window you should have a little map and 2 big buttons 'gen' and 'gen here'.

Lemme make sure its working in current version and ill edit this post...I thought it was though.

But no extra window pops up...

I know scanning is strictly Kethane-related, unlike the fuel routing issues which used to fill this thread, but a lot of the same questions are getting asked over and over again. Would one of you fine experts consider fleshing out the wiki? Or have any other ideas?

Kethane fans might be interested in this video of Razchek showing off third-party mod integration for his LightSwitch GUI project:

Support for collecting water (and other oceans) is an API change, not a new gameplay feature. It may find use within Kethane itself but there are no definite plans for that.

That small drill didn't change. (Not intentionally, anyway!) There are some differences in how the drills do raycasting to detect a planet surface, so that may have something to do with it. In particular, make sure the drill head is really submerged, not just barely in the ground.

That file is only generated by versions 0.7.1 or earlier. Where did you download Kethane from?

Amazing!

:D

But no extra window pops up...

And your sure you have absolutly no bits of an old kethane install hanging about? current version downloaded from this thread(and ONLY this thread) and installed properly?

Have you noticed any other Kethane features not working?

And your sure you have absolutly no bits of an old kethane install hanging about? current version downloaded from this thread(and ONLY this thread) and installed properly?

Have you noticed any other Kethane features not working?

Oh wait. The debugger only works when there's only one debugger on the vessel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.