Insane Eve mission...

Mikki

As the title says in the early third tier pops up a new side mission "Land on Eve with a vessel with insert number here Kerbals and return to Kerbin". (I don`t want to spoil the exact number here.)

Okay, despite my insane amount of playtime in KSP1 i never made it back from Eve`s surface. The science reward for pulling this off is not that bad or unreasonable, however.

I love this kind of challenge, it is the right choice for seasoned players who still can`t leave their hands from throwing Kerbals around Kerbol.

I like the idea that players can untrack missions until the available parts make it feasible for them, or wrap their minds around a challenge with less technology at hands.

Will you even try this or ignore such proposals, or attempt them later in the tech tree? 

2 hours ago, Mikki said:

As the title says in the early third tier pops up a new side mission "Land on Eve with a vessel with insert number here Kerbals and return to Kerbin". (I don`t want to spoil the exact number here.)

Okay, despite my insane amount of playtime in KSP1 i never made it back from Eve`s surface. The science reward for pulling this off is not that bad or unreasonable, however.

I love this kind of challenge, it is the right choice for seasoned players who still can`t leave their hands from throwing Kerbals around Kerbol.

I like the idea that players can untrack missions until the available parts make it feasible for them, or wrap their minds around a challenge with less technology at hands.

Will you even try this or ignore such proposals, or attempt them later in the tech tree? 

I am gonna try it when all other side missions are done. 

I'm trying it now but I think I'll wait until I unlock the large inflatable heatshield. I have a 3-stage lander design that should work and is probably launchable from Kerbin, but doing it the KSP1 way of overlaping large heatshields results in some instability during Eve re-entry tests causing it to eventually flip over and burn up (maybe if I try to do it in a few passes rather than directly to 30km...).

Honestly this is one mission where in the future I think it's probably best to wait until one of the next updates adds some insane tier 4 engine that would work better on eve than what we have now. Eve landers are hard to make and pretty much impossible to get right without cheat menu teleportation use for testing designs. If it doesn't burn up the whole thing falls apart during touchdown, reentry or when the parachutes open then the ladders get messed up and kerbals can't go grab a sample and return or something else goes wrong.

Edited by Pulstar

26 minutes ago, Jeq said:

...Landing vessel to Eve is bigger challenge than leaving it. :D

...hm... this relates colorfull to some certain persons i`ve met... :D

Eve returns are pretty tough but not at all impossible. If the science rewards are worth it I'd definitely do that mission, even without advanced engines.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, Pulstar said:

I'm trying it now but I think I'll wait until I unlock the large inflatable heatshield. I have a 3-stage lander design that should work and is probably launchable from Kerbin, but doing it the KSP1 way of overlaping large heatshields results in some instability during Eve re-entry tests causing it to eventually flip over and burn up (maybe if I try to do it in a few passes rather than directly to 30km...).

Honestly this is one mission where in the future I think it's probably best to wait until one of the next updates adds some insane tier 4 engine that would work better on eve than what we have now. Eve landers are hard to make and pretty much impossible to get right without cheat menu teleportation use for testing designs. If it doesn't burn up the whole thing falls apart during touchdown, reentry or when the parachutes open then the ladders get messed up and kerbals can't go grab a sample and return or something else goes wrong.

Just FYI the inflatable heat shield seems bugged at the moment and doesn't appear to actually be a heat shield at all but rather just a wind break (in addition to a bug regarding it not properly deploying)

There are multiples problems to resolve: Eve atmosphere entry, landing, and coming back, as well as lifting a giant rocket from Kerbin (too many parts would induce game stability issue)

Challenging though, mission complete:

1 hour ago, ww1612 said:

There are multiples problems to resolve: Eve atmosphere entry, landing, and coming back, as well as lifting a giant rocket from Kerbin (too many parts would induce game stability issue)

Challenging though, mission complete:

Nice idea regarding the heatshields up top, I'll try it on my design to see if it fixes the stability issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.