No transition between ladders [Have to press F to transition from one ladder to another]

RabidSmurf

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows 11 | CPU: AMD 5900x | GPU: rtx3080 | RAM32gb

When a craft utilizes multiple different ladders (Either built in command pod ladders or attached ladder parts) to create one continuous ladder down the side of the of space craft, kerbals will stop at the end of each and it isn't always possible to grab onto the next ladder even when they placed overlapping or very close to each other. Kerbals should smoothly transition to the next ladder unless the ladders are very far apart (if the distance is longer than the kerbal),  like they did  in ksp1.

6 answers to this question

True, but I don't find it annoying.

I've encountered many situations in KSP 1 where a Kerbal could not go from one ladder to the next one... whereas is always worked in KSP 2.

Maybe it could be set as an option?

On 1/1/2024 at 7:41 AM, RabidSmurf said:

Kerbals should smoothly transition to the next ladder unless the ladders are very far apart (if the distance is longer than the kerbal),  like they did  in ksp1.

Confirmed this issue as well, it caught me off-guard and I really had to work at it to work around this when climbing down or especially UP the ladders, since the resolution is not intuitive.

Regardless of whether other people find this annoying or not, it should be fixed.

3 hours ago, The Space Peacock said:

imo its only unintuitive because its done differently to ksp1.

To me it's unintuitive because we would not stop  our ascent or descent in the real world to switch between ladder sections unless there was a good reason. And when we can align the ladder rungs in the game, there is no appearance of a good reason to be forced to stop. We would simply continue down the next rung.

And also because many of the players of KSP2 also played KSP1.

whether its 'fixed' or not is up to the devs

This is a given.

Its unintuitive and one of those things were you sit there going "what is going on" for a couple minutes until you figure it out. I reverted flights and tried different ladder positions, sinking it deeper/pulling out further from the body, overlapping them more, etc, all of this long before I figured out I could "grab" the next section with the hotkey. I think unintuitive things like this should be minimized especially when easing new player experience is part of their stated goal, reduce finicky/unintuitive stuff as much as possible.

Definitely a low priority though compared to maneuver nodes, fairings, and other gameplay and QOL issues

Since this was birthed again from the Archive, just posting that I agree with the comments made here that this feels unintuitive.  Embeded video in my post showing the confusion it causes and leaves the player shouting WHY at the screen.