10 Kerbals Eve Mission

ww1612

Game version 0.2.0

Use "Flight Plan" "K2-D2" and "Maneuver Node Controller" for assistance. Thank you modders!

Two-crew pod plus 8 seats:

lGwMpLH.png

>400 ton rocket to launch from Eve. Mix of T-1 and KS-25 engines.

(Cross-feeding configuration,  the delta-V calculation is inaccurate)

jNHF3bw.jpg

Heat shields on the bottom to protect the rocket during Eve entry; heat shields extending wider on the top to stabilize the orientation, preventing flipping during Eve entry.

iCHsjVZ.jpg

>7000 ton ultra-heavy rocket to launch from Kerbin:

Z2OKHa9.jpg

On low Kerbin orbit:

bOdKpkA.jpg

Eve fly-by. Should target for ~40km for air-brake:

FhN1WmJ.jpg

It's fast, it's hot!

Go8mf3s.jpg

DvgTOZP.jpg

Slow down:

1KiISHD.jpg

Landed!

(Landing legs are fragile now, ks-25 engine are better for touching down!) 

rwYKFTE.jpg

Back to low Eve orbit:

WDDxAmK.jpg

Dock with a fuel tank vessel (launched separately) for re-fueling. Would have ~2400 dV to come back:

v7n7sd0.jpg

... Made a mistake:

The medium heat shield cannot protect the two-crew pod (although it is also the medium size). 

So made another docking at Kerbin orbit to bring a large heat shield:

zRnzOgQ.jpg

landed!

VWF1g1n.jpg

Note that there are still some bugs

Sometimes, it can trigger the mission completion for the "Under Pressure". But sometimes, it wouldn't.

Save-load a lot and use teleport to get my vessel back to Kerbin to check the situation. It seems to me that this bug is pretty random.

wI3KkAa.jpg

nJ2Brh2.png

I must say, for this kind of challenge, this kind of bugs are pretty annoying and depressing.

Edited by ww1612

Really nice job. I managed an Eve mission in KSP1 (single Kerbal) and have built and tested a launcher for this mission, but can't get it down to the surface with the inflatable heatshields not working properly. Your build looks far more compact than mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you have to make your Kerbals walk on Eve to get the mission accomplished?  Because I just returned from Eve with 10 Kerbals and did not get mission accomplished. Wondering if it's because I did not put ladders on the vessel and have them walk on Eve a bit.

Imagine the force on those heat shields :D

Nice mission. I have yet to go to Eve. With all the things I've heard I dread going there.

On 1/5/2024 at 11:09 AM, ww1612 said:

Dock with a fuel tank vessel (launched separately) for re-fueling. Would have ~2400 dV to come back:

How and when did the fuel tank vessel arrive?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 4:24 PM, rogerawong said:

Did you have to make your Kerbals walk on Eve to get the mission accomplished?  Because I just returned from Eve with 10 Kerbals and did not get mission accomplished. Wondering if it's because I did not put ladders on the vessel and have them walk on Eve a bit.

I just completed this mission. I did not get any kerbals out of their chairs. Mission still completed.