Thinking about multiplayer timing.

Jeq

Is it really best to have multiplayer last at roadmap?

When it comes out last, there will be lot of things to reconsider in game, lot of bugs and lot of problems.

Shouldn't multiplayer at least be published at Beta state right now so feedback can be given before physics/game state makes implementing multiplayer harder nut to crack?

Me thinking about it, it should be published and evolve parallel with game, so it feels it is built into game, not something what is added later.

And hire praydog to make VR support to ksp 2 :D

Edited by Jeq

It's been said multiple times that all the features are being designed with MP in mind. And it's not there earlier because it's the least important feature on the list. For most players it won't add anything to the game, for me it could be some post-1.0 patch for all I care, I don't need it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

It's been said multiple times that all the features are being designed with MP in mind. And it's not there earlier because it's the least important feature on the list. For most players it won't add anything to the game, for me it could be some post-1.0 patch for all I care, I don't need it.

Where you did get stats for "most"? Is there some poll going somewhere?

Everything is made something in mind, but to succeed order and technique must be correct. I have friends and i know lot of people whom likes playing multiplayer games together. You are not most people.

Seems like you don't know or understand what world and possiblities opens with multiplayer. 

Edited by Jeq

7 minutes ago, Jeq said:

Everything is made something in mind, but to succeed order and technique must be correct. I have friends and i know lot of people whom likes playing multiplayer games together. You are not most people.

Seems like you don't know or understand what world and possiblities opens with multiplayer. 

Im gonna have to agree here. I think one of the big major, only bad things about KSP 1 was no multiplayer. Even in the state the game is in, it would be a blast. Im sure there is quite a few people waiting for it. That said...i would rather have a complete game, than a broken one with a few friends. Unless its funny-broken. Then we just become laughing idiots for hours at a time.

Edited by Jacob Kerman

1 minute ago, Jacob Kerman said:

Im gonna have to agree here. I think one of the big major, only bad things about KSP 1 was no multiplayer. Even in the state the game is in, it would be a blast. Im sure there is quite a few people waiting for it. That said...i would rather have a complete game, than a broken one with a few friends. Unless its funny-broken. Then we just become laughing idiots for hours at a time.

I think bug hunting with friends would be funnier than bug hunting alone. Now that all missions are completed there aint much to do right now. I used to play KSP with LMP mod just to cooperatively build stations around planets but multiplayer was very clumsy and buggy laggy.

2 minutes ago, Jeq said:

I think bug hunting with friends would be funnier than bug hunting alone. Now that all missions are completed there aint much to do right now. I used to play KSP with LMP mod just to cooperatively build stations around planets but multiplayer was very clumsy and buggy laggy.

I can respect that. your probably right, it would be much more fun. But, after the outrage that took place in the beginning with bugs and crap like that, i think their focus is getting it ship shape ASAP before any multiplayer

The 

12 minutes ago, Jacob Kerman said:

I can respect that. your probably right, it would be much more fun. But, after the outrage that took place in the beginning with bugs and crap like that, i think their focus is getting it ship shape ASAP before any multiplayer

This was the plan since EA was announced - build all the systems with MP in mind, tie it all together and get it working well, and then add MP.

I’m quite looking forwards to MP (the hilarious griefing potential of nuclear fission pulse propulsion is immense, and then there’s the space piracy angle), but given my time constraints I won’t be playing a lot of it and of all the roadmap features it’s the one I can live most without.

Multiplayer at the end sounds fine to me. Everything else really has to be working before they do that. If I had any critique it might be that they should move resources before interstellar. 

23 minutes ago, Jeq said:

Given what kind of playerbase the first game gathered, it wouldn't be far from truth to assume that most of them enjoy mostly singleplayer games.

Or take a look here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/148812-what-have-you-been-playing-recently-other-than-ksp/

Even then, it's an optional feature. It's announced because there's interest, that's for sure, but it's not the most important selling point. The colonies, the other star systems, those are core features. MP will remain for many as additional never used option in main menu.

32 minutes ago, Jeq said:

I have friends and i know lot of people whom likes playing multiplayer games together

So do I. But none of the people I know ever had any interest in KSP, and I know plenty of space nerds. We play minecraft or rocket league instead. Word against a word.

34 minutes ago, Jeq said:

Seems like you don't know or understand what world and possiblities opens with multiplayer

Where did I say that? Sure, go ahead and play space race or cooperation, once it's there. I'll take nothing from that, it's interfering with my own exploration at my own pace (which is quite slow, the mentioned minecraft? On group servers when I dig up my first iron, there are people running in enchanted diamond sets on the way to beat the dragon. I'm not in a rush, hate that)

24 minutes ago, Jeq said:

think bug hunting with friends would be funnier than bug hunting alone

Yeah no. I want a stable experience when I'm playing online. Little to no bugs, reliable connection... If anything, other people would get in a way of catching a good reproducible bug.

Work on the game with MP in mind, make it as stable as possible, then add MP as final product, everyone (who wanted it, the rest will shrug it) is happy.

Posted (edited)

I have 4k hours in ksp and i like it multiplayer. Just because i like ksp doesn't mean i don't need it MP or doesn't mean that majority of people wants KSP 2 be single player game nor adds anything to them if they liked first game, thats absurd thinking.

MP surely was one of biggest selling points in KSP 2 reveal announcments.

Edited by Jeq

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.