Suggestion For Distant Future: Sol as a future system.

We know there are two interstellar systems planned. But this game could effectively go on forever by adding new systems as DLC.

What if the Sol System was one of them? We have archetypes with Jool and Duna and Mun. Why not have the actual system? Imagine the Easter Eggs you can have with that.

Spoiler

Final Mission: Leave a Sensor device on Sol-3. An unlockable bit of Sci-Tech, which looks like a black rectangle, in 1:4:9 proportions.

I imagine that this will remain the realm of mods.  But it would be cool to have a mod for that.

Though I seriously doubt this will happen if only for technical and tonal consistency reasons.

The first major technical problem is the question of what size to make the Sol system.  Is it Kerbal scale, or real scale?  Because Kerbal planets are pretty small.

The second major technical problem is having a star system with another space faring civilization.  How would that look in-game?  Humans have spacecraft, so would there be an AI controlling that?  Kerbals meeting modern or near-future humans would be some serious scope creep to the game.

You could also have the solar system be from the distant past or future, where humans haven't developed space travel yet or humans have destroyed themselves.  But the KSP2 devs have a very specific tone in mind for the game, and anything like that would break from it.  I don't see how humans would fit the tone at all.  The whole reason of using Kerbals instead of humans in KSP is because it makes the tone less serious.  Crashing Jeb into the Mun at 2 kilometers per second becomes funny and not a tragedy.  Leaving a Kerbal alone in a tiny capsule for a decade is something they don't seem bothered by, but we know that if you did that to a human it would be torture.  The KSP2 devs have described the tone of KSP2 as a funny man straight man comedic duo, except that the funny man is the Kerbals and the straight man is the world they find themselves in.  The universe is realistic, beautiful, vast, and full of wonders a billion times larger than you; and the Kerbals fall up the stairs into it with the power of pure obsessive perseverance.  I don't know how you would add humans into that without breaking that tone and that dynamic.

Edited by mikeman7918

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.