FPS doesn't change

I seem to get low 20's FPS constantly when playing on a planet surface and about 30 in space. It doesn't matter what I change, or what setting I use, that's what I get. There are posts on here with people getting, even if only at times, 40,50, 60fps. But for me it doesn't seem to matter whether I try 4K, 1080p, max settings, low settings, anti aliasing on of off. I do however get nearly 50fps in the R&D screen and I get 165 on the main menu so it's not a hard limit I've set somewhere accidentally.

i7 12700H 12th Gen, Geforce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop (8GB), 16GB RAM, Windows 11.

Is this a game issue or a me issue that I can try and sort with some system settings?

Hi there , your Laptop (Let me guess Acer...) is very beefy, and i think it protects itself from overheating by throttling the cpu clockspeed to the recommended limits by the manufacturer. Desktop cpus can be easier cooled and therefore overclock for long times, gpus the same...

You can download "ThrottleStop 9.6", a free and safe software to change clockspeed and other values of your system, please read the online user manual closely before you melt your laptop unintended.

I have a Desktop I7 11700f, RTX 3060 12 Gb Vram and 32 Gb ram, Win 11 pro.

Note that this CPU is intentionally locked to overclocking, 2.5 ghz baseclock, but "Throttlestop" can workaround this and i run the cpu with 4.9 ghz peak like a k (unlocked) version. I have an intel watercooler but the OEM works well up to 4.2 ghz, no problem.

Overclocking your expensive laptop will likely heat the cpu to unbearable values and it is not worth to melt it. Be carefull...

Overclocking also increases the powerconsumption and can degrade the lifetime of the cpu.

Edit: The performance of your laptop is very likely at the very top. I cannot imagine many laptops running KSP2 at the moment. Most laptops won`t run KSP2 at all, maybe 10 fps or even less...

Edited by Mikki
many, 9.6

Its an Erazer Beast x30. It already runs hot as you'd expect so I'll not look to fry it anymore. I don't know enough about this sort of stuff  but here are the Nvidia stats when controlling a lander on Duna compared to controlling a satellite in space. In both places, both the CPU and GPU seem under utilised so maybe that is a machine throttling issue, or maybe this is what is meant when 'they' say that KSP2 isn't optimized? Anyhow, it hasn;t stopped me playing and it doesn't suffer any slow downs, its a very steady 20-30fps.

Jco94uj.png

Jco9gyb.png

...Believe me , very few people can run KSP2 with this performance on a mobile device such as yours! :0.0:

Humans cannot perceive more than 24-25 frames per second, so all the rage for more frames is basically nonsense either way.

I am very satisfied with 30 fps, everything above goes into energy waste and fan noise.

If you think about purchasing a desktop at some point i recommend to stay with intel chips and windoze,  the motherboard is crucial and is the last part to save money on.

If i was you i would be very happy with this machine, no need to interfere with the OEM setting for more frames really.

Edit: KSP2 is very good optimized in my opinion, it loads all cores (multithread) and the game engine is a good choice i think...

Edited by Mikki

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2024 at 1:18 AM, grdinosauriarqm said:

KSP2 suddenly started running at 4fps consistently, and it will not change. It doesn't worsen or improve. It is just stuck at 4fps. Yes; the frame updates once every 0.25 seconds.

I've been noticing this intermittently too (5900X CPU, 4070 Ti-Super GPU)... my best guess/observation is that it seems to happen most reliably when I am in low-orbit around a body [it was particularly brutal around Tylo] and have the mini-lab running.

Could it be that the game doing the check "is this the proper biome to run the scan?" is dragging down the FPS?

Update: last night I was running my same craft around another Joolian moon when I observed that the mini-lab actually wasn’t “the end of the world” on performance nearly as much as transmitting science back home.

Craft on (low) orbit / sciencing: pretty close to 30 fps

Craft on (low) orbit / transmitting: under 10 fps

(I took a screenshot both during transmission and immediately afterwards that I’ll try to remember to find tonight and include here)

11 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

I took a screenshot both during transmission and immediately afterwards that I’ll try to remember to find tonight and include here

:cry: Steam's F12 screenshots don't SHOW the Steam FPS-overlay :angry:

Video footage of basically the same observation (but around Eve instead of Joolian moons) -- I zoomed into the upper-right corner of my captured footage to make the FPS counter easier to see