Mid-burn staging event markers shift to the right when performing a burn

Flush Foot

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor | GPU: RTX 3080 | RAM48GB DDR4

Reddit post: Only 1 other person responded in the affirmative

Video: Staging indicators move during a burn (I do know that the 0.2.1 burn from the footage was 'a bit screwy' because I had changed staging before performing the burn, but I had experienced that 'sliding' behaviour 1-2 times before bothering to capture 'something' to show)

Obviously this is not a huge problem (unless someone stages "as indicated" and not "when empty"), just 'odd' as it was not happening before.

If I had to guess, I would say that on a 1000 m/s burn with 500 m/s remaining in the 'first' stage, the 'drop stage halfway (1/2) through burn' indicator shifts towards the right "as if" the whole 1000 m/s burn remains to be performed but with the marker now showing staging-event is planned as if the currently remaining dV [pretend it's 125 m/s by this point] was all that was available from the start, putting the staging indicator at 1/8 into the whole burn, not 1/2.

To reproduce: (have not tested this, but it should work)

1. Cheat a small probe with 2 small tanks and 2 small engines into orbit, each as their own stage.
    Ex: HECS core /1.25m decoupler/ Donut tank + Terrier /1.25m decoupler/ Donut tank + Terrier
  2. Plan a prograde burn to consume all of the craft's delta-v.
  3. Staging will be projected, likely after 48% (or so) of the burn has run.
  4. Perform the planned burn.
  5. Watch the 'stage separation indicator' shift right (even jumping past the "burn progress bar")
  6. Profit.

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

3 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: Spacewarp, Wayfarer's Wings, No Seizure Warning | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel Core i3-10105F CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 | RAM32GB

When performing maneuvers, there is a pretty high chance that it "drifts" such as displaying accurate burn info and burn progress in the progress bar, however staging events displayed in the bar get shifted earlier and even sometimes showing staging events that don't occur during the burn. It happens with, or without mods and throughout different vessels and SOI's.

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

I could be imagining this, or maybe decoupling a spent stage (two crafts / two burns) did impart a small rotation to my craft, but in yesterday's play-session, I saw my craft (and I believe maneuver-marker, to which I was 'locked on') noticeably re-orient itself once the previous stage was released.

My best guess is that, along with the moving 'separation indicator' reported here, the game recalculates where the burn "should" have been pointing all along, as if the whole burn was using the engine(s) now available to it.

[I will try to test this hypothesis tonight too, along with the 1-3 others I said I would... I should really be writing these down somewhere]

Video is processing now, but I have footage of the confused maneuvers:

I no longer think it applies to my original post/report though, so I will make a new one specifically for this.