Is there a way to make fully custom Surface Features?

I want to add Surface Features to my planets in my planet pack. I've seen that the JNSQ Mod has done that by using the stock Surface Features, but I want fully custom ones. Is there a way I might be able to do that?

On 2/9/2024 at 11:48 PM, Oprissmian said:

I want to add Surface Features to my planets in my planet pack. I've seen that the JNSQ Mod has done that by using the stock Surface Features, but I want fully custom ones. Is there a way I might be able to do that?

There are two ways to approach this but they fall very short in their own ways:

1. Make scatter objects (like stock scatters) and an original experiment to be used around these scatters. Kopernicus includes a module for hiding the experiment toggle associated with a specific scatter until the kerbal or part that holds the experiment is close enough. Beyond Home (a planet pack) does this to compete with the Breaking Ground DLC.
    • Extra advantage: You may crowd it with filler versions of this scatter spawned by Parallax if you want to put some Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider level questing into KSP.
    • Disadvantage: Controlling its population and location will be difficult. It's really not easy to tell if and when you get it to be just rare enough that it can still be found vs "doesn't spawn anymore because of some unknown minimum threshold" and scatters aren't easily bound to a biome. They're bound to chunks of quadrilateral regions. Planet modders know this by the dreaded name "LandControl."
  2. Make anomalies (see: PQSCities and KK statics) and make original experiments that use the Wild Blue Tools plugin in order to only function near a named anomaly.
    • Extra advantage: Unlike scatters you can get creative with materials and have animations and highly detailed geometry and a separate, finely made set of colliders that remain low poly and won't hurt people's PCs. JNSQ KSC palm trees are like this.
    • Disadvantage: You don't get to have this spawn randomly and fill an area in high numbers with minimal effort. Each instance must be manually placed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 8:43 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

There are two ways to approach this but they fall very short in their own ways:

1. Make scatter objects (like stock scatters) and an original experiment to be used around these scatters. Kopernicus includes a module for hiding the experiment toggle associated with a specific scatter until the kerbal or part that holds the experiment is close enough. Beyond Home (a planet pack) does this to compete with the Breaking Ground DLC.
    • Extra advantage: You may crowd it with filler versions of this scatter spawned by Parallax if you want to put some Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider level questing into KSP.
    • Disadvantage: Controlling its population and location will be difficult. It's really not easy to tell if and when you get it to be just rare enough that it can still be found vs "doesn't spawn anymore because of some unknown minimum threshold" and scatters aren't easily bound to a biome. They're bound to chunks of quadrilateral regions. Planet modders know this by the dreaded name "LandControl."
  2. Make anomalies (see: PQSCities and KK statics) and make original experiments that use the Wild Blue Tools plugin in order to only function near a named anomaly.
    • Extra advantage: Unlike scatters you can get creative with materials and have animations and highly detailed geometry and a separate, finely made set of colliders that remain low poly and won't hurt people's PCs. JNSQ KSC palm trees are like this.
    • Disadvantage: You don't get to have this spawn randomly and fill an area in high numbers with minimal effort. Each instance must be manually placed.

Thank you very much! I'll try and see what works best.