CommNext [v0.7.0 for KSP2 v0.2.0]

Is it somehow possible to enable some sattelites to be relays and not other?

I have dedicated comm satalites and others for orbital surveys. The orbital survey ones need dishes to scan but i not fitted with enough power to also be relays but it seems like i can just enable relay function for all sattelites at once.

Do i miss something or do i have to build my survey sattelites differently because they also have to work as relays?

This is a cool mod, although I've uninstalled it for now as there is only one station on kerbin so my relays always go out.

7 hours ago, Ryaja said:

This is a cool mod, although I've uninstalled it for now as there is only one station on kerbin so my relays always go out.

Just make a small constellation around Kerbin (3-4 sats) so that one of them is always in range of the KSC and can the others can link to it

There's even a mission to put a satellite in keostationary orbit, could easily use that for your comm relay and then throw others into different orbits to catch the signal when KSC is occluded.

Have the antenna strengths changed since KSP1?
I swear remember the HG-5 used to have enough range to keep you connected to the DSN all the way out to the Mun KSP1. Then again that might have been because of the multiplicative range thing beause I always tended to slap them on in pairs for symmetry.

17 hours ago, munix said:

Just make a small constellation around Kerbin (3-4 sats) so that one of them is always in range of the KSC and can the others can link to it

The problem is getting them in orbit, as you can't maneuver on the opposite side of kerbin

2 hours ago, Ryaja said:

The problem is getting them in orbit, as you can't maneuver on the opposite side of kerbin

Launch them attached to a manned vessel. Release the first one above KSC so it has connection. The rest can talk through it.

58 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Launch them attached to a manned vessel. Release the first one above KSC so it has connection. The rest can talk through it.

K, I'll try that. I also suck at it but only one way to get better!

Edited by Ryaja

So I did some math and this appears to be where antennas will reach:

• Eeloo furthest
  • ANTENNAS RA-100, 88-88 (100Gm)
  • <nothing>
  • ANTENNA HG-55 (86Gm)
  • Eeloo Closest
  • Jool (All)
  • Dres (All)
  • Duna Furthest
  • Eve Furthest
  • Moho Furthest
  • ANTENNA RA-15 (15Gm)
  • Moho Closest
  • Duna Closest
  • Eve Closest
  • ANTENNAS RA2, DTS-M1, KSC (2Gm)
  • Kerbin's SOI boundary
  • Minmus
  • Mun
  • ANTENNA HG-5 (5Mm)
  • Keostationary
  • ANTENNAS 16, 16-S (500km)
  • LKO
Edited by Superfluous J
Added Kerbin's SOI boundary

5 hours ago, Ryaja said:

I had not yet worked with this mod much when I replied to you. My reply was based mostly on my experience with the old RemoteTech mod from KSP1.

I just launched vessels with this mod and it's much more lenient with commnet connections. It's true you cannot create maneuver nodes, but you can still control the vessels and aim them at prograde and throttle up the engines.

I just got 2 probes into orbit by launching them such that they were out of comms range at Ap, and then at Ap I told them to aim prograde and max throttle to raise their Pe up out of the atmosphere. I did this with no connection to KSC.

10 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

• Eeloo furthest
  • <nothing>
  • ANTENNA HG-55 (86Gm)
  • Eeloo Closest
  • Jool (All)
  • Dres (All)
  • Duna Furthest
  • Eve Furthest
  • Moho Furthest
  • ANTENNA RA-15 (15Gm)
  • Moho Closest
  • Duna Closest
  • Eve Closest
  • Minmus
  • Mun
  • ANTENNA HG-5 (5Mm)
  • Keostationary
  • LKO

Please copy paste -> Description & Details :)

53 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Does this mod use the combined antennas formula? I have a set of relay sats with dual RA-15s, that should be getting a combined range of about 25Gm.

{\displaystyle {\text{Vessel Power}}={\text{Strongest Antenna Power}}\times \left({\tfrac {\text{Sum of Antenna Powers}}{\text{Strongest Antenna Power}}}\right)^{\text{Average Combinability Exponent}}}

Not now, but maybe some day. I personally don't really want it :D

On 2/25/2024 at 6:20 PM, leonardfactory said:

Right now it allows you to have multiple bands, but range multiplication like KSP1 is not present at the moment; it's something I could add in the future anyway

On 3/29/2024 at 2:58 AM, Smurfalot said:

Does this mod use the combined antennas formula? I have a set of relay sats with dual RA-15s, that should be getting a combined range of about 25Gm.

{\displaystyle {\text{Vessel Power}}={\text{Strongest Antenna Power}}\times \left({\tfrac {\text{Sum of Antenna Powers}}{\text{Strongest Antenna Power}}}\right)^{\text{Average Combinability Exponent}}}

Yes like @Superfluous J pointed out, right now it’s not implemented. I thought about it but in the end I feel it’s very complicated to remember and to reason about ( 3/4 of the mod is UI & rendering), so I tried to avoid it. I think it would be nicer to have higher range / different range antennas when needed (with new parts, I mean)

On 3/28/2024 at 6:38 AM, Superfluous J said:

• Eeloo furthest
  • <nothing>
  • ANTENNA HG-55 (86Gm)
  • Eeloo Closest
  • Jool (All)
  • Dres (All)
  • Duna Furthest
  • Eve Furthest
  • Moho Furthest
  • ANTENNA RA-15 (15Gm)
  • Moho Closest
  • Duna Closest
  • Eve Closest
  • Kerbin's SOI boundary
  • Minmus
  • Mun
  • ANTENNA HG-5 (5Mm)
  • Keostationary
  • LKO

Oh this is really nice as a recap! Like @Mr.DingALing suggested I’d probably add it in the topic post

On 3/28/2024 at 4:25 AM, Kalessin1 said:

Btw with next update can someone fix Polish translation. 

On 3/26/2024 at 10:29 PM, Topos said:

When I click on the comm next menu icons, nothing happens. What could be the problem?

Would you mind uploading your log files and share them to me?

• 2 weeks later...