[1.12.x] Planes With Purposes Continued (PWP)

Hello! This is the continuation to my first mod, Planes with Purposes.

Unfortunately, I previously abandoned this mod because I was very busy with school work, but after 4 years, I can finally continue work on it.

The purpose of this mod is to make Aircraft useful.

Big thanks to @inigma for making the mod that inspired this one!

His mod:

Link to GAP

Original PWP forum:

Link to PWP

VdLrP8q.pngThu6Ae1.png

The mod is by no means finished or bug free, so please report any bugs encountered in the comments of this forum page, the Github issues thingy or my discord (tudor69420)

Known bugs:  

There are no bugs because I'm the best :cool:

(Anyone that says otherwise will be given an internship at the experimental rocket testing program)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can download the mod on:

SpaceDock

CurseForge

GitHub

CKAN:  (I don't think I can link to that, but you can find it by searching for PWP or Planes With Purposes) 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________   

Dependencies:

Module Manager

ContractConfigurator

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________   

To do:

Fix bugs

Add rescue contracts 

Add more distance/flight time contracts

Add KSC Airlines (transport passengers)

Changelog:

v1.0

• Mod Released

----------------------------------------------------

v1.1

• Fixed Bugs

v1.2

• Added 1 stunt contract
  • Added 2 flight duration contracts

v1.3

•  MADE SSTO CONTRACTS WORK!!!!!!
  • Also added 2 sunt contracts

v1.4

• Added more SSTO contracts

v1.5

• Added Mach 9 Kontract
  • Fixed bugs

v1.6 - Major Update

• Added Tourism Contracts
  • Fixed some old contracts

v1.6.1

• Changed Contract Rewards (I don't know what I was thinking giving 500 Prestige for a Duna mission)
  • Fixed Contracts
  • Added a new contract
  • Changed contract groups
Edited by Tudor Aerospace
v1.6.1 Released - Minor Update

A bit of a forewarning:

As of now, the mod doesn't seem to be compatable with any mods that replace the stock Kerbolar system, such as Galileo Planets Pack or Real Solar System. To remedy this, for starters, I'd recommend replacing any instances of "Kerbin" with "HomeWorld()" (and also find ways to replace the other planetary bodies, such as the Mun and Duna, in an adaptable way), so that the contract configurator mod can auto-detect where the homeworld is located (along with other nearby challenge-appropriate worlds).

Spoiler

For Real Solar System in particular, I've opted to adjust the challenges accordingly through making my own personal modifications to the mod. For example, I've doubled the target ceiling for all altitude challenges to go with Earth's atmosphere extending twice as high as Kerbin's atmosphere.

However, since getting to orbit in Real Solar System generally requires roughly 3x-4x as much delta-V as with Kerbin, I've also opted to make several challenges easier by, say, permitting the usage of non-air-breathing, non-solid-fueled engines for both altitude and speed challenges, and even permitting the use of solid-fuel boosters for any space flight challenges, so that space shuttles that could take off vertically and land at the runway horizontally could be used instead of any spaceplanes that would've been designed to take off and land at the runway.

On the other hand, I've also opted to make all of the challenges more challenging in other ways, such as generally requiring the spacecraft to land back at the KSC runway safe and sound, even when returning from another world, and even when performing altitude challenges.

Oh, and since designing a functional airplane/spaceplane/space shuttle wasn't as easy as designing a functional rocket, I've opted to include a bunch of tutorial text within these contracts to help players design and fly their own planes. Methinks that should've been part of the whole experience, since wasn't this mod's point to increase plane usage?

If you'd like, I could try uploading my mod changes onto the cloud for others to download and see for themselves (especially if they have Real Solar System installed).

22 hours ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

A bit of a forewarning:

As of now, the mod doesn't seem to be compatable with any mods that replace the stock Kerbolar system, such as Galileo Planets Pack or Real Solar System. To remedy this, for starters, I'd recommend replacing any instances of "Kerbin" with "HomeWorld()" (and also find ways to replace the other planetary bodies, such as the Mun and Duna, in an adaptable way), so that the contract configurator mod can auto-detect where the homeworld is located (along with other nearby challenge-appropriate worlds).

Reveal hidden contents

For Real Solar System in particular, I've opted to adjust the challenges accordingly through making my own personal modifications to the mod. For example, I've doubled the target ceiling for all altitude challenges to go with Earth's atmosphere extending twice as high as Kerbin's atmosphere.

However, since getting to orbit in Real Solar System generally requires roughly 3x-4x as much delta-V as with Kerbin, I've also opted to make several challenges easier by, say, permitting the usage of non-air-breathing, non-solid-fueled engines for both altitude and speed challenges, and even permitting the use of solid-fuel boosters for any space flight challenges, so that space shuttles that could take off vertically and land at the runway horizontally could be used instead of any spaceplanes that would've been designed to take off and land at the runway.

On the other hand, I've also opted to make all of the challenges more challenging in other ways, such as generally requiring the spacecraft to land back at the KSC runway safe and sound, even when returning from another world, and even when performing altitude challenges.

Oh, and since designing a functional airplane/spaceplane/space shuttle wasn't as easy as designing a functional rocket, I've opted to include a bunch of tutorial text within these contracts to help players design and fly their own planes. Methinks that should've been part of the whole experience, since wasn't this mod's point to increase plane usage?

If you'd like, I could try uploading my mod changes onto the cloud for others to download and see for themselves (especially if they have Real Solar System installed).

Hey, I haven't really thought about making it compatible with Planet Packs, but I think It's a great idea. If you want, you can upload the mod changes to the GitHub, and I can take a look at it.

11 hours ago, Tudor Aerospace said:

Hey, I haven't really thought about making it compatible with Planet Packs, but I think It's a great idea. If you want, you can upload the mod changes to the GitHub, and I can take a look at it.

I don't know how to upload to GitHub, so I hope that uploading the mod here instead would be acceptable.

On 4/10/2024 at 2:09 PM, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

I don't know how to upload to GitHub, so I hope that uploading the mod here instead would be acceptable.

For your future reference: (If you do it browser only) Log in, go to the mod github page, press the Fork button, then you should have your own copy of his mod on Github,

upload files, there should be a big banner with a button telling you you can make a pull request, press it

Edited by ssd21345

I'm currently playing KSRSS, so I can't try your mod right now. Sounds interesting though, so I've flagged it in my CKAN install as "interesting".  (I've developed a strong habit of ignoring the "planes/aeronautics" branches of whichever tech tree I'm playing until I've researched everything else, so this mod might finally break that habit!) 

I look forward to future developments...  =:o}

On 4/10/2024 at 9:09 AM, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

That's great, thanks! I'll take a look tomorrow

On 4/11/2024 at 9:36 PM, pbristow said:

I'm currently playing KSRSS, so I can't try your mod right now. Sounds interesting though, so I've flagged it in my CKAN install as "interesting".  (I've developed a strong habit of ignoring the "planes/aeronautics" branches of whichever tech tree I'm playing until I've researched everything else, so this mod might finally break that habit!) 

I look forward to future developments...  =:o}

I hope you'll have fun with it when you try it! :)) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2024 at 2:27 AM, theonegalen said:

Glad to see this is being updated again! Thanks for removing the dependency on KAX and Airplane Plus - I'm trying a new, streamlined loadorder now that I'm finally playing KSP again.

Thanks for playing! I hope you'll like the new tourism contracts :cool:

Sweet, new update!

One point I'd like to see is letting the early "go to space" and "space shuttle" contracts to also qualify if you've splashed down. Spaceplane should land properly of course, but for the first 2 space missions landing might be too much.

Edited by RunaDacino

14 hours ago, RunaDacino said:

Sweet, new update!

One point I'd like to see is letting the early "go to space" and "space shuttle" contracts to also qualify if you've splashed down. Spaceplane should land properly of course, but for the first 2 space missions landing might be too much.

IMO, being able to land ANYWHERE on the homeworld safely instead of back at the KSC would've gone against the spirit of this mod's focus on reusable spaceplanes by making these missions little different from the stock game missions, where a traditional rocket design would've likewise sufficed, with a command pod that would've been designed to be jettisoned and land back into the water or on the surface without any form of guidance.

It was for these reasons why I opted to modify those missions, plus the interplanetary missions, with objectives to land the command vehicle back at the KSC safe and sound, either as a spaceplane or as a SpaceX-styled tailsitting lander.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:27 AM, RunaDacino said:

Sweet, new update!

Well, for the space shuttle contract especially, you're supposed to do something similar to the real life Space Shuttle,  and it would be kind of weird if it landed in a field somewhere 

Am having trouble on the mission "fly at 2500m for 200secs at mach 1". I can tick off the main part (flying  at 2500m mach 1, 200secs) but then when I alter course for home to land, to fill the second part, it unticks.

If I go over 2500m, speed up and time again etc to get the tick back, again when I change course it goes. Am I missing something? Will provide any information needed if I have to. Am not a tech-spert but would like to try and help get this sorted :)

12 hours ago, Ashey-P said:

Am having trouble on the mission "fly at 2500m for 200secs at mach 1". I can tick off the main part (flying  at 2500m mach 1, 200secs) but then when I alter course for home to land, to fill the second part, it unticks.

If I go over 2500m, speed up and time again etc to get the tick back, again when I change course it goes. Am I missing something? Will provide any information needed if I have to. Am not a tech-spert but would like to try and help get this sorted :)

Hey, thanks for pointing that out! I'll fix it in the next update, which should come out later today or tomorrow

2 new suggestions:

There's suborbital and orbital tourism giving a nice progression.

There should also be a Mun/Minmus flyby/orbit tourism separate from actually landing. Landing an SSTO is a significant challenge spike - especially on the Mun - and offering flyby contracts as a stepping stone would make progression easier.

40 minutes ago, RunaDacino said:

2 new suggestions:

There's suborbital and orbital tourism giving a nice progression.

There should also be a Mun/Minmus flyby/orbit tourism separate from actually landing. Landing an SSTO is a significant challenge spike - especially on the Mun - and offering flyby contracts as a stepping stone would make progression easier.

That's a good idea! I'll add them in the next update :D