Playing my Windows version of KSP on a Linux installation?

Hi Folks.  I've just about had it with MS and won't be installing Win11 thanks.

I'm thinking of installing Linux Mint since it worked well with my system running off a USB stick, but am wondering if post full install I'd still be able to play my version of KSP (through a Win emulator in Linux presumably)? or will I have to pay for a new Linux version of KSP?

I'm trying to troubleshoot ahead.  Thx.

5 hours ago, HippyChippy said:

play my version of KSP (through a Win emulator in Linux presumably)? or will I have to pay for a new Linux version of KSP?

Neither.  When you buy KSP you get access to the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions.  Just install the Linux version and copy your save folder over to the new install.

SOLVED

Thanks HebaruSan I was wondering about Steam which is a new thing to me, and thanks to Geonovast for what sounds like the most straightforward solution.  Haha and thanks also to Squad for making it that easy... I hope!

6 minutes ago, HippyChippy said:

wondering about Steam

I've always been a fan of Valve, but even moreso the last couple years.  They've dumped so much dev time into proton (mostly likely for the steamdeck) that I don't even bother to check compatibility before I buy games anymore.  I don't remember the last time I even had to mess with launch commands to get one to work.  Been a Mint user for 7 years now.

The only reason I'm running the Windows version under proton instead of the Linux one is because I have a single mod that doesn't work with OpenGL.

By default Steam will install the Linux version.  If for whatever reason you need the Windows version, you just right click on the game in your library, go to Properties, then Compatibility, and check the "Force the use..." box.  Then pick a proton version.  If you don't have a reason to do a specific version, just grab the highest number (most recent)

steamprotoncompat.png

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 7:20 PM, HippyChippy said:

SOLVED

Thanks HebaruSan I was wondering about Steam which is a new thing to me, and thanks to Geonovast for what sounds like the most straightforward solution.  Haha and thanks also to Squad for making it that easy... I hope!

If you use steam I recommend https://github.com/DavidoTek/ProtonUp-Qt/releases to install https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom in Steam. This proton version has more optimizations for playing windows games. That installer can also install into Lutris or Heroic Launcher.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:26 PM, Geonovast said:

The only reason I'm running the Windows version under proton instead of the Linux one is because I have a single mod that doesn't work with OpenGL.

Even the proton emulation layer has vastly superior performance compared to opengl these days. Back in the 1.0-ish time the native opengl version was good on linux, but now I play on windows again.

Edited by hendrack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.