[1.12.5] G-Effects-Reaffected: blackouts, redouts, G-LOCs [v2.0.1 hotfix]

AMPW

Posted (edited)

This is a continuation of Sers awsome G-Effects mod.

Originally started by russnash37 and then continued by Ser until KSP 1.3.

Check out Sers post for more information and a video showing the effects.

Supported KSP version: 1.12.5
Should be compatible with KSP >= 1.8

License: GNU GPLv3 (included)
Source code: github
Dependencies: None
This mod might be incompatible with other mods that change how Kerbals are affected by g-forces because it replaces the default system with a custom one.

Download from Spacedock

Now CKAN-Indexed-green.svg

Stock integration:

Stock g-meters and notifications correspond to the mod's state. If you don't need them you may disable "Kerbal G limits" in the game's settings, the main mod's behaviour won't be affected.
Kerbal experience and other stock g stats are still ignored.

Ser tried to make focus on realism as much as he was able to research the subject so the default settings assume that all kerbals including tourists are trained astronauts wearing G-suits. Pilots are more trained than others, of course.

The following G-effects are simulated:

• Blackouts/redouts
  • Loss of color vision a.k.a greyout
  • Tunnel vision as G rises
  • Kerbals grunt while they perform AGSM (anti-G straining maneuver) and take a heavy breath after
  • Blood beating in kerbal's ears on redout (wear headphones with good bass and you'll feel it)
  • G-LOC (G-induced loss of consciousness)
  • Kerbal deaths of a sustained over-G

G forces have different severity in four directions: upward, downward, backward, forward, so you may find that a kerbal launched in a rocket stands more G than a kerbal piloting a plane upside down on a circular trajectory. Kerbal's specialization also affects how much he can stand.

IMPORTANT

v2.0.0 and the previous version had a few issues that I haven't spotted. Sorry for that and thanks to PicoSpace for pointing out some of them.
KeepFit is no longer supported.

Installation:

Place contents of the GameData folder of the zip into your KSP/GameData folder

Configuration: Configuration of the mod is done via G-Effects.cfg file. Look through it to have an exhaustive description of its parameters.
I have added almost all of the settings into two ingame setting tabs, the settings have either a tooltip when hovering over the slider or are simple enough to don't need one.
Please be aware that the formatting of the config file will be worse after saving the configuration ingame but all descriptions are retained.

Known issues and limitations:

• Be careful with various tweaks that may lead to some sudden acceleration rise or collision lags, for example ejection or undocking force tweaks, as they may cause crew to lose consciousness or even die of excessive g forces.
  • G-forces caused by a ship's rotation don't affect because they are not likely to be severe enough to induce any significant effects.
  • Effects are calculated for the active vessel's crew only. You can switch to another vessel and back and have effects applied as if they have just started.
  • The overlay can sometimes partially stay and won't fade away.
  • Sometimes the overlay won't get removed, not even while paused.
  • Negative g-effects (redout) can be countered by positive over g and vice versa.

To be implemented:

• option to choose between stock and this mods g effects calculation
Edited by AMPW
hotfix

• 1 month later...

I'm curious how all those stats play into in-game reality... Kerbals (mind you I'm in Sandbox mode currently so they are starting off as 5-Star) can take quite a few G's, this takes quite a bit of "ummf" to get them to black out.
vOg85jt.png

So my query is if this Kerbal has 8.3G (1.52x G-Force Endurance) how many G's does he need to pull before G-Effects start to become apparent?
How many G-Forces are required (or amount of time over endurance limit or G-LOC) before Poor Jongan passes to their next adventure?

Also, I noticed you have profession adjustments, you should have an "other" for professions that are not stock (thinking MKS and other mods which add more professions), or have it tied to Skills Kerbals have as a modifier matrix.

Edited by PicoSpace

12 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

I'm curious how all those stats play into in-game reality... Kerbals (mind you I'm in Sandbox mode currently so they are starting off as 5-Star) can take quite a few G's, this takes quite a bit of "ummf" to get them to black out.

So my query is if this Kerbal has 8.3G (1.52x G-Force Endurance) how many G's does he need to pull before G-Effects start to become apparent?
How many G-Forces are required (or amount of time over endurance limit or G-LOC) before Poor Jongan passes to their next adventure?

By default the calculations for the g tolerance are custom ones from this mod so the values from the individual kerbals are ignored. All kerbals are trained equally, the only difference is the gender and profession.
Depending on the direction it's -2 or +4 g before g effects can appear but it takes way too much time for this to happen.
The relevant config parts and the calculations are the orginal ones from ser but there's something wrong, thanks for the report, will need to look into that later.

12 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

Also, I noticed you have profession adjustments, you should have an "other" for professions that are not stock (thinking MKS and other mods which add more professions), or have it tied to Skills Kerbals have as a modifier matrix.

The profession adjustments are all defined in the config file, it's possible to add custom ones there but I'll add a modifier for others that aren't definied.
I don't play with mks or other mods with more professions but maybe I'll have a look at them.
I don't want to add other professions to the ingame menu because there's already too much there and not everyone has extra ones.

1 hour ago, AMPW said:

By default the calculations for the g tolerance are custom ones from this mod so the values from the individual kerbals are ignored. All kerbals are trained equally, the only difference is the gender and profession.
Depending on the direction it's -2 or +4 g before g effects can appear but it takes way too much time for this to happen.
The relevant config parts and the calculations are the orginal ones from ser but there's something wrong, thanks for the report, will need to look into that later.

The profession adjustments are all defined in the config file, it's possible to add custom ones there but I'll add a modifier for others that aren't definied.
I don't play with mks or other mods with more professions but maybe I'll have a look at them.
I don't want to add other professions to the ingame menu because there's already too much there and not everyone has extra ones.

Yeah, I've been trying to black out kerbals and in the last version it took quite an effort to accomplish it. It would be nice if it laced into stock G-force in some way, problems can occur when 2 systems are running in parrallel attempting to do the same thing.

Just an "other" catch-all I think is required, so no Kerbal is left behind (or default to 1.0x multipler), if people want to patch additional professions in teh cfg files, thats up to them.

Going staight up with a Booster I'm just starting to get Red-Out as the booster kicks off (G-Force Indicator was at the max 15G)... coming back down the heat sheild burns up and explodes before I got any G-Effects...
pbY7SpT.jpeg

Edited by PicoSpace

5 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

Yeah, I've been trying to black out kerbals and in the last version it took quite an effort to accomplish it. It would be nice if it laced into stock G-force in some way, problems can occur when 2 systems are running in parrallel attempting to do the same thing.

I think if the g limits from this mod are disabled then the stock ones are used.
There shouldn't be any interference between the two systems, the custom one is just overwriting the stock values each frame but all of the g effects part is done internally.

6 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

Just an "other" catch-all I think is required, so no Kerbal is left behind (or default to 1.0x multipler), if people want to patch additional professions in teh cfg files, thats up to them.

It already has 1x multiplier as fallback when the profession isn't found in the cfg file but I'll add a other setting.

6 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

Going staight up with a Booster I'm just starting to get Red-Out as the booster kicks off (G-Force Indicator was at the max 15G)... coming back down the heat sheild burns up and explodes before I got any G-Effects...

I found a temporary solution to fix this, will be released soon in a hotfix.

I also found that the ingame settings are broken which should be fixed asap so I'll have to look into that first.

Some feedback I'm getting is the "wake-up" is too sudden, also maybe have something during the black-out (I'm thinking a sound or something) so its not totally "nothing".
Maybe the reverse effect (black out, red in?) or add some camera shake?

Edited by PicoSpace

I've had some issues with the audio when I installed this mod, for some reason whenever I have it installed in-flight the audio quality drops noticeably, while going back up to normal quality when in map view, tracking or just at the ksc. It seemingly only occurs when this is installed, I must add that I do have RSE, which could be conflicting in some type of way as it is a sound mod, but i'm not sure myself.

12 hours ago, uncertified_engineer said:

I've had some issues with the audio when I installed this mod, for some reason whenever I have it installed in-flight the audio quality drops noticeably, while going back up to normal quality when in map view, tracking or just at the ksc. It seemingly only occurs when this is installed, I must add that I do have RSE, which could be conflicting in some type of way as it is a sound mod, but i'm not sure myself.

I'll have a look at that, thanks for the report.

On 8/3/2024 at 2:19 AM, PicoSpace said:

Some feedback I'm getting is the "wake-up" is too sudden, also maybe have something during the black-out (I'm thinking a sound or something) so its not totally "nothing".
Maybe the reverse effect (black out, red in?) or add some camera shake?

I also noticed that the wake up is too sudden and I wanted to get the hot fix out so it's working at all but I'll change that.

I haven't thought about something during the black out but I can agree that it would be better than just darkness. If you pause the game then the g effects aren't added, this is because of some limitations of my current solution. I sometimes use this to orientat me during the blackout.

The reverse effect seems pretty unrealistic to me and I want to keep it somewhat accurate (disclaimer: I don't really know anything about g effects) but maybe I'll implement it as an option.

Thanks a lot.

On 8/3/2024 at 9:48 PM, uncertified_engineer said:

Hi, so I have tested it with stock and rse and I wasn't able to notice anything but this doesn't really mean anything. It's possible that I'm just not able to notice the difference.

Just for clarification, does it happens always during the flight or only when sound from this mod is played?
In any case, I don't really know what to do about it. Because it is still the original code for the sound I'll look if there's a new/different way to play sound in ksp which might be not affected by this issue.

On 8/5/2024 at 7:05 AM, AMPW said:

Hi, so I have tested it with stock and rse and I wasn't able to notice anything but this doesn't really mean anything. It's possible that I'm just not able to notice the difference.

Just for clarification, does it happens always during the flight or only when sound from this mod is played?
In any case, I don't really know what to do about it. Because it is still the original code for the sound I'll look if there's a new/different way to play sound in ksp which might be not affected by this issue.

It usually happens during flight in normal view, it subsides in internal or map view, I'd explain it as like hearing the sound from a lower quality video, sounding somewhat muffled and less clear, hearable and audible, no crackling or anything it's just "lower quality" just a little less clear that it's well notable.

Both this mod and RSE have muffling effects, moreover RSE muffles audio in internal and slowly muffles it to no sound in a vaccum. I'm not really educated enough on modding here to make a sound judgement but those were just some things I'd point out. 

The issue does go away when I uninstall the g-effects mod, with audio returning to it's normal clarity. (but I also might add an unrelated thing that when uninstalling it the consciousness bar is still there and g-ratings but the effects themselves aren't). Again i'm not really well versed in ksp modding so i'm unsure if it's a conflict or an isolated issue. 

Edited by uncertified_engineer

Works a lot better now, although I still think the G-Effects controls need to be simplified and tied into stock so its easier to understand at what g-force a kerbal will black/red out, and at what G-force they will die (or sustained g-force for X seconds or cumlative Second of Gees over their threshold = death).

gUaR3Dw.png

PS. The Shuttle (using MechJeb2) made it to space! The crew... not so much.

Edited by PicoSpace

On 8/10/2024 at 6:41 PM, PicoSpace said:

Works a lot better now, although I still think the G-Effects controls need to be simplified and tied into stock so its easier to understand at what g-force a kerbal will black/red out, and at what G-force they will die (or sustained g-force for X seconds or cumlative Second of Gees over their threshold = death).

The blackout/redout start is different and it also depends on the trait. While I agree that it would be good to have it as the stock values I don't know any way to change the g stats of kerbals and it would only apply for one direction.

The default for g death is 20 times the cumulative g of complete loss of vision (g Loc is at 1.1), which is probaply too much, and it makes it dynamic so it's not possible to give a value for that.
The menu also has descriptions for the different parameters, blackout can occure at 1 + deltaGtolerance and redout can occure at 1 - deltaGtolerance. I think it's a bit off for traits which don't have 1x multiplier.

Simpler controls would be possible but this mod aims for more realistic g effects so it needs quiet a few settings (I only view it from the mod maker perspective so it doesn't seem that complicated).