Audiobook recommendations?

DDE

TL;DR: I need something to keep me awake for about 18 hours straight while driving shotgun, without occupying my eyes, and without relying on a cell signal. Ideally, I'd be looking at a downloadable audiobook, or ripping something from Youtube.

Thing is, I'm fresh out of ideas of what to actually listen to, so I'm asking you guys (and Rule 16 violators).

Edited by DDE

We listen to a lot of audio books during road trips. We discovered Bill Bryson a couple of years ago, his stuff works well in audio format. One Summer: America, 1927 was particularly fascinating, but At Home: A Short History of Private Life, and The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid were really good too. I would not recommend his books on language. They may be fascinating, but they don't really work as audio books.

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone for contributing.

I've contented myself with ripping the first book of The Expanse from one of the many Youtube posts that keep cropping up. By that moment, I'd run out of OneDrive space and decided to stop for now.

For the future, I've taken note that the hive of scum and villainy that is VK contains (or used to, pre-war) a significant underbelly on English-language audiobook channels. There's no satisfactory download solution unless you shell out for a paid subscription, but I've already been using it as a music player. A shame I'm going to spend the next couple of months never starting Steam with an active internet connection in case Valve misreads General License 25D and does something stupid with my games, but, oh well, such are the times.

Edited by DDE