[1.12.x] [Planet Pack] Outer Planets Expansion (OPX)

Posted (edited)

Outer Planets Expansion Pack

Suggestion Box

Spacedock Pack (OPX and associated mods)

About

Long ago, one of my first planet mods I ever played with was the famous Outer Planets Mod. For a while, I had great fun exploring the various moons, but soon I realized that something was lacking. The moon systems of all the gas giants felt almost... empty. Thus, I set to work to rectify this problem. Now, years later, I actually know how to planet mod, and I am proud to announce the Outer Planets Expansion project! 

This project will take the form of nine mods which will each modify a different segment of the expanded Kerbol System. Each mod can function independently, but it is recommended to have them all because let's be real none of the OPM gas giants realistically start with enough moons for a gas giant system. Unlike the others, OPX-NeidonPlus was brought into the project by a collaboration between me and @Interplanet Janet after several updates on its own, with several additions by me and a restructure of the filepaths.

Dependencies

Like all planet mods, each OPX mod will require Kopernicus to function. @Pkmniako's MitchellNetravaliHeightMap plugin will be bundled with each installment as they release. Don't forget it, or everything will break. 

OPX-StockSystemModificationsGithub, Spacedock

OPX-StockSystemModifications (SSM for short) is a collection of quality of life modifications for the inner solar system. It exists because I was annoyed by minor problems with the inner system, fixed those problems, and compiled all of them into a mod for everyone. Now with two different new Kerbol options!

Features:

Spoiler
  • Two different remasters for Kerbol: Main Sequence and Subgiant
    • Main Sequence is the recommended one, shrinking it to a kerbal scale Sun analog with a new texture and corona and the right color.
    • Subgiant is a more novelty-based one, giving Stock-scale Kerbol the temperature needed to give it the luminosity it has. Comes with a DIFFERENT new texture.
    • Both MainSeq, Subgiant, and Stock (makes no physical changes) add a latitudinal biome map and change the displayName to Kerbol as you should want
  • Eve's inclination is reduced (the high inclination didn't actually challenge anyone, it just was really annoying)
  • Kerbin's eccentricity is increased (why is it perfectly circular what)
  • Minmus can be placed in three different places: Hilda (sciencevalue increase), Kerbin Trojan, and Stock
  • Mun can be moved outwards to roughly Minmus' stock position to preserve eclipses with the recommended Main Sequence Kerbol setting
    • If Minmus is placed in the Stock position this cannot happen due to SOI overlap
  • Minmus is shrunken to 40 km because 60 km is really big for whats clearly coded as a minor object (optional in settings, but recommended)

Dependencies:

• Kopernicus (obviously)

Compatible and recommended mods:

• No specific compatibility was made. If you like BetterKerbol's sun, just set SSM's sun setting to "Stock" and it'll won't mess with it beyond adding a displayName and a biome map.
  • The Minor Planets Expansion is a good mod if you want more stuff to explore in the inner solar system, alongside the obvious OPX-InnerWorlds.

Changelog:

Spoiler

MOST RECENT VERSION: v0.2.2 alpha

• v0.1.0 alpha
    • Initial public release
  • v0.2.0 alpha
    • Settings redone from the ground up
      • Minmus move can actually be deactivated now
      • MinmusRelocation and MinmusPosition functionality merged
    • New option for Kerbol: Subgiant
      • Kerbol at stock size should be much cooler than it is to have that luminosity, so now it is if you want
      • New sunspot texture for Subgiant kerbol
    • Stock kerbol setting (neither realism patch is activated) now still comes with the latitudinal biomes and displayName
  • v0.2.1 alpha
    • Hotfix for Minmus setting options
    • some extra eccentricity for stock-position Minmus and relocated Mun
  • v0.2.2 alpha
    • Descriptions for Minmus in each of its alternate positions
    • Icons for Gilly and Minmus

TO DO:

• BetterKerbol compatibility
  • Gonna see if I can add solar flares somehow (I can't until NiftyNebulae adds more functionality)

OPX-InnerWorldsGithub, Spacedock

OPX-InnerWorlds aims to fill out the oft-neglected asteroid belt of the Kerbolar System. It adds a number of asteroids throughout the inner system and as far out as Jool (a centaur got in on a technicality). This mod also supersedes the oft-mentioned Janet's Minor Planets, with Doppler, Dyva, and Quazen included among its objects. ZVdxl9f.png

Features (if you want to discover them yourself, dont open this):

Spoiler
  • A full revamp of Dres
  • 2 Quazen, an analog for Pallas
  • Krov, Quazen's moon
  • 9 Selbig, Hygeia analog
  • 19 Hafnia, combination Lutetia and Mathilde
  • 212 Loushine and it's miniscule moon Everhart, analogs for Ida and Dactyl
  • 958 Vedra, combination Hidalgo and Gaspra
  • 3190 Phaekav, ꞌAylóꞌchaxnim analog
  • 3820 Kret, a quasisatellite of Kerbin
  • 99942 Doppler, a muffin top asteroid, and its moon Dyva (retroactively an analog for Dinkinesh and its moon despite being made before the flyby)
  • 100924 Neb, an asteroid between Kerbin and Duna standing in for Bennu or Ryugu
  • and more to come!

Dependencies:

• Kopernicus 
  • Niako's Utilities: Mitchell Netravali Height Map (bundled)

Compatible and Recommended Mods:

• Minor Planets Expansion by @Exo's Lab – 3 Vant and 433 Edas help fill out the inner system alongside OPX-InnerWorlds.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

A couple angles of Quazen and Krov

tS5yWPC.png

hXmBIZE.png

Asteroid 212 Loushine, with its highly bilobate appearanceWuRfPoB.png

Asteroid 19 Hafnia, with the impressive Tomlinson Crater in clear viewyrtklPi.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

MOST RECENT VERSION: v0.2.2 alpha

• v0.1.0
    • Initial public release
  • v0.2.0
    • 9 Selbig deformities rebalanced to make it a better Hygeia analog
      • Extraneous MitchellNetravali node removed to allow it to actually function
    • 45 Kortens added
    • (45) 1 Anton added
    • (45) 2 Lui added
  • v0.2.1
    • Kortens, Lui, and Anton files rebuilt, missing brackets fixed
  • v0.2.2
    • Kortens hotfix, Parallax no longer required (THATS what the problem was, no clue how that got past quality control)

TO DO:

• literally just more asteroids, let me know which ones you want

OPX-JoolPlusGithub, Spacedock

OPX-JoolPlus is the first installment of the project to be released. It comes with full biome support for each object that it adds. Below is a map of the Jool System with this mod installed. All objects are either stock or added by this mod (except Aditel, from JoolRetexture)ofpGdjq.png

Spoiler
  • Brand new set of Saturnian-style textures for Jool, including a thin ring system.
  • Meto, an analog for the inner Jovian moon of Metis. Full biome support.
  • Alnes, an analog for the inner Jovian moon of Amalthea. Full biome support.
  • Laythe, Vall, and Tylo shrunk and moved outwards for stability and realism purposes (Laythe was always a bit too close for comfort, honestly)
  • Klip, an analog for Callisto, with nineteen biomes and a rugged surface perfect for challenging landings and rover expeditions, balanced with a forgiving gravitational pull low enough for easy correction and high enough to stop rovers from going everywhere.
  • Bop is now a trojan companion of Klip, saving it from the unending limbo of only being visited if someone needs to say they visited every moon of Jool. Also, smaller because 60 kilometers is insane for an asteroid.
  • Pol orbits much more distantly, corresponding to the Jovian outer moon of Themisto. Jool looks tiny from this distance, and the inclination gives a birds-eye view of the entire system. 
  • Euribanne/Eurbon and Palloocus/Palloomus, analogs for Hektor and Patroclus. They're Jool trojans, formerly part of Janet's Minor Planets.

Dependencies:

• Kopernicus 

• Distant Object Enhancement – OPX-JoolPlus comes with a config coloring the distant points of all three new objects within DOE. It looks great, try it out!
  • JoolRetexture – @Clonos' little mod that adds a new moon and makes a new texture for Jool. You can now install this mod alongside my own, with a settings file in my mod folder that allows you to switch between my Jool and his. 
  • Kcalbeloh System Planet Pack – This mod adds a wormhole in Jool orbit. To ensure compatibility I include a patch to reparent it to the new Jool object.
  • I have more compatibility patches planned, but they'll be significantly more complicated.

INcompatible Mods:

• Techo's Planet Revamp – Because of the frankly bizarre and unnecessary way that it deletes every single object in the system and remakes them, the combination of that and OPX's modifications to the stock moons' positions results in none of the stock moons existing at all when JoolPlus and TPR are both installed. This is obviously untenable, so you'll unfortunately have to pick one.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Jool from above, with its thin ring system visible

MVKPZ3k.png

Jool, backlit

FCeB1M5.png

Meto, innermost moon of Jool. Barely held together by its own tensile strength, visit this world while you can!

oM5PjhE.png

Alnes, deeply red and elongated. Much less precariously positioned than Meto, although no less difficult to reach.

X2hR76K.png

The rugged surface of Klip. Have fun!

C9vyCYd.png

Pol, left unchanged beyond its enormous distance. It provides a beautiful birds-eye view of the other moons of its distant parent.

OdfZzjY.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

MOST RECENT VERSION: v0.5.1 beta

• v0.4.0
    • initial public release
  • v0.4.1
    • added user-editable settings file allowing alternate Bop orbit and changes in how compatibility with JoolRetexture is handled
  • v0.4.2
    • new settings option to retain the stock masses and radii for Laythe, Vall, Tylo, and Bop (requested by @Ultimate Steve)
    • fix to the BopTrojan=False setting ensuring it orbits in the correct position and not on top of Tylo
    • compatibility patch for Kcalbeloh, ensuring the wormhole doesn't nullref and break the game
  • v0.4.3
    • Hotfix for Klip and Alnes surfaces
    • BopTrojan setting should function properly now
  • v0.5.0
    • Euribanne added
    • Eurbon added
    • Palloocus added
    • Palloomus added
    • I1-Rator added
    • P1-Jimel added
    • P2-Colwin added
    • P3-Diem added
    • P4-Vlad added
  • v0.5.1
    • Hotfix for P3-Diem's orbit
    • Missing orbit icons for Meto, Alnes, Bop, Pol, I1-Rator, and P3-Diem

TO DO:

• EVE and Scatterer configs for BetterJool and Laythe
  • The pseudobody collection (incomplete)

OPX-SarnusPlusGithubSpacedock

OPX-SarnusPlus, the third insallment of the Outer Planets Expansion, adds six new moons to Sarnus and gives it a new texture and physical characteristics. Each new object comes with full biome support, and orbit modifications are made for most of the existing moons.

TiHZ5hw.pngqTBFvkH.png

Spoiler
  • Brand new Jovian-style texture for Sarnus
  • Vizak, an analog for Pan and other such ring shepherd moons. Full biome support
  • Ryla, a different ring shepherd moon orbiting where Ovok used to be. Full biome support
  • Masmar, an analog for the inner major moon of Mimas. Full biome support
  • Ovok and Eeloo shrunk and moved outwards
    • Ovok now orbits where a Methone analog SHOULD go
    • Eeloo was unfit to be an Enceladus analog given that you can see its silicate crust in places, so now its the Tethys/Dione/Rhea analog
  • Encethys, a REAL enceladus analog. Full biome support
  • Hypo, an analog for Hyperion orbiting beyond Tekto in a similarly inclined orbit. Full biome support
  • Phabus, an extremely distant outer moon and analog for Phoebe, orbiting retrograde far beyond Tekto and Hypo. Full biome support
  • Complete redo for Ovok
  • Egin and Palar, two miniscule objects that you can visit if you want

Dependencies:

• Kopernicus 
  • Outer Planets Mod (the original)

• Kopernicus Expansion – adds footprints when you EVA. Play with it. Or don't, I'm not a cop.
  • ResearchBodies – self-explanatory. I dont personally play with it but if you want to the compatibility is there.
  • TarsierSpaceTech – the mod comes with sciencedefs for when you look at the new bodies through a telescope, if you play with that sort of thing

No specific compatibility exists at present. Planned compatibility includes:

• ReSarnus
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • Planetshine
  • EVE and Scatterer
  • Parallax (in the distant future)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Vizak, the innermost moon

9l4gaMT.png

Ryla, the lentil boi

Ion2Vwv.png

Masmar, in front of Sarnus

8BxD2DJ.png

Encethys, the new Enceladus analog

y2op0Yg.png

Hypo, the space pumice

LRrqia2.png

Phabus, the most absurdly distant moon

bBnzCTa.png

Phabus' rugged surface

am6vqDd.png

Sarnus rising above the surface of Slate (which is unmodified for now)

ekJ0ZRL.png

Seri, a miniscule rock orbiting at Slate's lagrange point

NHoJkkQ.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

MOST RECENT VERSION: 0.3.0 alpha

• Initial public release
    • compatibility with KopEx Footprints, DMagic Orbital Science, ResearchBodies, and TarsierSpaceTech
    • fixes for Vizak, Ryla, and Phabus' PQSSpace appearance
    • Hotfix for 0.2.1, which did nothing it promised to do
    • Rescale Sarnus to 6991 km, 2.384 g
    • Modify orbits of all moons except Phabus
    • PQS fix for Ryla
    • Atmorim fix for Sarnus
    • revamped Ovok
    • Egin and Palar, two small ovoid objects with no contract weight that serve partly as set dressing to fill out the Saturn moon analogs
      • The presence of these objects is tied to a new setting, UseInnerPseudobodies
    • Fix for Ryla and Hypo's PQS

TO DO:

• New ring texture so I can make Vizak and Hale more than 50 kilometers apart and still in a gap
  • Revamps for Hale, Slate, and Tekto
  • Possible removal of OPM as a depedency in the distant future
  • The pseudobody collection

OPX-UrlumPlusGithub, Spacedock

OPX-UrlumPlus adds two new moons to Urlum, rebalances the orbits of the existing OPM moon system, redoes the appearance of Urlum and its rings from scratch (rings by @TheOrios), and makes sure that the system actually rotates clockwise like the description says it does. This mod is much farther from completion than JoolPlus or NeidonPlus, and future updates will add things like new asteroid moons, a trojan companion for Urlum, biomes for Dathil, and more.n9Pnlx2.png

Spoiler
  • Brand new, high-quality texture for Urlum, alongside a more realistic set of physical characteristics
  • New, much larger and improved ring system created by @TheOrios
  • Retrograde orbits and rotations for Urlum and its moon system
  • Dathil, an amalgamation of the inner three Uranian major moons since somehow none of the base OPM Urlum moons are analogs for anything
  • Lyxis, an analog for Oberon and Sycorax (Oberon's features in Sycorax's orbit since we know nothing about Sycorax)
  • Hock, a misplaced analog for Pan since none of the uranian inner moons besides Puck are interesting and the rings are a lot bigger
  • Picna, an analog for the inner moon Puck, a round boi
  • Biscotti,  a small asteorid whose ejected dust from micrometoroid impacts sustains Urlum's outer ring
  • Pab and Pymm, an analog for the centaur/comet 2060 Chiron orbiting the sun just within Urlum's orbit

Dependencies:

• Outer Planets Mod
  • Kopernicus (obviously)
  • Niako's Utilities (bundled)

• Kopernicus Expansion – adds footprints when you EVA. Play with it. Or don't, I'm not a cop.
  • ResearchBodies – self-explanatory. I dont personally play with it but if you want to the compatibility is there.
  • TarsierSpaceTech – the mod comes with sciencedefs for when you look at the new bodies through a telescope, if you play with that sort of thing

No specific compatibility exists at present. Planned compatibility includes:

• Distant Object Enhancement
  • Planetshine
  • EVE and Scatterer
  • Parallax (in the distant future)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Urlum itself, with its impressive, if understated, ring system

9YSVvVD.png

Urlum rising above the surface of Dathil

wzITA0M.png

In space above Dathil's treacherous canyons (Ariel's corresponding real life formations are called Graben)

R2pk9Wc.png

On the ground in the Graben

57hVx4C.png

Dathil's Kunda Crater, a large albedo feature based upon the similar feature on Umbriel

XI0anLj.png

Lyxis, centered upon the great Fachas crater and its ejecta rays

UW3a20O.png

Lyxis' surface

gXdACZo.png

Biscotti and the outer ring, backlit

wCOkcfg.png

Picna and Urlum

5ULvWdC.png

Hock, innermost moon

m2WBcsX.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

MOST RECENT VERSION: 0.3.0 alpha

• Initial public release
    • compatibility with KopEx Footprints, DMagic Orbital Science, ResearchBodies, and TarsierSpaceTech
    • fixes for Dathil, Lyxis, and Pymm's PQSSpace appearance
    • Hotfix for 0.2.1, which did nothing it promised to do
    • Hotfix for 0.2.2, fixing Pab's weird dependency issue
    • Dathil has biomes now
    • fix for scaledspace fades
  • 0.3.0 "Aster"
    • Biscotti added
    • Picna added
    • Hock added
    • Pymm biomes added
    • Modification to Dathil's terrain

TO DO:

• Halas, an analog for 2011 QF99. Might find some cool stuff here.
  • Remasters of Polta, Priax, Wal, and Tal in the future
  • Removal of OPM as a strict dependency

OPX-NeidonPlusGithub, Spacedock

OPX-NeidonPlus is the second installment to be released. Originally created by @Interplanet Janet as a separate mod, I created two and a half new objects and full biome maps for all the existing ones for its integration into the OPX project.vfXhUoH.png

Spoiler
  • Brilliant handpainted texture and ring system for Neidon (Janet)
  • Nito and Tito, twin ring moons (Janet)
  • Gryspar, an analog for the moon Larissa (some textures by Janet, rest by me)
  • Hargaladh, an analog for the small moon Hippocamp (Janet)
  • Chymere, an oversized analog for Proteus (ironically more like Mimas than SarnusPlus' Mimas analog) (Janet)
  • Thatmo has been completely redone from scratch with a brand new texture combining several features of the real Triton and other outer system bodies (Janet)
  • Nissee has also been redone from scratch, although it does hew closer to the original. Unlike the original however, the color and height maps aren't vertically mirrored for no reason!
  • Nyla and Psei, binary asteroids and loose analogs for the far outer moons Neso and Psamanthe (me)

Dependencies:

• Kopernicus 
  • Outer Planets Mod (the original)

Recommended mods for compatibility:

• Distant Object Enhancement – OPX-NeidonPlus comes with a config coloring the distant points of all new objects within DOE. It looks great, try it out!
  • Minor Planets Expansion – Adds several objects to the vicinity of Neidon, making it less lonely. They fit with the artstyle of OPX as a whole, furnishing any Neidon explorer with further destinations beyond.
  • OPX-FinalFrontiers (when I finish it) – Another installment of the OPX project, this mod adds further destinations in the same vein as MPE. This mod doesn't actually exist yet, I just pretyped this blurb to save some time later

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Neidon's new texture

m1pnP9M.png

Neidon and its moons, Chymere and Thatmo clearly visible

ZP2EZ7D.png

Nito and Tito (by Janet)

3meqipC.pngJbrNlc9.png

Gryspar, by Janet and myself

dbwWX0F.png6bgYBwh.png

Chymere, by Janet

mFGcYu5.png

The new Thatmo

cxTOZgL.png

Nyla and Psei

Z4slgPR.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

MOST RECENT VERSION: 0.7 beta

• 0:3: Added a new moon, Hargalað.
    • Go, but don't show.
    • Scatterer atmosphere for Neidon and Thatmo.
    • Expanded science defs (will fully finish later).
  • 0.3.2: NiakoUtils bundled for ease of installation.
  • 0.3.5:
    • DDSification
    • Fixed Chymere, added PQS Material
    • Bundled KopernicusExpansion (thanks to Funnelton for helping figure that bit out!)
  • 0.3.6: Increased PQS radii of Chymere and Tito
  • 0.37:
    • Increased size and mass of Neidon to closer match Neptune equivalent mass
    • Changed Thatmo rotation period to match
  • 0.4:
    • Completely Revamped Thatmo.
    • Redid Scatterer configs for Thatmo and Neidon.
  • 0.5:
    • Biome maps for Nito, Tito, Hargaladh, and Chymere
    • Added Gryspar
    • Added Nyla
    • Added Psei
    • Complete redo of the file paths 
  • 0.6:
    • Adds Thatmo biomes
    • Hargaladh buff
    • Removes OPM as a strict dependency
    • Adds new scatterer configs for Neidon and Thatmo
  • 0.7:
    • Nissee remaster added – Main features are done!
    • Slight file reorganization

TO DO:

• Gryspar biomes

Upcoming Installments:

In the coming weeks and months, I will continue work on the four gas giant expansions, adding more features to each. After that, I will begin work on the tentatively named "OPXtras", four installments that add other objects to the edges of the solar system (be they the literal edge or the edge of the size graph): FinalFrontiers (dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt), UndiscoveredCountries (Planet 9 and 10), InnerWorlds (inner system minor bodies), and CometsPlus; which each fill in a number of gaps left by the Minor Planets Expansion and add unique gameplay challenges that are not offered in any other mods to my knowledge.

Please let me know if you enjoy this mod, and if you didn't, what I can fix or add. Thank you for downloading!

Credits:

Spoiler

Frequently Asked Questions:

Spoiler
  • Q: I downloaded OPX with CKAN and my game isn't working!
  • A: Don't download it with CKAN. CKAN is really terrible. Download it manually like the rest of us.

Licence: MIT

Edited by The Minmus Derp
NeidonPlus update v0.7

Posted (edited)

Installed it with the JoolRevamp mod and it seems two jools are overlapping each other. JoolRevamp must have spawned another Jool at the same place.

EDIT: Became mad and moved some configs and textures.

EDIT 2: Modified my configs and the game won't load.

EDIT 3: Removed all Aditel configs, caches, and textures I had moved.

EDIT 4: Realized I did an oopsie in the Aditel config and fixed it.

EDIT 5: It did not work.

EDIT 6: Found the problem, it was the referenceBody node in the orbit section. It said JoolC instead of BetterJool

Edited by theogameren

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, theogameren said:

Installed it with the JoolRevamp mod and it seems two jools are overlapping each other. JoolRevamp must have spawned another Jool at the same place.

EDIT: Became mad and moved some configs and textures.

EDIT 2: Modified my configs and the game won't load.

EDIT 3: Removed all Aditel configs, caches, and textures I had moved.

EDIT 4: Realized I did an oopsie in the Aditel config and fixed it.

EDIT 5: It did not work.

EDIT 6: Found the problem, it was the referenceBody node in the orbit section. It said JoolC instead of BetterJool

JoolRevamp can't function with JoolPlus without some modifications. I completely stripped all of the config files except the one with Aditel and made aditel point at BetterJool instead of JoolC. If you do that you should be fine.

3 hours ago, theogameren said:

There appears to be some spikes on Klip's poles and a Metole.

I must confess I am unaware of what a Metole is. Do you mean Meto the inner moon?

3 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

JoolRevamp can't function with JoolPlus without some modifications. I completely stripped all of the config files except the one with Aditel and made aditel point at BetterJool instead of JoolC. If you do that you should be fine.

I must confess I am unaware of what a Metole is. Do you mean Meto the inner moon?

Yep, a hole on Meto's north pole.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, popos1 said:

there is a new contracts for a new moons?

I am not a career player, I wouldn't know how to do that. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to figure it out at some point

1 hour ago, Iapetus7342 said:

You should keep the Methole

I think I may!

Some NeidonPlus work is in progress! 

Spoiler

P2JIaY8.pngKfxmQkg.pngRPmQqDe.pngt444H4v.png

The two most distant moons of Neidon, Nyla and Psei, are complete! All I need now is to finish Thatmo's biome map and figure out what to do with my Larissa analog and a second OPX installment will release!

4 minutes ago, theogameren said:

YES! I'M SOOOOO EXCITED

I will try to integrate all of the addons into one folder btw.

poor me, i have temporary ADHD due to these news

Don't. Filepaths will break. 

On 7/1/2024 at 10:41 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

soon I realized that something was lacking. The moon systems of all the gas giants felt almost... empty.

I felt this way without realizing I was feeling this way.  Thank you so much for doing something about it!  I can't wait to see what you develop!

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

I felt this way without realizing I was feeling this way.  Thank you so much for doing something about it!  I can't wait to see what you develop!

Thanks so much! The most egregious offender was obviously Neidon because come on theres only two moons that are impossible to reach from each other. Me and Janet are ratcheting that up to eight (nine if you count the Nyla/Psei binary as two) and ironically in the final plan Jool and Urlum are tied for last place in the total number of moons. 

A little progress update for everyone, here's the orbits that we have so far. What's on those orbits is for you to find out when I release the thing (except the brown one around Neidon, that's Nissee to give reference for just how far the gray one is)

aoLduhR.pngjfATVP5.pngfB4A6tx.png

2 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

(except the brown one around Neidon, that's Nissee to give reference for just how far the gray one is)

fB4A6tx.png

I presume the Grey orbit is for some Neso analog.

3 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

The most egregious offender was obviously Neidon because come on theres only two moons that are impossible to reach from each other.

I'm in one hundred percent agreement.  I don't think you could make me more interested in your efforts if you tried.  Once again, thank you so much!

5 hours ago, Iapetus7342 said:

I presume the Grey orbit is for some Neso analog.

Correct you are! You'll see when the next NeidonPlus comes out.

5 hours ago, Nikolai said:

I'm in one hundred percent agreement.  I don't think you could make me more interested in your efforts if you tried.  Once again, thank you so much!

NINE MOON NEIDON LETS GO

I managed to miss the launch of a new mod series that I'm sure to install by a few days? What luck!

Anyways, I have a few rough thoughts & questions to share.

Are the major moons going to be on a nearly flat plane and/or have near perfect circular orbits? I understand if you prefer to not stray too far from stock, but it would be nice detailing and nice minor challenge to add. Or for realism/stability, like with Iodyne.

It's a bit disappointing to see Jool become more Saturn-like, but the details look good, and it's still amusing to see a green gas giant. Can't wait to see it up close!

Too bad the gas giant/star tilt unlocker hasn't been updated, then you could make Urlum too similar to Uranus! Might it still work?

You put in the description that Janet's Minor Planets is recommended, and that OPX-DPP will fill in gaps from MPE; is it planned that these two will remain distinct and compatible? Also, I've seen in the comments there that there's two user patches for some bugs and typos in MPE; if you plan on official recommending/support, and they're needed, will you make your own patch?

Is OPX-SSM strictly limited to OPM+Stock(+MPE?) additions/alterations with some caveats for OPM/Stock scale mods like JoolRevamp, or are mods that add in more on the table?

You say Jool (and Urlum) is too empty; you could add custom asteroids to Jool to fill in the empty space, or is that too minor to add?

Some of your ambitions come close to what Iodyne changes (minus Principia), a mod I enjoy, I wonder what you'll do instead. I think I'll enjoy it either way.

This is an ambitious project, and you already have something great out! I wish you the best!

On 7/6/2024 at 6:26 PM, QuadrilateralsAreCool said:

Are the major moons going to be on a nearly flat plane and/or have near perfect circular orbits? I understand if you prefer to not stray too far from stock, but it would be nice detailing and nice minor challenge to add. Or for realism/stability, like with Iodyne.

Most of them, yes. Urlum gets something special because I hit upon the idea of merging Sycorax and Oberon midway through the brainstorm session, and Neidon still has Thatmo.

It's a bit disappointing to see Jool become more Saturn-like, but the details look good, and it's still amusing to see a green gas giant. Can't wait to see it up close!

I made Jool more saturnlike because I made Sarnus more Jupiterlike. I thought it was an interesting subversion that hadn't been done before. People always like to make the saturn analogs bigger than the jupiter analogs in outer system mods that aren't OPM, so I figured why not do the other half of that? 

Too bad the gas giant/star tilt unlocker hasn't been updated, then you could make Urlum too similar to Uranus! Might it still work?

It doesn't, but I did follow through with the original description to make Urlum and its moons rotate retrograde

You put in the description that Janet's Minor Planets is recommended, and that OPX-DPP will fill in gaps from MPE; is it planned that these two will remain distinct and compatible? Also, I've seen in the comments there that there's two user patches for some bugs and typos in MPE; if you plan on official recommending/support, and they're needed, will you make your own patch?

OPX-DPP will remain separate from JMP purely for practicality. Those two user patches aren't things that I've heard of, but I'll have to see. If they prove necessary, I might just provide links to the comments that provide the patches or wrap those patches in the download ZIP. It really depends on what the patches are, I don't know enough at the moment. 

Is OPX-SSM strictly limited to OPM+Stock(+MPE?) additions/alterations with some caveats for OPM/Stock scale mods like JoolRevamp, or are mods that add in more on the table?

I don't feel that the inner system really needs much in the way of additions. I have two added asteroids lying around but those are really just test articles and they kind of suck. If any additions could be made, they could be true Phobos/Deimos analogs, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Textures in the inner systems are things that I'm not touching, if mostly because the Techo's Planet Revamp is doing that right now and I can't do better. 

You say Jool (and Urlum) is too empty; you could add custom asteroids to Jool to fill in the empty space, or is that too minor to add?

I wasn't referring to literal empty space, and I was referring to every gas giant. I meant that too many niches for objects were left empty around each, which is not a problem that CustomAsteroids would solve. I did add a few Kopernicus asteroidal bodies to all four objects (well. I havent done the Urlum ones yet but shhh) but I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to. 

Some of your ambitions come close to what Iodyne changes (minus Principia), a mod I enjoy, I wonder what you'll do instead. I think I'll enjoy it either way.

I can't say I've heard of Iodyne, I'll have to check that out. Perhaps a compatibility patch is in order. Thanks for the feedback! Let me know if you enjoy the gameplay.