Mind the old Threads

HarvesteR

I know that we've been sent back in time a bit, so I just want to say this to everyone:

Please no screwing with the timeline! It might be tempting to take advantage of this fact and get some lottery tickets, but you might be ripping a hole in space-time.

For those that would like to get old posts back:

From a user:

"You can tell the users to re-post some of the threads using google cache, you can type this - site:forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com

It will show all the pages that are indexed on google, each with a date."

Thanks!

-DR KSP CM

So because "Harmless 'Protested to be Constitutionally Protected' DDoS Attacks" wreaked havoc upon your server, 6 months of data was lost... and the costs to repair the damaged server.

Meh; these kids need to grow up. [i can only imagine how bad it could have been had the store database been wiped out instead... and how could we verify that we had purchased the alpha?]

I'm looking forward to the 0.18 update. Maybe it'll be released in the last days of november 2012.

Btw, I've got some ideas for new planets; a dwarf planet called Dres with a notable deep canyon just south of its equator, and perhaps a small and icy planet beyond Jool. What name would be nice ... ? Ella? Eli? Nah ... I'd go for Eeloo.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would honestly not mind too much had the KSPSP been wiped out (well, at least to an early backup) as well. It's really a mess and it is overdue for some time in the orbital drydock.

I'm actually curious to know how a DDoS attack actually damages data. Sure, it saturates the network bandwidth and prevents communication - but why should that actually damage the data on the drives?

That is fairly easy to explain.

Most server software probably would cache a repeatedly requested document, so by repeatedly requesting something different you keep the server busy as it keeps fetching and caching "junk."

If your server software isn't careful, you can easily fill up the read/write buffer on the hard-drive... and if it overflows, what happens depends on the manufacturer I would say. Most likely bad data will be written in random places. Of course, we're also talking about a mechanical device that is being requested to perform far more reads / writes than it is advised for; so in addition to the overflow attack, you could have mechanical problems develop.

Keep this up over several trillion iterations and you can have some serious problems develop.

I don't think this thread has much purpose being a sticky anyore. Shouldn't it have been removed as a sticky by now?

And gmpd2000, you should be happy you didn't lose 300+ posts, 2+ rep, and your entire account.

Edited by TooManyErrors

wow.. back to 1 post and all my history is gone. Can't believe you don't test backups, I sure hope your store backed up is working so in the case you have an issue with that database your paying customers don't lose out on their purchase.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.