The Linux compatibility thread!

Has anyone had any Success getting the ISA MapSat to work? i get the old one to semi-work but there's not evidence of any mapping or a button anywhere, the current Dev build just crashes/freezes the game upon launch/fly

Has anyone had any Success getting the ISA MapSat to work? i get the old one to semi-work but there's not evidence of any mapping or a button anywhere, the current Dev build just crashes/freezes the game upon launch/fly

I've never used the plugin, but if you check out the showcase thread there are some details about problems people had and what they did to fix. Not sure if it has anything to do with what you're getting:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build?p=476429&viewfull=1#post476429

I was so fed up with the 32-bit Windows version running out of memory because of too many mods that I decided to try the 64-bit Linux version of KSP and install Ubuntu 13.04... which was horrendous to get working, especially getting the proprietary Nvidia drivers installed, but now that it does I'm loving using literally every mod I've downloaded (sitting at 6GB+ of memory usage). They reallllly need to make a 64-bit Windows version though, the performance of the Linux version is noticeably worse and I had to turn down some of the graphics. Has anyone had better performance using the newest Nvidia drivers, I have 304 installed currently and I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to upgrade to 319 to see if it increases performance.

Not tried 319 yet as I tend to stick to the x-swat drivers, which seem to still be on 313.

Yeah KSP is still a bit slower but not much, and it's like the top end is gone rather than being slow overall, so it stays playable :)

Nvidia started working hard on linux drivers back in late 2012.

They relesesd the 310.X Drivers in Nov 2012.

The 304.X drivers your using are from June 2012.

I have used All of these drivers and noticed a big diffrence in any thing 310.X or greater.

Ive also found the 319.32 Driver I'm using, relesed June 2013, now works great with GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS that came out with the 310.14 (?) dirvers.

Allowing me to run about 60 more parts before I slow down. What will really mess with your head is seeing more than 100% cpu usage when its turned on :)

I suggest that ya update them drivers and use

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ./KSP.x86_64

from terminal inside of the KSP folder.

Happy to have another linux convert :)

I couldn't find an answer to this elsewhere, so here we go...

I'm using linux mint 15 atm, and the ksp freezes on the very end of the loading screen, I can see the bar fill up, but nothing happens then.

I get no error message, if I try launching via the command line.

no mods, deleted settings.cfg to be sure...

EDIT: Due to copying the files from existing installation, the permissions were wrong on home/"user"/.config/unity3d

I deleted it and downloaded new client, works now on linux mint 15!

Edited by MilanFIN

AncientGammonerm, About memory and the 64bit version, the 32bit Linux version can handle a LOT more memory than then 32bit Windows version. This is so in both 32bit under 64bit Linux and 32bit Linux. 32bit Linux runs in PXE mode, and under 64bit Linux memory segmentation is handled a lot better.

32bit Linux programs support 4GB per a program segment and programs can have multiple segments up to several terabytes of physical and/or virtual memory, meanwhile 32bit Windows supports 3GB physical memory on the entire system, and many 32bit programs are restricted to 2GB of memory. Technically, under 32bit Linux most users could run a program that maps their entire hard drive to virtual memory address space without hitting the limit. Notably, under 64bit Linux this could be done in one data segment, though.

I am not sure if KSP uses multiple data segments, so I'm not sure

Officially, the Unity Game Engine supports Ubuntu from 12.04 onwards, older versions may fail to run KSP as they may be missing dependencies that they cannot install, and other flavours of Linux may also struggle a bit.

The MScorefonts should do it yeah, though I have had mixed results particularly with KSP in Wine.

The two fonts you need are linked in the opening post of this thread, Arial.ttf and ArialB.ttf, both need to be in your distro's fonts folder :)

• 2 weeks later...

Morning,

I've already tried most of the solutions you have proposed and my ksp keep crashing just after loading it. The demo worked perfectly and all the troubles started when I buyed the full game.

Version:

Kerbal Space Program - 0.21.1.0 (LinuxPlayer) Steam

Running on:

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz (2)

RAM: 4021

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel® 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 (256MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 Mesa 8.0.4])

The last 3 lines of the log file.

[LOG 23:10:41.530] PartLoader: Compiling Internal Space 'Squad/Props/throttle/prop/throttle'

[LOG 23:10:41.535] PartLoader: Compiling Internal Space 'Squad/Spaces/GenericSpace1/internal/GenericSpace1'

[LOG 23:10:41.541] PartLoader: Compiling Internal Space 'Squad/Spaces/GenericSpace3/internal/GenericS

I really hope that something could be done ! Txs

Not sure if it is appropriate place to post bug reports, but I couldn't find better one, so:

KSP-0.20 crashes after I start new game (enter name, choose flag, pres "Start"). After few moments game exits and I see the following in the console, that started the game:

Set current directory to /mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux

Found path: /mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64

Mono path[0] = '/mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Managed'

Mono path[1] = '/mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono'

Mono config path = '/mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'

Aborted (core dumped)

I have Mobility Radeon HD 5450 with OSS drivers. OS is Ubuntu 13.04. KSP install is a fresh one (deleted old KSP directory and unzipped 0.20 distribution). KSP-0.19.1 worked fine.

Can I help debugging this issue?

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Pretty Pretty Princess. Wait, no, Perservering Pontificator? Shucks.

Anyhow, same error codes when I run from terminal. I double click the icon, nothing happens. 64 bit, 32 bit, whatever. Killed the settings.cfg, no difference. I played on tuesday, no problem.

Things that have changed - I was told to fix another game I had to install this 32 bit compatibility package thing. Gnome something or other.

Clearly I'm an experienced linux user. *cough*

last time I consistently used POSIX was bona-fide UNIX before Sun went pear shaped. Sun Sparc 6 workstations. Woohoo. 1999 Vintage.

Enlightenment desktop. *sighs*

In any case, Ubuntu is pretty bone stock except for the additional packages I installed. Also something called alacarte. I deleted the snot out of that using the apt-get uninstall and apt-get autoremove. Still didn't fix it.

Not sure what all the other packages were, but it was a whopping 200 megs or so, could be the problem. I have a hard time believing I will have to remove all of them to get KSP working again, though.

Just to be clear, my screen doesn't even flicker, no window pops up, i double click the icon and absolutely nothing happens. I select run, nothing happens, and when I do the ./ksp.x86 thing, I get the same error dodad as above. my game log is still from tuesday, when I launched over a dozen kerbals on a trans-jool trajectory towards Laythe. Please don't let them die.

Fix me.

Plz.

*dies a slow painful death after yet another thing breaks*

//endrant

*One more little wrinkle, since this is a linux thread, I figure if anyone knows anything about getting dual monitors running on an ATI Radeon 7770 under ubuntu, hit me with a PM or something so as to not derail the thread - but all i can seem to manage is mirror mode, which is slightly less than useful, although it's handy to not have to turn on a nightlight lol. Keeps giving me an error referring to the size/position being out of range? 22" Westinghouse on one DVI port, acer 19" on the other, both 16:10, both capable of positively ridiculous resolution... but this would help greatly once I get KSP rolling again, since I have been simply booting up my little android stick on my TV to keep an eye on news feeds and run skype/etc while I game, this could free up some resources while waiting for transfer windows and the like.*

thanks.

again.

EDIT: Due to copying the files from existing installation, the permissions were wrong on home/"user"/.config/unity3d

I deleted it and downloaded new client, works now on linux mint 15!

Next time save yourself the download. chown is your friend.

if your user login name for mint is Milan it would look like this:

sudo chown -R Milan /home/Milan/"dir of kerbal"

The -R is for recursive, Milan is the user

You can also set the group too!

sudo chown -R Milan:root /home/Milan/"dir of kerbal"

Milan is the user in group root.

hope this helps somone when migrating stuff.

Fixed it. I think. It's loading now. somehow Ubuntu dumped all my graphics drivers. Yet, at the same time, I was somehow still getting graphics in other applications.

and as I type this, KSP just closed midway through loading. *Facepalm*

anyhow, at least the application itself popped up.

I finally got around to acquiring a joystick, a used Thrustmaster Hotas X, and on Linux I'd like to report.....absolutely no problems whatsoever, it worked flawlessly! Sensitivity had to be knocked well down and deadzones added to negate twitchiness in planes, and I can't seem to get the brakes to stay on, but really can't quibble.

• 2 weeks later...

KSP runs perfectly here (Ubuntu 13.10), but I have one problem: The alt key, otherwise used for duplicating subassemblies in the VAB, is already used by the OS for drag-moving windows. The key doesn't appear to be re-mappable in KSP settings, so I can't use the functionality. Any solutions to this?

KSP runs perfectly here (Ubuntu 13.10), but I have one problem: The alt key, otherwise used for duplicating subassemblies in the VAB, is already used by the OS for drag-moving windows. The key doesn't appear to be re-mappable in KSP settings, so I can't use the functionality. Any solutions to this?

KSP in linux uses right shift for all alt key's functions.

Nope, right shift + click seems to grab the whole stack in the VAB.

That would be the left shift, left shilft drags the vessel, right shift duplicates. If it doesn't work for you then there's something wrong with your config or with the soon to be released 13.10, I'm using 13.04 without issues.

I think that a previously solved "png causing the game to crash" issue is effecting my copy of KSP, but when I click the link to the original thread (on Page 15 of this thread) I get the "you do not have permission to access this page" message.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33232-Linux-version-does-not-start-unless-some-files-are-removed?p=430800&viewfull=1#post430800

I looked through the rest of the pages on this thread, and didn't see any other posts with the same problem.

Again, the KSP.x86_64 binary in the latest version 0.22 is identical to the last, so retain your modified-for-libpng binary.

diff between 0.22 binary to earlier modified binary:

< 07cebc0: c3c7 0525 19b3 0000 0000 00b8 0000 0000 ...%............

---

> 07cebc0: c3c7 0525 19b3 0001 0000 00b8 0100 0000 ...%............