Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

How did you do this?
Check my [Tutorial] Circular station building. I'm pretty sure RogueMason build his in a similar way.

(Damn, I REALLY should update that tutorial to 1.0.X. :rolleyes:)

It's somewhat similar to the third technique in that tutorial thread with the hitchhikers. Start off with a core module, then place some radial attachment points on it, because these will be where the 'spokes' are attached. The spokes themselves can be any suitable part, ranging from the emptied SRBs in my mega torus to smaller structural fuselages.

When you've got spokes of the desired length, and you've decided on the thickness of the ring (Mk3 as seen in the torus in question will do for this, but Mk2 is also nice), place a crew cabin with an attachment node; they don't surface attach, so this is a necessity, but it's good because it keeps it tidy. Once attached, use the rotate and offset tools to align the cabin as necessary. Now you've got the starting points of the ring. Start placing more cabins around the ring, using the rotate tool to adjust the curvature with each additional part.

Once all the cabins have been placed, there'll probably be gaps on the outer edge of the ring. Go around the ring and use the offset tool to get rid of these. After you're done with that, offset the spokes to adjust the length as needed in order to bring the sections of the ring into place. Hopefully, having been through all that, you'll have a torus that just needs some struts where appropriate :)

-----

Got some good stuff done today. I had two missions en route to Laythe, so I figured I'd get on with them. One is a rover, the other a probe with a piggyback lander, Cassini-Huygens style.

The Surveyor probe got to Jool first, but because I foolishly thought I could use gravity assists to completely change the orbit direction, only the lander has thus far completed its objective, while the probe has, somehow, managed to tour all of the 3 innermost moons.

pYsCyPT.png

Tylo fly-by on the way in. I used this to get a Jool capture, and it worked, thankfully. I was spared a merciless aerobrake. Going the wrong way round, though.

00uJyoc.png

First Laythe encounter, and there was an, umm... significant speed difference. Not much I could do, there.

Xy6gMcU.png

A short while prior to the next Laythe encounter, I released the piggyback lander, already being on course for re-entry. The Surveyor got clear of the atmosphere...

H5x31An.png

...and the lander splashed down mostly intact. Mostly. It lost its RTG upon entering the atmosphere (at around 6.5kms-1!!) and so it didn't have long left before dying, but hey, I got something from it, even if I'm only playing Sandbox.

rHLpeKK.png

The Surveyor probe flying past Vall after I decided to attempt to get to the furthest reaches of the Jool system in an effort to swap the freaking orbital direction around.

s69xXgc.png

Second Vall fly-by.

B2jpYgw.png

8s02w2j.png

And then came the rover. Made orbit with the NTR stage without overheating, despite the insidious lack of radiators (?!).

Ube4dfV.png

Touched down successfully.

Lots of traffic at Kerbstation Two today due to some obsolete asteroid tugs coming in to offload crews.

Clockwise from left: Mun, C-class hauler, E-class hauler, Kerbol, 'Debris One' vehicle famously used in "Duna Ore Bust!", Ore Piggie Mk2.

leDmtGK.png

o2s0Goa.png

Gilreese or something unpronounceable

2kGimon.png

I don't know how to say this

mCnnC4D.png

But I sent you on this mission knowing you would certainly die, I didn't expect you to make it to the surface.

5HiZeev.png

Well she seems to have taken it well.

GQLtkiG.png

Enjoy the last few milliseconds of Tylo.

Finally! after so much planning, so much construction! it's finally ready to disembark

19508860414_aba8dd7061_b.jpgscreenshot19

The ICX-4 Starnought, boasting an impressive 72,000m/s of dV in its assembled state (barebones mothership clocks over 100km/s of dV) and enough provisions to create a small city on an exoplanet.

19508854044_f54dc55f20_b.jpgCapture3

Carries the Jules lander, the Vernes habitat, an ISRU lander with drills, facilities for the production and assembly of various parts, and tons of KIS storage space. All bound for the icy moon, Hoth, in the Polaris system.

So Nertea's new Mk 4 Spaceplane parts are perfect for recreating Thunderbird 2. In fact Nertea has confirmed a couple of times it's inspired by and meant to do similar heavy lifting jobs. You can make some truly GIGANTIC SSTO load lifters with this mod.

But yeah - Thunderbird 2. I had to try my hand at my own version. And it flies very nicely! :)

nbnhkgL.png

And fast, too! (Mach 3+ top speed and around 23,000 meters max altitude)

UCocckA.png

So I managed to load a rover from the runway and carry it over to the Snowy mountain area (Kerbinside).

W7cMqGH.png

DsjFHWL.png

WuoiazN.png

This is the real gimmick though. Achieved with a little help from IR Robotics parts.

euHQ6Ka.png

7TL1Bvq.png

hq8b3Qo.png

5xs1Yox.png

Ta daaa! :D

Full Album below:

Javascript is disabled. View full album