Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

I'm horrid at trying to make an SSTO. I'm going to make a reusable shuttle. Much easier..

Best of luck with that! Me and wings... we don't get along well. :blush:

I'm attempting to put the core of my new interplanetary design in orbit, but I'm about to get homicidal with frustration.

T6sMGb6.png

You see that boom on the right? It has no working parts, but I want it as a visual marker of which way is ship-up during docking. But 6 gimballed engines, 3 SAS, and an ASAS are absolutely, completely, utterly unable to keep the thing flying straight after the air gets too thin for the 6 canards at the bottom. You can see that the launch vehicle masses somewhere around 240 mass units, while that boom only masses 0.591. Yet the ship CANNOT maintain heading unless I add a counterweight of the same mass and around the same length on the other side. But if I put a similar boom on the other side, it completely loses its value as a visual marker, so after struggling with the thing for an hour, I've decided to mount an identical boom on the other side, on a docking ring, so I can kick it off once the thing is in orbit. Oddly, I've found that ASAS can handle significantly asymetrical loads once in space, if you simply apply thrust in increments instead of all at once, so I think it will be okay there. I just have to battle it up there in the first place. Aargh!

I'm attempting to put the core of my new interplanetary design in orbit, but I'm about to get homicidal with frustration.

-snip-

You see that boom on the right? It has no working parts, but I want it as a visual marker of which way is ship-up during docking. But 6 gimballed engines, 3 SAS, and an ASAS are absolutely, completely, utterly unable to keep the thing flying straight after the air gets too thin for the 6 canards at the bottom. You can see that the launch vehicle masses somewhere around 240 mass units, while that boom only masses 0.591. Yet the ship CANNOT maintain heading unless I add a counterweight of the same mass and around the same length on the other side. But if I put a similar boom on the other side, it completely loses its value as a visual marker, so after struggling with the thing for an hour, I've decided to mount an identical boom on the other side, on a docking ring, so I can kick it off once the thing is in orbit. Oddly, I've found that ASAS can handle significantly asymetrical loads once in space, if you simply apply thrust in increments instead of all at once, so I think it will be okay there. I just have to battle it up there in the first place. Aargh!

Why not just use an extending solar panel instead? It would weigh a lot less and could also provide power. Plus you can put it away after you are done using it.

The Independance.

Large interstellar scout ship.

Already done:

- Core

- Left auxiliary engine.

under construction

- Right auxiliary engine.

- Science wing

- Crew quarters

- Factory wing

- Scouting Sattelites

- Lander one

- Lander two

Thanks to the B9 mod. I love it!

I will post more pictures constructing the rest of the ship.

Launch:

RNUb4fW.jpg

Circularising:

n1IpRer.jpg

Core engine test:

YAyMN9l.png

Side:

UHqN5kL.jpg

Front:

brcpZ49.jpg

Back:

aSXbnr4.jpg

Extra engine underway:

dDADpUY.jpg

Left extra engine attached:

EO3bdSN.jpg

As I was driving northeast towards a Kethane deposit on the Mun, I noticed a large white beacon and arch to the east, roughly in the direction I was going:

5pTkgOq.png

NeeWZ5G.jpg

The beacon appears to go across the sky and back towards where my Mun base is.

I accidentally double posted, and I am not able to find the "delete post" button. Ignore this.

Edited by rryy
Due to the forums being slow, I accidentally double posted.