Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Wow. Those are sweet! I'm intrigued by that Duna lander. Interesting concept to use the I-beams for landing legs. I never really thought of that.

20.png

It's actually the shrouding/fairing for the rover, just to give it a nice nose-cone shaped tip when flying through interplanetary space. First it uses the heat shield to slow down -> lose heat shield -> uses parachutes on the fairing to slow down more-> detaches rover with more chutes + skycrane(bit of a wiggle to get it out but it works) -> descents further -> use skycrane to nicely land with a 0.1 m/s impact. I will send you a link for the Eve-rover later, I don't have it with me at the moment. It was actually designed for Eve, but works unsurprisingly well on Duna and Laythe too :-)

note: in the 'duna lander' image you can actually see the heat shield flying away. (tiny black dot ahead of the rover)

Edited by WooDzor

-snip-

It's actually the shrouding/fairing for the rover, just to give it a nice nose-cone shaped tip when flying through interplanetary space. First it uses the heat shield to slow down -> lose heat shield -> uses parachutes on the fairing to slow down more-> detaches rover with more chutes + skycrane(bit of a wiggle to get it out but it works) -> descents further -> use skycrane to nicely land with a 0.1 m/s impact. I will send you a link for the Eve-rover later, I don't have it with me at the moment. It was actually designed for Eve, but works unsurprisingly well on Duna and Laythe too :-)

note: in the 'duna lander' image you can actually see the heat shield flying away. (tiny black dot ahead of the rover)

Cool! Don't worry about the link though, I'll pass.

My Minmus Rover mission was a success!

Burning to get an orbit around Minmus.

f58870768fa83d5ebe0a91d546f61951.png

The Rover with the landing gear, used for traveling at high speeds with the Ion Engine, down. Next to it is the landing stage. I got the Rover down with some RCS manuvering.

58a73ef14db5d345bb609c631d327e97.png

The current Minmus Base in the Maksy Sea, complete with One habitaion module, One Rover, and one random debris.

6226c03f5b290078f2d5aa6f356dce4d.png

Jeb experimenting with his new toy. I never seen him smile more than this! Not even when trying corny pick-up lines on Maksy!

ba38882caa13b34cf1fe268faf9676c1.png

More Minmus foolery to come!

Testing out the Ion engine on my Minmus Rover. The test was to see how fast I could get the vehicle up to in one Kilometer. I made it to about 10m/s in that Kilometer, with the speed still steadily rising. Not sure what its top speed is yet.

Jeb had a blast.

d14d0e264c94e89d105580c86ec058c6.png

Also, I had no Idea that Kerbals could turn their helmet lights on while seated.

82e17aa7f511f3549d59c589cc7de552.png

Korolev and Chelomei lost a bet with Jeb, and the payoff was to design a Mun rocket to Jeb's demented ideas specifications. 37 NK-33 engines power her on liftoff.

9jGewoH.png

So far, it flies about as well as the real-world N1. Keep your finger near the abort button at around T+40 seconds. :confused:

screenshot355.png

I was testing this rocket-boosted gliding probe, and it later made a very photogenic pass the whole way over this northern mountain range. The vehicle overperformed and made a powerless glide for dozens of kilometers for over 40 minutes game time, I was especially impressed since it was basically just a tube with lopsided control surfaces stuck on it.

Also:

screenshot357.png

After forgetting all about it for months I was suddenly reminded that the VAB displays a plus-sized version of your flag on the wall. For morale purposes.

Edited by rodion
Messed up forum tags.

It looks like an alternate history in which an evolved Soyuz rocket takes Russians/Soviets (or their Kerbal equivalents) to the Moon (Mun)

It's a strange hybrid of Soyuz-on-steroids, N1, and UR-700 elements. Right now the different bits are getting along about as well as Korolev and Chelomei did, which is not well at all. :)

While the forums were down I saw a sad movie, so I made a mission sort-of based off one of the movie's themes. ;.;

The LX-440 Medium Lifter sitting on the pad carrying a heavy transfer stage and the payload.

gLDCtO6.png

You know, these cameras, when strapped on boosters, get some pretty dramatic pics!

PagfWP2.png

Goodbye forever, Kerbin!

dXiVdHk.png

The transfer stage accelerating into the Jool system.

bR8PPy0.png

At this point, when hitting my periapsis, I fire up the NERVA, burning off the rest of the fuel as the slingshot finishes. Also I got a Tylo intercept, so one decouple and an ion-powered adjustment later, the empty transfer stage and decoupler impact into Tylo, and the payload completes its mission.

zGkuhK0.png

5 Centimeters Per Second Probe is my first object to intentionally get solar escape velocity. At this point it's twice as far out as Eeloo as it makes its lonely journey into deep space.

t4M73D1.png

That's why I use Postimage.