Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

So recently I have been having a lot of fun with heavily modded KSP. Recently I started a new instance with many mods, including Firespitter with the updated DLL. However I noticed I had problems with specific parts after adding FAR. I cant really explain it well so here: http://imgur.com/a/JoiTa/

Is it just the fact that firespitter isn't completely updated? or maybe FAR?

Edited by ToastyToast

Hello Mister SNJO!

I have a problem. And that problem is the inability to configure rotors for tandem or coaxial helis, or, for that matter, quad-, hexa- or even octa-rotors. The root or the problem is that I want to build a giant quadrotor skycrane for my Laythe base. I have two potential solutions for these problems.

The first, and easier, solution is to add a "thrust limiter" value to the heli rotors (maybe limiting collective thrust rather than RPM) so that Throttle Controlled Avionics can work its magic.

The second, and much more intensive solution, is to add swashplate and differential collective customization. For example, for a tandem rotor setup, roll input would be sent to the swashplates (as per norm), pitch would give differential collective (more to back and less to front for pitching forward) and yaw would give opposite roll swashplates (left yaw would have the front swashplate go left and rear right). Translate forward could even give both swashplates forward, giving effective taxiing. For quadrotors pitch and roll would be controlled by differential collective, yaw by swashplates (roll clockwise for right yaw) and you could translate in the xy plane. Basically, allowing custom swashplate, differential collective and rotor rotation direction (important for coaxials, though you would also need to implement variable RPM for yaw control for those, too, but also useful for quad-rotors) would allow for myriad, and awesome, rotor setups.

I dont know where to put my feedback about the pre-relase about 7.0, but this is not feedback as much as it is a question:

How do i make a GOOD chopper? most of the time the chopper spins forward and i lose control. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This happened in previous versions, i just want to know if i am doing anything wrong.

PS: I DO put the main engine right on top of the gravity center. Maybe FAR is putting too much drag in the dognose?

I dont know where to put my feedback about the pre-relase about 7.0, but this is not feedback as much as it is a question:

How do i make a GOOD chopper? most of the time the chopper spins forward and i lose control. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This happened in previous versions, i just want to know if i am doing anything wrong.

PS: I DO put the main engine right on top of the gravity center. Maybe FAR is putting too much drag in the dognose?

You need to line up the CoM, and your thrust, but you also need to make sure that fuel drains in such a way that the CoM stays the same. Otherwise you'll go flipping all over the place. If your ascending vertically, you shouldn't be moving fast enough for FAR's drag to cause any major difference in your stability.

it's already been updated for 0.25

http://snjo.github.io/ Download Plugin button.

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but on that site, the download latest version links to Cursefurge, and there the download latest version links to Kerbalstuff, and on there the version says it's 0.24.2 compatible, but I try it any way and I still get a warning from Kerbal Version Checker that Firespitter.dll is built for 0.24.2.

I also tried just downloading the plugin from the link above, put it in Firespitter/Plugins and it still says the same.

You need to line up the CoM, and your thrust, but you also need to make sure that fuel drains in such a way that the CoM stays the same. Otherwise you'll go flipping all over the place. If your ascending vertically, you shouldn't be moving fast enough for FAR's drag to cause any major difference in your stability.

That's the thing, i am talking literally as soon as i launch and when i barely thorttle up. The chopper cant be lined up with the velocity vector, and even then, it always wants to spin forward. Yes, my COM and my COT are pretty much in the same spot (not perfect, i had to use my eyesight, but i highly doubt the difference of a few cm will make such a great impact).

The reason why i ask this on the FS mod and not anywhere else its because this did not happened to me when using simple VTOLs.

PS: Sjno, sometimes the propellers of the choppers will stop (but keep producing lift) when you put a lot of RPM/ thrust to them.

Has anyone delved into the info drive?

This little part is amazing at solving some of my most complicated action group issues.

Has anyone seen some other mod for that reason specifically or knows how to add the module to a command part?

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but on that site, the download latest version links to Cursefurge, and there the download latest version links to Kerbalstuff, and on there the version says it's 0.24.2 compatible, but I try it any way and I still get a warning from Kerbal Version Checker that Firespitter.dll is built for 0.24.2.

I also tried just downloading the plugin from the link above, put it in Firespitter/Plugins and it still says the same.

Yes, it'll do that, since the .version file belongs to the old 0.24.2 compatible version. You just have to trust that the new DLL is good. If the warning annoys you, you could edit GameData\FireSpitter\Firespitter.version to make AVC stop complaining by adjusting the "KSP VERSION" section.

Has anyone delved into the info drive?

This little part is amazing at solving some of my most complicated action group issues.

Has anyone seen some other mod for that reason specifically or knows how to add the module to a command part?

I just use Action Groups Extended for basically anything related to action group issues, as it's massively more customizable and functional, and allows for significantly more uses than stock or any other mod, like in-flight edits. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74195-0-25-Action-Groups-Extended-%28Nov16-14%29-250-Action-Groups-in-flight-editing

Just a small bug I think I may have found with the V7 pre release, as it currently stands I have a cargo helicopter I just quickly developed for Kerbin transport work as I need it, now I can get it into the air, provided there is no actual cargo on board, yet when I haven't got any cargo on board the helicopter takes off at a quarter throttle.

Also if I activate the hover function on the rotor, my helicopter just falls as the RPM of the rotor blade just drops to between 160-170 and this doesn't appear to be enough to keep the hover, if you would like I can upload it for you to download and try out. The RPM drop also happens if the throttle setting goes above 50%, it's almost as if the you're throttle down sharply as you go above 50% throttle. An if I set max RPM to be above the default 600, upon launching the RPM will reset back to 600 and any adjustment of RPM whilst in flight has no effect.

Afew quick stats on the helicopter are, it's weight is 34.214 tonnes, blade length is maxed, no. of blades is 10, and engine size is maxed, I figured I would need the full power of the motor and blade length so it can lift heavier cargo.

I found out it wasn't a problem with this mod, it was a problem with the game's memory. I've fixed it to where I can open the game with no problems, but now stock parts such as engines and rockets are all invisible now. I'm running the game on windows 7 with an HP pavilion laptop. I can't get you a crash log as I re installed the game and haven't had it crash since. Let me know if you need anymore specific specs, or if you can give a link to another thread regarding this specific issue. Thanks!

Edit: I got it working by uninstalling it again, still not sure what the problem was but it's fixed now.

Edited by Garfunkle

MODULE
{
name = FSswitchEngineThrustTransform
defaultTTName = thrustTransform
alternateTTName = alternateThrustTransform
useNamedAlternate = 1
}

The module doesn't appear to use specified alternate reverse thrust transform? I checked the source and module docs, also checked the ingame part via showListButton, pretty sure I cover all the bases.

http://i.imgur.com/szPeb7D.jpg. reverse thrust transform is set at the nozzle toward left of the image. but reverseThrust only reverses defaultTT object.

Is FSfuelswitch able to handle any type of fuel, or only stock.

I was thinking of using it it and FStextureswitch2 to make extraplanetary lauchpads tanks one part that you could change the type instead of having like 15 tanks in the part list. EDIT:Ok it canm it mislead me that it was ressourceName instead of name

btw I also posted about FSfuelswitch on MM thread to see if there's a way to use search nodes in the module and then write in a speficic case of the line. I think MM is not able to write multiple entries on one line but i'm asking here just in case. I'm trying to write and math on the lines with multiple value but I can't figure it out.

Edited by Saint-Stanislas

Is FSfuelswitch able to handle any type of fuel, or only stock.

I was thinking of using it it and FStextureswitch2 to make extraplanetary lauchpads tanks one part that you could change the type instead of having like 15 tanks in the part list. EDIT:Ok it canm it mislead me that it was ressourceName instead of name

btw I also posted about FSfuelswitch on MM thread to see if there's a way to use search nodes in the module and then write in a speficic case of the line. I think MM is not able to write multiple entries on one line but i'm asking here just in case. I'm trying to write and math on the lines with multiple value but I can't figure it out.

It should handle any fuel type defined in the cfgs, as that's essentially what the default types are too. I'm not sure what's going to happen to it in 0.26 though. A number of modules affect symmetry counterparts in the hangar, and that might all go pear shaped when 0.26 fundamentally alters the building mechanics.

is this mod ever going to get updated to .25 or are you wating for .26 and when i install the mod all command pods dont have a iva even the stock ones and i cant control them ether and on firespitter parts pyisics is disabled i use 64x ksp on windows but even on 32x it happens

Hey, I figured out what I was trying to do with Firespitter FSfuelswitch module. I'm pretty proud of my messy work ( I'm no regular coder so it's a kind of patchwork )

Just leaving the http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-0-25-Module-Manager-2-5-3-%28Dec-07%29-v-1c-Edition?p=1592386&viewfull=1#post1592386"]link toward the post on MM forum for those who might be interested.

Be careful, it's nothing like an actual patch, just some kind of twisted example of what MM could do

Edited by Saint-Stanislas

A 0.25 compatible dll is here.

I don't know what is coming in 0.26 or whatever hte number will be, but the devs have said they are reworking the build tools in the VAB/SPH, to make it easier to snap the craft together. That will most likely cause some nasty bugs with my wing, wheel, , engines, and mesh/tex switcher code. That's because any time you update trhe properties on one part, any paired part (symmetry counterparts) also needs to have the same values set. While it's quite possible those things won't change, it's not unthinkable they started almost from scratch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.