Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

I've noticed that AVC says version 7 of this mod is available, but it does not have the download link to it. I really only have the .dll for this is order to use MKS/OKS. Any idea why AVC thinks the update is already available?

Edited by Baythan

The firespitter.dll you can download from the github repo, is version 7. Lokk at it's version info, it's like 7.5463 or something, B9 still include 7.53.

If you aready replaced FS dll by the one from the repo, then you have the good version, it's just the avc version file in FireSpitter folder that still has the info of the older version. Just open it and change the FS version to the new one and avc should stop buggin you ( it's just a warning, it can'T cause an issue itself )

I meet strange bug, two engines moved to fuel tanks folder.

FS1PRE and FS1PRO. Who know how to edit this?

Remember that parts are found in tabs depending on what folder they are placed in, and not what kind they are. In this case, you'd just simply move those engines to the appropriate folder.

Darren

According to the "Mods and Plugins Library" thread this is updated to 0.90 but the title says 0.24.2?

Is this ok to use?

The Firespitter.dll plugin v7.54… will work with KSP 0.90 and supports several other aviation mods. It's unclear whether the Firespitter parts are compatible with KSP 0.90. I don't blame you for your confusion. I'm still confused.

I've a question, would it be possible to implement some sort of turbo/supercharger into the firespitter .dll for propellers? Like at "x" altitude, the turbo/supercharger engages, uses an increased "y" amount of fuel, and generate an additional "z" amount of thrust?

Well, I've tried all the possible workarounds for fixing the frozen prop hub issue and was finally cockblocked by KSP's transparency object sorting.

MODULE
{
name = FSplanePropellerSpinner
propellerName = geo_noseconeMain
rotationSpeed = 400
//windmillRPM = 0.01
spinUpTime = 2.1 //15.0
useRotorDiscSwap = 1
rotorDiscFadeInStart = 0.55
rotorDiscFadeInEnd = .95
rotorDiscSpeed = 120
rotorDiscName = geo_propBlur
blade1 = geo_blade
blade2 = geo_blade1
blade3 = geo_blade2
blade4 = geo_blade3
blade5 = geo_noseconeMain
}

The idea here is that geo_propBlur is the combined blurred prop disk AND a duplicate spinning prop hub, so its swapped in and the entire thing rotates. Making the other geo_noseconeMain a blade results in it being swapped out, so the effect actually works.

The problem is that KSP object sorting causes alpha transparency issues when it comes to using materials with alpha transparency on objects that need to be opaque. It assumes that because they have a certain level of transparency, they're always going to be rendered behind other objects.

This means that the prob hub ends up being "transparent"--it's especially apparent with the backfacing polys (namely, inside of the hub tip). Of course, you can force Use Alpha as Transparency in Unity, but KSP doesn't interpret that in the material set. So this results in-game:

2cjFmXm.jpg

Snjo, you're my last hope!

=========================

EDIT: I spoke too soon!!!

I fixed the prob freeze issue and here was the solution:

MODULE
{
propellerName = geo_noseconeMain
rotationSpeed = 400
//windmillRPM = 0.01
spinUpTime = 2.1 //15.0
useRotorDiscSwap = 1
rotorDiscFadeInEnd = .95
rotorDiscSpeed = 50
rotorDiscName = geo_propBlur
blade1 = geo_blade
blade2 = geo_blade1
blade3 = geo_blade2
blade4 = geo_blade3
blade5 = geo_noseconeMain
}

MODULE
{
//propellerName = geo_noseconeMain
rotationSpeed = 400
//windmillRPM = 0.01
spinUpTime = 2.1 //15.0
useRotorDiscSwap = 1
rotorDiscFadeInEnd = .95
rotorDiscSpeed = 100
rotorDiscName = geo_blurHub
}

Using a second FSplanePropellerSpinner module to control the geo_blurHub, allowing me to assign a KSP diffuse material to it separately.

Edited by keptin

It seems i am unable to set action-groups for the air-brakes.

Any solution for this?

I am using ksp .90 in 32 bit mode on windows 8.1 64 bit.

I have the same problem with all the parts wich can move (landing gears, air-brakes, bomb-bays etc.)

Is there a problem with the firespitter.dll plugin and ksp 0.90??

I fixed the prob freeze issue and here was the solution:

Can you help me with my propeller? I added the second module and I think I got most of the values over from the first modules right. I am just not too sure what to call the second rotorDiscName. Do you have a suggestion or are you seeing any other problems?

MODULE
{
propellerName = prop_cone
rotationSpeed = -150
windmillRPM = 0.1
spinUpTime = 12.0
useRotorDiscSwap = 1
rotorDiscFadeInStart = 0.95
rotorDiscFadeInEnd = 0.95
rotorDiscSpeed = 30
rotorDiscName = disc
blade1 = blade1
blade2 = blade2
blade3 = blade3
}

MODULE
{
rotationSpeed = -150
spinUpTime = 12.0
useRotorDiscSwap = 1
rotorDiscFadeInEnd = .95
rotorDiscSpeed = 100
rotorDiscName = geo_blurHub
}

I'm confused. Why hasn't there been an update for two versions? Not that I don't understand being held back by other things, or just not wanting to work on the mod, but I would like some kind of note on the original post edited in saying if the mod development was halted.

Here he updated it for .90 http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24551-Firespitter-propeller-plane-and-helicopter-parts-v6-3-5-%28Sep-1st%29-for-KSP-0-24-2?p=1603900&viewfull=1#post1603900

Oh, thanks! Been waiting because last time I tried using the custom engine...well, it started fine, then the plane went crazy and warped into deep space faster than light. The altitude counter was so high the units were...well, I didn't know KSP had units like that. I don't know why it does either. It should just say "YOU ARE RIDICULOUSLY FAR FROM THE SUN NOW. I'M GOING ON STRIKE," or something. It could've been something else of course, I use a lot of mods.

Holy moly, so what's up with the frictionless wheels? I can hit my yaw on the runway and do donuts in place. As fascinating as that is, I sort of expected them to have some grip. There's other problems with the brakes where if you turn away from your direction of momentum it will only kill momentum in the direction you are now facing so basically you can watch your plane strafe and be unable to make it stop. The steering doesn't seem to do much either. Is this just a problem with B9 wheels or do all firespitter wheels have this dysfunction?

I'm getting problems loading the firespitter mod on 0.90, installed via CKAN

I load the game untill about 70-80% and stop loading to a [Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object while loading part at Firespitter/Parts/Engines/part/FS_nose_engine/Griffon101

happens on both 32bit and 64bit, memory should not cap nearly as normaly memory crash occours at my memory usage at 48% and now i barely pass 40%

Do you mean 48% of your system's resources or 48% of what Unity can handle? It's moot trying the 64bit build of KSP as the majority of mods are not compatable. Squad themselves have said that the 64bit build is unstable, so mod authors stay clear from it for the most part.

Remember, your PC could be as powerful as Skynet, it doesn't matter 'cos 32bit Unity is limited to somewhere between 3-4gb of memory before it likes to crash.

You can do several things to fix this:

-If you use beautification mods try lower resolution packs/versions.

-If there are parts in mods that you do not intend on using then delete them. Please note parts only! No other type of file should be removed.

-Remove any mods that you don't really make use of, or any mods that have the same functionality as others in your build but do not do it as well. Resource gathering ones are a prime type here.

-Lower your ingame rendering to 'Half Res', try this before you decide to lower the terrain detail.

-Use Active Texture Management. This will greatly reduce memory usage but sacrifices some graphical fidelity.

+ATM users may be interested in Naten's ATM configs to handle problems such as missing Toolbar icons and the like.

-Force the OpenGL mode. I personally have had little luck with this, but many many others have. This will cut your memory usage yet again.

Another option that I'm not too familiar with is to use a DDS converter to change the format of textures into a more compressed format. It seems that DDS textures are slowly becoming popular with mod authors.

Work your way down the list, it's probably in the order that I would address things. Many would just jump to using ATM and OpenGL but you can get a better looking game, with more mods, that is just as stable, if you make small sacrifices here and there, as opposed to jumping in the deep end right away. Don't get me wrong, I've used ATM in the past and it is a great mod, I just prefer to use it as a last option.

Should your memory usage be okay, redownload the main Firespitter mod and make sure you use the updated DLLs, which are somewhere over the last few pages of this thread. A correct installation should then sort matters. I'm sure all will get an official update when Snjo returns.

Edited by Lei07

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.