Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Do you mean 48% of your system's resources or 48% of what Unity can handle? It's moot trying the 64bit build of KSP as the majority of mods are not compatable. Squad themselves have said that the 64bit build is unstable, so mod authors stay clear from it for the most part.

Remember, your PC could be as powerful as Skynet, it doesn't matter 'cos 32bit Unity is limited to somewhere between 3-4gb of memory before it likes to crash.

You can do several things to fix this:

-If you use beautification mods try lower resolution packs/versions.

-If there are parts in mods that you do not intend on using then delete them. Please note parts only! No other type of file should be removed.

-Remove any mods that you don't really make use of, or any mods that have the same functionality as others in your build but do not do it as well. Resource gathering ones are a prime type here.

-Lower your ingame rendering to 'Half Res', try this before you decide to lower the terrain detail.

-Use Active Texture Management. This will greatly reduce memory usage but sacrifices some graphical fidelity.

+ATM users may be interested in Naten's ATM configs to handle problems such as missing Toolbar icons and the like.

-Force the OpenGL mode. I personally have had little luck with this, but many many others have. This will cut your memory usage yet again.

Another option that I'm not too familiar with is to use a DDS converter to change the format of textures into a more compressed format. It seems that DDS textures are slowly becoming popular with mod authors.

Work your way down the list, it's probably in the order that I would address things. Many would just jump to using ATM and OpenGL but you can get a better looking game, with more mods, that is just as stable, if you make small sacrifices here and there, as opposed to jumping in the deep end right away. Don't get me wrong, I've used ATM in the past and it is a great mod, I just prefer to use it as a last option.

Should your memory usage be okay, redownload the main Firespitter mod and make sure you use the updated DLLs, which are somewhere over the last few pages of this thread. A correct installation should then sort matters. I'm sure all will get an official update when Snjo returns.

noonononono you don't get it it's not the memory limiting me

it's a missing part error as I explained, I'm using ATM now and running OpenGL, done all the memory tricks, on 32bit, doesn't work with 64bit either, with all the memory tricks in use. I think CKAN has broken firespitter and KAX

my unity limit (32bit) is not coming up even near (500mb head room) and the crashes I get at this moment seem to have something to do with other mods that I insist on having (like b9 kw, RT2, station science and many many others including TAC lifesupport and various plugins)

KSP: 0.90 (Win32) - Unity: 4.5.5f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

USI Tools - 0.3.1

Zero-Point Inline Fairings - 0.9.1

Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.6

B9 Aerospace - 5.2.6 <-- Actually 5.2.8

Chatterer - 0.8.0.86

Community Resource Pack - 0.3.2

Contract Configurator - 0.4.3

DMagic Orbital Science - 0.9.1

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.14.6

Firespitter - 6.3.5 <--- actually 7.0.1 or something

RasterPropMonitor - 0.18.3

Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.0 - 1.0.14.1

KineTechAnimation - 1.1.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

MemoryUsage - 1.1.1

Modular Rocket Systems - 1.4.4

NavHud - 1.1.4

Final Frontier - 0.6.1.604

PlanetShine - 0.2.2.1

RealChute - 1.2.6.3

Regolith - 0.1.2

RemoteTech - 1.5.2

ResGen - 0.28.2

SafeChute - 1.6

SCANsat - 1.0.8.1

StageRecovery - 1.5.3

TextureReplacer - 2.1.2

TAC Life Support - 0.10.1.1320

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.1.2

Alternate Resource Panel - 2.6.3

Transfer Window Planner - 1.2.2

USI Exploration Pack - 0.3.1

Freight Transport Tech - 0.3

Karbonite - 0.5.1

Karbonite Plus - 0.3

MKS - 0.22.3

USI Survivability Pack - 0.2.2

USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.1.1

Universal Storage (KAS) - 1.0

Universal Storage - 1.0.90

modulemanager loads 4772 updates besides those.

but I assure you it is not about the memory unless KSP magigally has some sort of part limit that it can handle.

and here's the log from alt+f2 when i get the freezing upon loading

[Log]: PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_noseEngine/part/Griffon101'

[Log]: Added sound_explosion_low to FXGroup flameout

[Log]: Kerosene not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Edited by FrozenDefender
fixed some grammatical issues and updated the addon list

Then please refer to:

Should your memory usage be okay, redownload the main Firespitter mod and make sure you use the updated DLLs, which are somewhere over the last few pages of this thread. A correct installation should then sort matters.

I do not use CKAN, I'm sure it's a great timesaving Addon Manager but I know for a fact not every newest version of every mod that it hosts is on there straight away. I'd suggest doing it manually as stated, using 6.3.5 as it's base and making sure you have updated DLLs. It's possible CKAN is linking you to some unfinished dev build, somehow.

I don't think it would hurt to do so for all of your mods. I use about the same amount of mods as you and I have nowhere as near as many MM patches, in this situation there could possibly be conflicts.

Personally I would just install and update everything manually. Yes its a bore, but it would guarantee a correct installation.

Edited by Lei07

Personally I would just install and update everything manually. Yes its a bore, but it would guarantee a correct installation.

I used to do manually everything then it blew my mind how many conflicts I still get with manual installation and especially when every single mod that relies on some other addon has a different version of the addon and seems to "require" the specific version and that messes up alot of things, also Astronomers visual pack seems to do some nasty things to 0.90 ksp.

- SOLVED

Advanced Jet Engine plugin caused it

Edited by FrozenDefender

Sorry if this has been asked, but is this updated to 0.90? Hate being sick with the flu and having trouble finding this.

The Firespitter.dll has been updated, but not the parts, though they probably still work if you get the latest dll. They are separate downloads right now.

I am hoping someone can help. When using the new dll I got from github I am not able to access the VAB or SPH and all buttons in the exit menu are non-responsive after loading a new sandbox I made for testing.

Edited by Master Tao

I had just gotten back from vacation and updated a few mods:

B9

NEAR

SCANsat

Procedural Wings

Procedural Fairings

Afterwards I was seeing a trash model of a command pod in the floor of the VAB and the game was often crashing on space plane launch (worked fine for rockets) plus SAS was spinning my planes.

I went through and removed the mods one by one to find the culprit the problems persisted until I removed the Firespitter.dll, and the problem listed above started when I got the new .dll.

Afterwards I was seeing a trash model of a command pod in the floor of the VAB and the game was often crashing on space plane launch (worked fine for rockets) plus SAS was spinning my planes.

I went through and removed the mods one by one to find the culprit the problems persisted until I removed the Firespitter.dll, and the problem listed above started when I got the new .dll.

Having this problem, too. I also lost my view of the kerbals in the cockpit and my stage queue. To fix it (kinda), I installed the full version of firespitter after removing the folder that comes with B9. Now I can fly, but only the stock wheels roll and no air brakes work.

I have got the lastest firespitter update, but several parts in it and other mods that use it don't work properly

Proppellor/rotor parts do not spin, some aren't even coming u as engines

Undercarriage sticks to the ground, same proplem with B9

Wings have no lift

Retrofuture propellors (no spin) and fuel tanks (no fuel values)

I have got the lastest firespitter update, but several parts in it and other mods that use it don't work properly

Proppellor/rotor parts do not spin, some aren't even coming u as engines

Undercarriage sticks to the ground, same proplem with B9

Wings have no lift

Retrofuture propellors (no spin) and fuel tanks (no fuel values)

Just replace the Plugin wth the new firespiter plugin. That should fix the problem. :)

Edited by Spacejuice

Okay I have a question that seems impossible to answer for all my googling and calculators:

How do you find out how many horsepower each propeller engine should hypothetically have by their KN?

:c

I kind of want to make a BF-109 replica, but I don't want it to have 6000 HP.

I've just installed Firespitter on Mac OS X and NOTHING works. Not only there are no sounds and the propellers spin constantly, I can't toggle gears, the air brake or anything that moves. I followed the instructions and it's borken. What am I doing wrong?

I'm having an odd problem. Radially attached FS wings and winglets have been falling off when spawning on the runway and sinking through the ground until they explode.

using the Translate gadget to push the parts together slightly seems to prevent this from happening, but it's weird nonetheless.

Also installing via CKAN I was getting a similar stop to loading and looking found a similar error with a reference to missing RESOURCE FSCoolant. I found the installed Firespitter\Resources directory was missing a file Firespitter.cfg that I found in https://raw.githubusercontent.com/snjo/Firespitter/master/For%20release/Firespitter/Resources/Firespitter.cfg

Once I put that file in place startup completed normally again, and the parts and plugin CKAN installed now work.

Edited by odmonk

I remember mentioning quite a while back that the biplane parts ought to be relatively fragile, given their light weight and high lift rating. Was that actually implemented? Because I had a plane hit a speed of about 140 m/s and it exploded. Just wondering if the biplane wings were to blame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.