Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

some more ummm.... "development" with the Termite Queen! Finally got the rover towing worked out. screenshot117_zps36a9362e.pngGrappling hook works! (sort of)screenshot122_zps882ab321.pngAnd I got this sexy lobster flyingscreenshot126_zps099184a8.pngTime to get this baby to the Mun! *que Benny Hill theme* (also, not in order)screenshot156_zpsb6aedb03.pngKerbin... we have a problem screenshot147_zps4de58496.png WHY ARE YOU SMILING YOU SADIST!?screenshot149_zpsb85e3127.pngalmost screenshot159_zps425f1a2a.png Jeb's mission was going well up until this point (mainsail broke off afterwards) screenshot160_zps8419d942.png

I went through a few different designs for my Munar Kethane Transporter, but is the end result.

I'm still working on getting them over to the Mun, but my biggest problem was getting them hooked onto the rocket in the first place.

I5dwSb9l.png

(click for huge BOSS image)

Been away from KSP for awhile so came back to play with Rover stuff. These are my first contraptions that involve Wheels.

Small and Medium Buggy, designed to be quick and easy Tugs on the Ground. Spare attachments on the Buggy's so you can swap with either Hooks or Magnets. Using the Hook on the back, and attaching a Magnet to a Heavy Object infront, will pull it with ease. [Haven't tried them out on any Moons yet, but from previous experience with KAS and lack of Gravity = Disaster generally with me]

Buggys_zpsdc341e07.jpg

This, is the how I like to call it "Super Heavy"

1556h5f.jpg

a few thrusters to make it 'jump' a bit, rear rocket engine for some YAHOO speed (and eventually death), room for like 3 or 4 Kerbs, a terrible wheel alignment due the asymmetrical build.

frontside view:

2prgq5z.jpg

inner view is awesome

j58met.jpg

this thing Works like a charm, may not look so big, but its huge, 3 stairs to get inside, driven it for hours w/o flaws... just.. just dont try to turn it after 10m/s.... thats pretty much its only flaw...

siaNRNR.jpg

Just wondering, is mine a bit on the light side (@21 parts btw)?

Cause it kept flipping on the mun @ more than 8m/s...

It's the wheels. If you use the other medium sized ones it will drift instead of roll. I've done quite a bit of playing around with this.

D0JTuDh.png

Some isplore variation.. Super light with extra wide wheelbase. I just keep going wider, at this point it handles acceptably at high speed on mun but still can't fearlessly rock out at 60m/s like on Kerbin. The wheel's friction is just not scaling properly with gravity, cause on Kerbin I can NOT flip this thing. I don't have a screenshot handy but I did one even wider than this, the wheels were off each edge of the launch pad. Same story.. the wheels will not drift/slide at all and causes massive roll problems.

The cost of using all of these lightweight parts is part count, the isplore's are all over 100 parts and it's mostly the little cube struts. One I-beam or girder weighs as much as 375 cubes, switching over to them in the name of part count is something I haven't been able to bring myself to do yet.

After a slight facelift, the first "Termite Queen" mobile base made it safely to the Mun!

screenshot202_zps71c287af.png Probably should have tested that capsule before launching it. It breaks off with the slightest bump, but aside from that it works fine. (espescially for my first non-Kerbin rover)

screenshot210_zps7aa3a607.png

screenshot205_zps17a16e9c.png

screenshot199_zps2c9af664.png

This was a very annoying problem.

screenshot196_zps1c182e54.png

screenshot206_zps17d2a179.png I am probably happier than that Kerbal.

The cost of using all of these lightweight parts is part count, the isplore's are all over 100 parts and it's mostly the little cube struts. One I-beam or girder weighs as much as 375 cubes, switching over to them in the name of part count is something I haven't been able to bring myself to do yet.

I got sick of this (final straw at lunchtime today actually), and made a resized Modular Girder Segment XL with rescaleFactor=0.5 and mass = 0.1 (half the length/width/depth, and ~¼ the weight), making it approximately the same size as 6x Cubic Octagonal Struts (6 cubics is only 0.006 mass), but only 1 part. I'll put up a picture as to why when I get home after work.

[Edit] Pictures as promised.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by NoMrBond

I got sick of this (final straw at lunchtime today actually), and made a resized Modular Girder Segment XL with rescaleFactor=0.5 and mass = 0.1 (half the length/width/depth, and ~¼ the weight), making it approximately the same size as 6x Cubic Octagonal Struts (6 cubics is only 0.006 mass), but only 1 part. I'll put up a picture as to why when I get home after work.

[Edit] Pictures as promised.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is a great idea. I was trying to stick stock with them to make it easier to share but I would certainly use this for my builds that involve a lander and all. Each one would reduce my part count by 20! I'd be inclined to double up on it, pull a full 44 parts out of my extra-wide design. This would really help increase framerates.

People building out huge girder sections for solar panels or radio towers or whatever would love these too.

The crew at the KSC Orbital Test Sciences division finally developed a launch vehicle and counterweight that could place one of our Rothar Series A rovers on the Mun. (Or any other body this side of Jool.) I decided to send one to Hudwin as a gift, as he's been stuck up there since his lander weird-physic'd out of existence (rapid, unplanned disassembly several days after landing). Plus I wanted to replace his first-gen rover (that barely makes 9m/s) to open up some more exploration opportunities. Here we see Hudwin with said rovers at the "first" Munar landing site (10km from where he landed).

20130627_ksp1189_rothar.jpg

The Rothar Series A features four TR-2L rover wheels, a series of solar panels to keep the two Z-400 cells charged, self-righting dual LT-1s, four Mk2-R parachutes for atmospheric needs, a full RCS system, a Clamp-O-Tron Jr for refueling, and it seats three. Also features an OKTO-2 probe core for autonomous operation. Comes in your preferred color of silver, grey and white, or white, grey, and silver.

20130627_ksp1195_rothar.jpg

It's got all the power you need! (Perhaps too much?) Capable of a sustained and stable 16m/s on the Mun, and well over 20m/s on Kerbin.

20130627_ksp1192_rothar.jpg

It certainly made Hudwin happy. (Then again, it was packed full of snacks....) Should distract him from the knowledge that since his Munar mission didn't officially "exist," he's not a high priority for rescue. How can you rescue a Kerbal that never landed on the Mun? ;)

20130627_ksp1194_rothar.jpg

Craft file here (rover only): Rothar-A.craft

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Hi everyone!

I'm new in the forum and in the game.

Taking inspiration from this thread, i made this rovers:

the "Millepiedi" (it's like centipede in italian)

dm5k.jpg

638f.jpg

and the "Tartaruga" (turtle)

3lqi.jpg

otvl.jpg

the first one is little slow (13m/s) and i noticed too late that there is no stairs to come back inside the rover...:wink:

When I first started playing, I couldn't figure out how to attach a manned rover to a Mun lander. This was my solution. It might be better suited to the "crazy lander" thread. Quite astonishingly, it worked like a charm.

On final Munar approach:

euutXIR.png

Oof.

ttfTzo7.png

Little known fact: tires make crude but effective airbags for landing.

4PuvrQL.png

Bill's Sunday drive is finished. Time to head home.

WrvZryf.pngA34fqiE.png

4gpa1GU.pngMGDYS0f.png

15zAalf.png

When I first started playing, I couldn't figure out how to attach a manned rover to a Mun lander. This was my solution. It might be better suited to the "crazy lander" thread. Quite astonishingly, it worked like a charm.

On final Munar approach:

-snip-

I swear I've seen something like this somewhere, I just can't think of what. Anyways, nice job with the very creative ascent.

Introducing the all new 2013 Kea Civik Type-K.

DoXRmwr.png

Travel in sporty style with the Civik Type-K!

Designed to accommodate your fast-paced lifestyle, the Civik Type-K is ready to go wherever you want, whenever you want.

Mc8fgZb.png

The all-new Civik is packed with the latest technology. Standard equipment includes high density road and fog lights, manually selectable all-wheel drive and remote starter.

The Civik Type-K (shown here) includes optional extras such as outside temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed and g-force displays. Busy drivers can free themselves from distractions on the road with the new self-driving automation system. (Docking port and decoupler assembly shown here intended for non-reusable deployment system and is not included as stock.) Keep in touch with loved ones and mission controllers with the included premium KM satellite radio!

BTO47mO.png

The Civik Type-K also includes many additional options typical of any sport sedan line, such as a ridiculously large, inappropriate spoiler and annoying ground effect lighting!

And just to give you something additional to be smug about to your neighbors, the Civik Type-K is entirely electric and self-sustaining* too! While everyone else is throwing around those old and antiquated "numbers" to crow about their mileage, you can put them in their place with "∞".

NsFkNdW.png

When you heed the call to explore, make sure you're in your all new Kea Civik Type-K. You'll be glad you did!

*Electrical systems require solar power to operate. Always drive responsibly. Avoid dark or shaded locations and operate only on sunny days for best performance.

Technical information

>> Some assembly required. The following accessories are not included with your new Civik Type-K and are required prior to purchase:

1. B9 Aerospace pack
  2. Aviation Lights

>> Some drivetrain configuration may be required for safe operation, depending on environment. Weezl Motors recommends disabling rear wheel steering and motors for operation in low gravity.

>> The Kea Civik Type-K features rear wheel-only brakes to promote safe operation under extreme driving conditions. This configuration can only be modified at your local WM-authorized SPH facility. See dealer for details.

>> The Kea Civik Type-K was designed for portability, and will mount safely in a B9 Aerospace wide-body cargo bay, utilizing the quick-release disposable mount assembly, shown mid-body.

>> Automated driving system includes stability control, and will operate most effectively in weightless or low gravity environments

Action grouping

1. -
  2. -
  3. -

4. -
  5. -
  6. Toggle ground effect lighting
  7. Toggle interior and entry assistance lighting
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -

Download

Orders accepted any time! Apply (download) online today!

Edited by Deadweasel

my first Kethane mining/refining Rig:

ksKe2VD.jpg

.....yea that is a landing platform

L6zl7ui.jpg

i made a small walkway.....

MSyfbzO.jpg

the empty weight is about 67tons

cS7E3Gm.jpg

as long as you have sunlight the converter and drill can work at the same time

Would you mind sharing the CRAFT file for this rig?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.