Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

Don't worry! As with any KSP "project", it's not a matter of if or not it's possible to do, but rather a matter of how many failed attempts :( and dead kerbals :0.0: it will take before you do it! :D

If I didn't have one already, that would be sig worthy! Someone sig it!

As part of my Apollo re-creation: My Mun Buggy.

A.K.A, the ironing board.

DxxxbYa.png

8qK4AX0.png

Edited by Tw1

This is my unmanned rover dispenser. It can carry 4 small rovers to minmus, and each rover is equipped with abundant RCS, so they can either be deployed in orbit and landed on their own around the moon, or they can be deployed from the lander after it's touched down.

PGMXgyO.jpg

xotfsLu.jpg

CEHbypN.jpg

3IrA8L3.jpg

On minmus, the range of the rovers in RCS flight is huge, from the ground, I put one into a 5km orbit, then landed at another spot with about 70% of my RCS left. On the Mun, I can fly a rover halfway around the moon, so they effectively can reach any spot on the mun from any other spot, purely on RCS. They are quite hardy, if you put the solar panels away. I've had some rough landings on them, and rarely break any critical parts. They each have one RTG on the ass-end which triples as auxiliary power, a dismount and righting assistant, and a crash barrier. In an emergency, if you crash it butt-first, only the RTG will be destroyed, and it has another RTG clipped inside the rover body.

With a bit of in-flight refueling, you could probably get the transfer stage to duna or even to Jool, where you could insert each rover to a different moon from orbit.

The launch stage uses all but one engine continuously, because engines should never be inert cargo if it can be helped.

So far I've put one lander on minmus, and three on the Mun. I like to name the rovers after famous groups. One group is Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine, another group is Ringo, Paul, George and John, there's Leia, Luke, Han and Chewie, and so on....

Well the pics have a rover in them, my K-100 Explorer, hanging form the boom of my boom truck. That rover weighs 5 tons so I am happy with the truck.

Boom-1.jpg~original

Boom-2.jpg~original

And an early K-100 version that is wandering about Kerbin.

K-100-1.jpg~original

Half a rover on each side of the lander for balance

M9BZVy3.jpg

Pop those bad boys off after landing

roTVZxX.jpg

Drive the probe bay over to the command seat half (using the probe torque to keep it up chariot style)

nhi4rMm.jpg

Dock the halfs together (Neddun had to headbut the command seat half flat first)

mxOS6Gp.jpg

Two seater Mün assemblable buggy, with four deployable probes

I tried messing around with rovers for a bit, 'cos tanks were getting dull

screenshot0-1.png

I call it the Shade-Class 2-Man extraterrestrial science explorer. It's not too easy to tip over, but I gave the thing a simple landing gear srimech (the forward solar panels extend to push you into the right position if you land wrong).

screenshot2-1.png

In fact, there was only one position I managed to get it stuck in (I sent the second buggy to investigate, and ultimately help tip it back):

screenshot3-1.png

No, I don't know either *shrugs*

Lander with 2 rovers landed at Vall to explore.

The rovers were very stable with RCS pushing down on acceleration for added stability.

Self righting Mechanism just in case.... it wasn't needed.

screenshot23.png

screenshot24.png

screenshot26.png

screenshot27.png

screenshot28.png

One happy Jeb.

Guest Aaack

My last rover, meant as a test to see if a couple of ion engines could improve the grip on the ground at the Mün (it does!)

zwbg.png

r3fk.png

xlev.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.