An open letter to Squad

MacMan131

Dear Squad

I and many other people understand what happened and don’t blame you for this. But in any case it happened and stuff with to ****. So what I was hoping is that you might post a few images on the forums of the next update so to inject some enthusiasm in the community.

For anyone else out there who wants to let Squad know that we don’t blame them for the outage and the forum reset post on this thread.

If Squad wants, I will glady let them host up to 30% of their servers on my laptop :D.

I don't think this would help. Your laptop would burst into flames from the phenomenal power required to handle this forum, and your internet connection would keel over from the strain.

Squad has a lot on their plate at the moment, and plans are being implemented to prevent this from happening again.

Did I say "my laptop"? I actually mean't the PC with 10GB of RAM that I never use. How about 1%?

It's still not a server, and would crumble under the strain. Assuming that your internet connection could keep up.

Squad is using a dedicated server in a specially designed facility to protect it from power outages and damage while providing it with direct access to internet trunk lines for the highest possible speeds.

No household computer can match that without being sent to such a facility.

It's still not a server, and would crumble under the strain. Assuming that your internet connection could keep up.

Squad is using a dedicated server in a specially designed facility to protect it from power outages and damage while providing it with direct access to internet trunk lines for the highest possible speeds.

No household computer can match that without being sent to such a facility.

Considering this, I think Squad rents a supercomputer from NASA. Considering that NASA wants to get kids intererted in space, well...

Keep an eye out for Damion's weekly updates on Tuesday, but I think everyone can understand that Squad have a lot to deal with right now :)

Just out of curiosity, where has Damion been? He didnt do the normal twitch tv on Monday, and he only gave us like 4 updates on Facebook the whole time forums were down. I know he isnt a dev, so its not like he was stuck coding the forums. Would have been nice to get something out of him.

Hmm see some of you still have your Forum accounts... I had to redo mine.. So the change didn't go over very well for me... Now I have to start from scratch again... Post don't show up and all that blah blah. this is 3.

Just out of curiosity, where has Damion been? He didnt do the normal twitch tv on Monday, and he only gave us like 4 updates on Facebook the whole time forums were down. I know he isnt a dev, so its not like he was stuck coding the forums. Would have been nice to get something out of him.

He's been running around like Bill Kerman without his helmet on all week trying to coordinate the recovery effort and still keep the staff posted.

And computers can be very temperamental when they are being pounded on 24/7 by thousands of game fans. Ultimately the server broke in a way I didn't think was even possible, we were lucky to get this much back from what was left of its corpse.

Yea! KSP forums are back! :D

Excellent effort guys! Restoring servers with backups that failed for some reason and having to go back even farther into the past is NEVER a fun time. Been there, done that and I got the T-shirts around here somewhere. :D

What's a little profile and signature work on our part compared to that?

Ummm, what exactly did happen? Was it the Kracken or what?

DDOS attack apparently, somebody overloading the servers with rubbish data, causing them to crash, hard, and requiring a restore from old backups.

Keep an eye out for Damion's weekly updates on Tuesday, but I think everyone can understand that Squad have a lot to deal with right now :)

looking forward to it ...a bit bored actually , really want resources to be implemented to add more game play time .

I agree 100%! No livestream, and no post on kerbalspaceprogram.com. And now that the forum is back there is no weekly update not that he would put too much work into those anyway. Would be interesting to know if the devs were still able to code for the game or if they were all working on the forums. I thought the community manager would be employed and payed by squad to inform us... sad kerbal :(

Still it's nice that the forum is back, eventhough a ton of content is forever gone... along with it more that 300 of my posts and a thread I worked on for three weeks that can't even be restored via google cache. I think I won't be spending too much time here in the future, at least not activly.

..I thought the community manager would be employed and payed by squad to inform us... sad kerbal :(..

AFAIK Damion is an unpaid volounteer.

In any case I suspect they've concentrated all their efforts on scrambling to save and restore the servers as fast as humanly possible. I also suspect that the sheer scale and scope of the Great April Derp didn't become apparent emediately but came in the process of sorting everything out.

If this was the case, being silent was actually the best thing to do, as any information released on an ill informed foundation would be misinformation by definition.

AFAIK Damion is an unpaid volounteer.

In any case I suspect they've concentrated all their efforts on scrambling to save and restore the servers as fast as humanly possible. I also suspect that the sheer scale and scope of the Great April Derp didn't become apparent emediately but came in the process of sorting everything out.

If this was the case, being silent was actually the best thing to do, as any information released on an ill informed foundation would be misinformation by definition.

That's what I am talking about, nothing but guesswork... Also: I think that your first statement is wrong.