(0.23) Wayland Corp. Development and released download Thread (new parts)

Devo

What classic ship would you like to fly next? these are in production...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What classic ship would you like to fly next? these are in production...

• Biodomes from "Silent Running" w/animated doors and delivery system
    • ALIENS Marine Dropship (fully animated]
    • ALIENS APC Transport
    • ALIENS: The Sulaco
    • Star Wars - YT-1300 Milennium Falcon, Low poly, fully animated (landing ramp, cargo bay etc)
    • Star Wars - Boba Fett SLAVE1 (fully animated)
    • Star Wars - Rebel B-Wing fighter.
    • Star Wars - Original X-Wing.

You where right on the money. When I installed MK3 I thought none of the gfx had changed so I just copied over the part cfgs of all the old parts. Once I over wrote the old models with the new ones it worked fine. Damn if I know how the model can effect the the engines. I thought that was all in the cfgs.

Any good tips on way to make the landing leg units on the Eagle not wobble all over the runway lol.

I talked about that in the twitch video above but I may not have done a good job with it. I'll explain better here -

There's a landing gear glitch that the Eagle has. I'm not sure what it is. But it does make the gear "spaz" out. Sometimes to the point of breaking something on the ship if you let it go on too long.

The trick is to "cycle" the gear. By that I mean, you've got to raise them up then lower them again. 99.99% of the time this clears the bug and makes them stable. When I launch, I simply do so quickly and get into a stable hover and then raise/lower the gear.

Another way to do this would be to launch initially with the Eagle attached to a launch clamp suspended above the ground just a little bit. Then you could cycle the gear at your leisure and then release the clamp and drop the Eagle down. Obviously you want to set this up so that the Eagle is not clamped too far above the ground. The Eagle's landing gear is pretty robust. But the cockpit and the rear engines won't take a lot of abuse, and if you drop hard enough, you'll clip something besides the gear (usually the engines) into the ground and break it. I suggest setting this up in the SPH so that the Eagle appears to be hanging just off the hanger floor. Say - just enough for the Hanger Kerbals to walk underneath without clipping their heads into it?

Also - this landing gear bug will "reset" after a time. When coming in to land after any flight - always cycle the gear once before you set down. I usually try to remember to do this at about the 1000 meter mark as I'm descending.

While I'm on the subject - Another issue with the gear that I personally have - I do wish Devo had made the gear at full extension a little longer. Not only would it make the Eagle more like the source material, but it would allow more forgiveness in landings so that you didn't have to be super careful not to bang the rear engines or the bottom of the cockpit pod into something.

Also - I kind of wish that there was a way to set a "stop" on the retraction so that they did not retract all the way. But only retracted down to the level of the VTOL engine bells. That way when the gear is retracted, it still is supporting the Eagle rather than forcing it to rest on the VTOL engines. That way you could "crouch" the Eagle to pick up a pod without the worry that you might break something - especially if the ground isn't perfectly level.

These issues are less a problem on low gravity worlds. Really - when you get an Eagle to the Mun, it's in it's most natural environment and many of the above issues aren't nearly so much of a problem.

Which makes me wonder if maybe part of the problem might be the "springiness" of the gear? Maybe there needs to be less of a shock absorber effect.

You where right on the money. When I installed MK3 I thought none of the gfx had changed so I just copied over the part cfgs of all the old parts. Once I over wrote the old models with the new ones it worked fine. Damn if I know how the model can effect the the engines. I thought that was all in the cfgs.

I think I read that the model's 3d mesh or whatever is the correct term might have information on where the engines exhaust/force comes out.

I think I read that the model's 3d mesh or whatever is the correct term might have information on where the engines exhaust/force comes out.

It can have, depending on how Devo chose to make his engines. Most people use a thrustTransform, which is placed in Unity and incorporated into the model. Other people define the point that the thrust comes from in the part .cfg.

Since

You are welcome to modify or distribute any of my mods, infact I encourage it. If you think something can be done better, by all means make the edits and I'll give you the credit.

Alternatively, if you do want to modify any of my mods and distribute them, please leave a credit in the part.cfg is all I ask.

I always liked Wayland's station ring and since it was kinda outdated , i tweaked it to make it work with .22. I also added a center attachment point to it, disabled collisions and upped the mass to 5 ton since 2.5 was kinda too low for a station ring. I also integrated it in the tech tree. I hope you like it. All credit goes to the author as the part and every right to it belongs to him, i'm just trying to contribute so this awesome part isn't lost in between versions.

PART
{
name = wayland_StationRing
module = Part
author = Devo

mesh = model.mu
scale = 0.19

node_stack_right = 39.4, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 1
node_stack_right02 = 20.4, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1
node_stack_left = -39.4, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1
node_stack_left02 = -20.4, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 1
node_stack_top = 0, 39.4, 0, 0,-1, 0, 1
node_stack_top02 = 0, 20.4, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0, -39.4, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1
node_stack_bottom02 = 0, -20.4, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1
node_stack_back = 0, 0, 3, 0, 0,-1, 1
node_stack_front = 0, 0,-3, 0, 0, 1, 1

TechRequired = advConstruction
entryCost = 1000
cost = 900
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = 15 Metre Station Core.
manufacturer = Wayland Corp.
description = This 15 metre station core will hopefully support your

large space station installations. Surface Attachable, dock attachable,

in fact most items should attach somewhere, somehow. Ideal for multiple

housing units and connecting to other wayland O-rings.
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 5.0
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 19
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 4200

}

Copy and past that to part.cfg and it'll work. If you want i can tweak the other smaller rings too to make them work.

Edited by Zidane

It can have, depending on how Devo chose to make his engines. Most people use a thrustTransform, which is placed in Unity and incorporated into the model. Other people define the point that the thrust comes from in the part .cfg.

The mesh for the engine has to have a transform defined for the thrust AND the engine's ModuleEngines module has to have its thrustVectorTransformName property set to whatever the name of the thrust transform is in the mesh. By convention the thrust transform is named thrustTransform, but it could be named anything. (for instance, KWR renamed their thrust transform to NozzleTransform

Haha!! Nice Tommy!

I've found the Eagle VTOL engines (and sometimes the Pegasus VTOLs) are really amazingly useful across a wide variety of designs.

The only problem with the Eagle VTOLs on other ships is that the attachment points are so skewed off-center. I wonder if that can be edited in the CFG?

And now - a little bit of entertainment for my fellow Eagle lovers.

Remember this little picture back here? Well now I can tell you what happened. It was during one of my practice runs for the following.

This was actually my THIRD successful run through this obstacle course. But the first time I've recorded it. Taking an Eagle at an EXTREMELY low run through an obstacle course that is usually only used for ROVERS.

Video Description: A little precision flying among the facilities of KSC with the Wayland MK3 Eagle. I can imagine the boys in the research wing looking out the windows and crapping their shorts at seeing an Eagle floating by.

(I would like to note that this was done without a gamepad or joystick. Completely old-school keyboard punching!) :D

"It's time to buzz the tower!" < (Twitch TV link)

Edit: Figured out I could upload that Twitch broadcast to Youtube. But I'm not really satisfied with the clarity. Looks much better on Twitch, really. But here's the video anyway:

Enjoy! :D

Edited by Logan.Darklighter

And now - a little bit of entertainment for my fellow Eagle lovers.

Remember this little picture back here? Well now I can tell you what happened. It was during one of my practice runs for the following.

This was actually my THIRD successful run through this obstacle course. But the first time I've recorded it. Taking an Eagle at an EXTREMELY low run through an obstacle course that is usually only used for ROVERS.

Video Description: A little precision flying among the facilities of KSC with the Wayland MK3 Eagle. I can imagine the boys in the research wing looking out the windows and crapping their shorts at seeing an Eagle floating by.

(I would like to note that this was done without a gamepad or joystick. Completely old-school keyboard punching!) :D

"It's time to buzz the tower!" < (Twitch TV link)

Edit: Figured out I could upload that Twitch broadcast to Youtube. But I'm not really satisfied with the clarity. Looks much better on Twitch, really. But here's the video anyway:

Enjoy! :D

Yep, you take the #1 spot I gotta say, even I can't fly it that well :) Ah I wish I had the time lately to do that sort of stuff..

Ive had alot going on personally (just moving house, kids moving schools etc, ) its been really hectic, im getting in bits and pieces here and there but not working at the moment means im sort of having to do alot odd odd jobs that wouldnt normally have crossed over into my modding time.

I also thought I would skip a version, too many mods to keep updating for each one so now ill just make them on the second update. The scene transition lag bug (that I whined and moaned about for months) while yes it got fixed, that was very valuable time I couldnt really make mods or didnt want to, the game peeved me off too much with that bug, so im trying to get some of that time back with the new version thats due out reasonably soon, so im getting most things ready for that.

And ive been playing the odd bit of War Thunder here and there, it really is a great game and its a freebie

Hey Devo, if you need help updating your mods (those of them that will only require cfg editing), I'd like to volunteer.

Definitely, I am just on slight hiatus at the moment while moving house over the next few weeks. I am moving to the country (gonna eat alot o' peaches :) ) It's a fairly remote property, so really for the near future , or at least majority of next year I will be making mods pretty much full time. Everything I've done so far has been in my spare time, so lets see what comes up!

Pretty sure I've got the reaction wheels issue sussed out as noted above in a previous post. Most of your stuff still works in .22 Sandbox mode as-is. The models are mostly fine. Other than placing everything along the tech tree, there's only a handful of minor issues.

- One is that you made a great set of wheels. But when they break, Kerbals can't repair them unlike stock wheels. They're broken permanently. Two ways to address that I can think of:

- Make the breaking force so high that they just never break

- Make the wheels repairable by finding the appropriate bit of code.

On the latter I tried looking in the Part CFG that squad uses for its rover wheels and I don't see anything useful that I recognize. Is it the actual model.mu files?

The newly re-sized PX Shuttles are fantastic and fly great. Especially so once you fix the issues with the reaction wheels in the cockpits and SAS units. I just have some questions/observations:

- 50 Power on the linear RCS? Really? I've experimented by replacing all those units with standard RCS ports - but just used more of them and placed all over the ship rather than on just the nose. It seemed to work okay. If a bit sluggish. Using the Eagle RCS pods was a better compromise (16 Power)

- I've run into some problems in trying to place/attach payloads in the dorsal mounted cargo areas. To be fair - this is a problem I've also had with B9, LLL, and anything else that is bounded on 5 out of 6 sides. It's just that these cargo pods are really DEEP. That's both a plus and a minus. If you ever get the urge to re-visit those designs, just a suggestion: maybe look at modeling a payload module frame that someone could attach their payload to, and then that could be placed in the bay? Just a thought.

(I kinda have similar issues with the WT-51, but there it's mitigated by the fact that it's SO FREAKING HUGE that it's easier to muck about with the camera view inside and get what I want.)

- The Ventral cargo module with the "Thunderbird 2" style loading pallet works just fine except for one thing: It's nearly impossible to drive any rover up onto the platform. This was not a problem on the old PX. But with the scale up of the PX as a whole, the sides of the platform on these pods became too much for normal rovers to scale.

Another way to illustrate my point: On the old PX it was possible for a Kerbal to make a jump and get themselves up on that platform. On the new PX? The upper lip of that platform is ABOVE THEIR HELMET. The only way they are getting up on that thing is on a low g world and using their RCS pack!

You need to make that platform skinnier or re-model it so that it has sloping sides so that stuff can drive (or Kerbals can walk) up onto it.

- The Rotating engines on the PX work great. But - The front ones in the example models might need to be moved slightly. They are pointed at the leading edges of the wings in horizontal flight. I've gotten around this issue by dividing the action groups up so that I can keep all the rear engines on and turn off the front ones. I've also experimented with changing the position of the front engines a little. But I often don't like the balance when I do that. All in all, I don't think the PX Shuttle NEEDS those front pivoting engines. I'm doing some experimenting currently with a combination of the static VTOL engines up front and keeping the rear swivel mounts. This is less an issue with anything you need to do with redesigning the parts really. I just thought I'd point that out.

- What's a more serious issue is that the PX Shuttles have this weird tendency to lose their airbrakes. I don't know WHAT is up with this. But it seems I cannot keep an airbrake in its mount through an entire flight! Somewhere along the line the suckers break every time and then come floating out of their mounts once orbit is reached. Or maybe they weren't ever actually attached right in the first place? No idea! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

(WARNING: The following is "nit-picking". None of the following points change the fact that the Eagle VTOL engines are AWESOME in their effectiveness and utility. I'm just indulging in some petty "pet peeves".)

Another minor issue is the placement nodes for the Eagle VTOL engines. They work fine for the Eagles. They work... less fine for everything else. Why is the attachment point SO FAR off from where the actual engine is? Why can't they just be centered on the middle of the engine?

Still on the subject of the VTOL model. Is there any chance you could change the texture? The bells look like unfinished pig iron that was beaten into shape with a ball-peen hammer. I LOVED the smooth look of the engine bells you created for the main rear engines. It would be great if the VTOL engines looked as nice.

And - to combine thoughts from the previous two points: If you did both of the above, could you maybe just get rid of the wide circular base of the things altogether? There's nothing like that in the source material. And if the model were slimmed down to JUST the engines and if you could place them more precisely in smaller places for some really creative uses and they'd look fantastic!

Ahem. As I said. Nit-picking. Don't think I don't still love the things. ^_^

On the WT-51, everything works right with one glaring exception: The doors on the cockpit pod are broken. They won't close. I don't know what's wrong there but I figured you needed the heads up.

The Aliens Dropship. Well that's going to need some work obviously. A lot. That's probably the one that has the most issues. Reaction wheels, RCS balance. Fixing the rotating engines etc etc. And the APC... er... just doesn't work. At all.

One useful thing I can think that might make an interesting change if you want to implement it:

Now that "Damned Robotics" has been changed to Infernal Robotics and has been updated and works right. You can update the Dropship engines as you did for the PX shuttle.

BUT - what about doing something similar for the WT-51? This idea was sparked by the fact that you used the same model (just scaled down) for the Dropship engines (probably as a "temp place-holder").

Make the main VTOL Thrusters on the WT-51 have rotaters like the PX shuttle and the Dropship? That way you could really get the power of those engines into a ground to orbit flight profile without having to tilt the entire ship 80-90 degrees! How about it? Is it a good idea? If you do - I do suggest keeping the STATIC engines in the pack. JUST IN CASE the robotics mod gets broken again!

Hope all this helps!

I haven't yet had the chance to download KSP .23. Has anyone else had the opportunity to see if .23 breaks any more of the Wayland mods?

In the process now, and anything that breaks I will update it on the spot and re-upload to spaceport. WT-51 and pegasus first, then eagle and so on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.