International construction ISS in Kerbal orbit.

BobCat

Absolutely lovely. :) Is it possible to attach BobCat's Soyuz Service Module to it for delivery?

when will we see a new version?

Probably when Pirs/Poisk are done. I'll contact the guy who made the MIR DC, to see if we can include it as Rassvet. Or maybe BobCat could make his own Rassvet/MIR DC. They're almost identical, the only difference is the Nauka MLM outfitting attached to the former's exterior, which should rather be made along with Nauka and EVA-attached using KAS.

Also, BobCat, could you make S5 and P5 trusses? Those are small connectors for attaching to S4/S3 and P4/P3 truss sections, respectively. Right now, the truss could really use those, because without them, S6 and P6 kind of float in space, not attached to anything. This shouldn't be a lot of work, but would really improve the station, especially if you devised a nifty way to attach them without any "floating" parts.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/STS-116_-_ISS_P5_Truss_awaits_installation_%28NASA_ISS014-E-09479%29.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone is still alive and working on this, but I have a few ideas. Now, I know that romfarer worked on the Canadarm, and that's great and all, but there's a better way of handling it. Of course, this way is much more difficult for new players, so maybe you'd want to ignore it altogether. On all of the non-Russian modules, including the PMA's, there is a berthing mechanism on every module, so that the arms can grab and manipulate them. Here are some examples:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Alpha_Magnetic_Spectrometer_-_02.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Mplm_in_shuttle.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/STS-124_Kibo.jpg

Do you see those small circular bits with antenna-like protrusions? Those are the berthing mechanisms for the robotic arms. I think it would be easier on the whole to create those as a "place anywhere" part as docking nodes, and then the same can be done with the robotic arm heads, allowing for a more stable capture. Of course this would mean a lot of extra work, but building stations isn't supposed to be easy, and especially not the ISS.

Also, though this may be a bit out of reach, the Canadarm is detachable from both sides, allowing it to be docked with any berthing mechanism on either side. Of course the only way for this to work is by allowing a kerbal to "grab" the piece and carry it to another position, which I believe is entirely possible(since I'm not a coder, this is just a guess). Being able to detach and move the Canadarm would make running a space station more enjoyable.

Another suggestion would be to add the Mobile Transport System, though this one is probably more out of reach than the other one. The Mobile Transport system allows the Mobile Base System(with an attachment for the Canadarm) to move across the trusses. Since the trusses are separate pieces this is probably completely out of the question, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

And last but not least, a special mounting piece for the S0 truss should be made. The S0 truss isn't mounted on Unity's Zenith port, but rather on top of the Destiny module and secured via MTS(Module to Truss Structure) struts. It's not actually "docked" to the ISS, but docking is the only way to attach these together. Perhaps create the S0 with the struts already on it, and then they attach to an invisible docking node on Destiny's Zenith. Here is a reference in case someone doesn't believe me:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/ISS_Mobile_Transporter_railway_system.jpg

I've been thinking about using Infernal Robotics and KAS to create a new version of CANADARM2+MBS, but a modeler would be needed for that. I thought about doing the MBS as a "gantry rail" type part with animated, extending rails on both sides. They'd extend over S1/P1 trusses and could be deployed after they're installed.

I've been thinking about using Infernal Robotics and KAS to create a new version of CANADARM2+MBS, but a modeler would be needed for that. I thought about doing the MBS as a "gantry rail" type part with animated, extending rails on both sides. They'd extend over S1/P1 trusses and could be deployed after they're installed.

That sounds easily doable. Also, I'm an experienced modeler myself, so I could create any models if needed, though when it comes to any technical help and I'm completely useless. As for the gantry rail, I used to use that, and I thought it was a fantastic idea, but the ones in Infernal Robotics didn't extend far enough.

Also, I know this belongs in the historical spacecraft thread, but I think a more form-fitting payload shroud should be created for the Proton-K. The Russians created it to save on weight.

You can use Procedural Fairings, I'll probably end up providing a rescaled base to go with the Proton. And it'd be great if you could model CANADARM2 and MBS elements with proper scale. They should use KAS attachment plugs as effectors. I think we could include the PDG fixtures, too, I'll need to take a look at KAS attachment ports in order to make them work.

You can use Procedural Fairings, I'll probably end up providing a rescaled base to go with the Proton. And it'd be great if you could model CANADARM2 and MBS elements with proper scale. They should use KAS attachment plugs as effectors. I think we could include the PDG fixtures, too, I'll need to take a look at KAS attachment ports in order to make them work.

But you can't customize procedural fairings can you? Also, I don't know how to do the KAS stuff, any Unity configurations are beyond me. I would be happy to have a go at modeling the Canadarm, but I don't have much free time this week, so it's likely I'll finish it anytime soon.

What do you mean? I've already used them (specifically, KOSMOS version based on Proton fairings) and it worked quite well. The fairing base can be resized in the config.

I just thought of something. Even if we make a new Canadarm, it will still have the same problems that romfarer's do. KSP physics don't account for RPM, so any non-linear movement causes the spacecraft to turn. It's really quite problematic. We all know that ~3RPM couldn't move a 70t spacecraft or a 450t space station.

I just thought of something. Even if we make a new Canadarm, it will still have the same problems that romfarer's do. KSP physics don't account for RPM, so any non-linear movement causes the spacecraft to turn. It's really quite problematic. We all know that ~3RPM couldn't move a 70t spacecraft or a 450t space station.

Or, we could make a plugin that stops the physics of whatever object is being grabbed, like when you do time acceleration.

Romfarer's CANADARM2 is manageable. Maybe we don't even need to ditch it, just scale it down for the time being. First, I'd like to get a working MBS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.