[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Frizzank, you're just FAST. By the way, do you think you could do a video tutorial on running a part through Unity? I've made a few models and textures, but I just can't make unity work, even when I follow the picture tutorials. You also seem like you've got a lot of experience in that field, which is why I ask you.

Yes I could but that would mean more parts on your rocket, Im trying to keep part count as low as possible. But I may not have a choice. Im considering cutting the docking section into 3 parts so it would have a retro/decoupler stage, a cargo stage and then the extendible docking port all as separate pieces.

retro rockets are nice but kinda useless if you cant use them for maneuvering would you be willing to keep it the way it is but add a few rockets to the back

I know. I also know that Realscale Gemini has them completely wrong. IRL, they're pointed forward and mounted under those two small panels you can see on the retro module. I want them to actually pop up from under those and have effect et al in the right place.

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem, but anytime i attach a launch clamp to a FASA part, at launch when physics kicks in, it just falls off.

Only seems to happen with the FASA parts on the ship.

I've never had this problem personally. How many and what other mods do you have installed? Not sure if there could be culprit there, or perhaps KSP is being it's unoptimized self, or alternatively, you might just need to re-download FASA.

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem, but anytime i attach a launch clamp to a FASA part, at launch when physics kicks in, it just falls off.

Only seems to happen with the FASA parts on the ship.

Im going to side with deltac on this one, you may need to redownload. Is the rocket sticking in the ground when you load?

I know. I also know that Realscale Gemini has them completely wrong. IRL, they're pointed forward and mounted under those two small panels you can see on the retro module. I want them to actually pop up from under those and have effect et al in the right place.

i'm pretty sure thats wrong the gemini were under the equitment section whitch was detaced before fireing themgemini.gif

The old ones were re-skins of the original parts, all parts in FASA are now created by me. I did the Nova Punch decouplers at the same time I re-did the FASA ones so technically they are mine but that just arguing semantics. The new ones look and work better.

Kerbin is the wrong size, gravity is too strong and atmospheric conditions are not calculated correctly compared to Earth. So with that in mind I just did what felt right and not input the exact values for mass and thrust. Also it's filled with little yellow men.

There is the realism mod you should check out where they are tuning everything to the correct values, including my mod.

Edited by frizzank

Thanks for the reply, I just thought the engine was a little underpowered and the isp values where a little out. Thanks for explaining why they are set that way and I will check out the realism mod or go searching for it, punctuation isnt my strong point especially when i am rushing out the door to work.

Virtual: Remember, the Redstone IRBM was NOT the booster used for the orbital Mercury missions. According to Encyclopedia Astronautica, the Mercury-Redstone combination generally acheived an apogee of 220km and a downrange distance at splashdown of 380 km, with a speed at burnout of 6800 m/s. (The longest-range flight of it I can find is Grissom's MR-4, aka Liberty Bell 7, which hit 190.3 km apogee and 487 km downrange splashdown.) It gives a total thrust of 357kN and a launch mass of 28,400 kg, which equates to a TWR (and acceleration off the pad in Gs) of 1.32, pretty damned close to the FASA MR. (Note that going by typical scaling laws for Kerbin, those altitude and range performance figures would equate to typical numbers of 55km apoapsis and 95 km downrange and burnout speed of 1700 m/s, with Grissom's flight equating to 47,475 m apoapsis and 121.75 km downrange.)

Mercury orbital flights were flown on the much larger and heavier Atlas ICBM, which Frizz is going to develop in Stage 4 of the project.

Edited by rdfox

Yeah, if Redstone would be capable of making orbit, that'd make it an SSTO. It was a rather primitive rocket, barely more advanced than V2. Atlas was the one that orbited Mercury.

Excellent work with this high quality modpack frizzank. This mod is one of my must haves when playing this game - Thank You!

Some observations with the latest version:

-Can't see out of Big G's crew compartment windows in IVA. The reflection is so high I just see solid white/grey all the time. I saw an old WIP pic in this thread where the windows had much better visibility.

-The integrated footwells?/ladders on the Big G docking bay do not function at all. I remember seeing and old post of yours with them working.

Yes the ladders got messed up when I was trying to fix the docking orientation bug. I will fix it in the next update I do.

I was also thinking of adding footwells to the Gemini engine and decent parts? It's not realistic, but it does make things easier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.