[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I didn't get to work on them as much as I would have liked but before the weekend is out I will put out a test build. Even if they are not textured you will be able to at least test the configuration of them and tell me what you think.

The F1 is big but just small enough to fit on 2m rockets. I went for a bit more detail than usual on the model side, and will beef out the texture a little more on this one.

Also plan to put some love into the Stage 2 part with the 5 J2's, just cause it looks so cool

Yes, I know they were covered with insulation at launch, but do you really want to stare at insulation instead of this awesome looking engine?

Y57W2Bf.jpg

1sPyazm.jpg

gUzWKqS.jpg

1vmsV7b.jpg

IGhOdEW.jpg

No offense, but it looks a bit... small. What's that, 5m? It just doesn't look big enough. And don't get me started on rescaling, since then, the adapters won't fit.

Compare this:

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/apollo_07_15/a13_C69PC442.jpg

To your Saturn V. Not only is it much more massive compared to the CSM, but the most glaring difference is the slope angle on the SIVB/S-II interstage. Also, just look at this CSM. It wasn't as bad on Saturn I, but here, it make the whole thing look much smaller than it should look.

Edited by Guest

No offense, but it looks a bit... small. What's that, 5m? It just doesn't look big enough. And don't get me started on rescaling, since then, the adapters won't fit.

Compare this:

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/apollo_07_15/a13_C69PC442.jpg

To your Saturn V. Not only is it much more massive compared to the CSM, but the most glaring difference is the slope angle on the SIVB/S-II interstage. Also, just look at this CSM. It wasn't as bad on Saturn I, but here, it make the whole thing look much smaller than it should look.

Dragon... we already had this conversation. You're not getting your model rocket. Stop asking for realism.

Compare this:

Kerbals are smaller than humans. Of course it's not going to be a 10m rocket. That would be absurd. My Saturn V (cobbled together from various mods) was 5m and it was just about perfect.

Dragon... we already had this conversation. You're not getting your model rocket. Stop asking for realism.

Frizzank could still make it 6.25m. That would be in line with the standard step size, it would still be useful for combining with normal parts, and it would be damn close to the 64% rescale of 6.4m. That means all of the things that Frizzank is going for - fun, compatibility and realism - would be satisfied. Of course, it's still Frizzank's decision.

EDIT: @woot: I once made a 5m Saturn V, and when I compared it to the real thing, it looked off. Not on the height, but the width was way off.

Well, I'm not going to stop, and certainly not because of you telling me to. Saturn V is something I literally grew up admiring, a mighty rocket that put man on the Moon. A Titan IIIM missing a booster segment is not a big deal. What's supposed to be Saturn V looking more like a slimmed-down Saturn C-3 is not, because it's not doing this amazing vehicle justice. I can have this dinky thing as Saturn III, sure, but for a proper Saturn V, the S-IC and S-II should be 6.25m. Even if only because we have nearly identical parts in 5m already, in NovaPunch. F-1 looks properly scaled, everything else is literally the exact same stuff we already have in NP, and I see no point in making it 5m, other than perhaps making the Saturn C-3 (which would require the original S-IV anyway).

Well, I'm not going to stop, and certainly not because of you telling me to. Saturn V is something I literally grew up admiring, a mighty rocket that put man on the Moon. A Titan IIIM missing a booster segment is not a big deal. What's supposed to be Saturn V looking more like a slimmed-down Saturn C-3 is not, because it's not doing this amazing vehicle justice. I can have this dinky thing as Saturn III, sure, but for a proper Saturn V, the S-IC and S-II should be 6.25m. Even if only because we have nearly identical parts in 5m already, in NovaPunch. F-1 looks properly scaled, everything else is literally the exact same stuff we already have in NP, and I see no point in making it 5m, other than perhaps making the Saturn C-3 (which would require the original S-IV anyway).

While I will insist that it's silly to whine about this to Frizzank as if his representation will be canonical when he has already stated his intentions repeatedly, I can agree that I would get a lot more use out of 6.25m parts than 5m parts, since we already have pretty good facsimiles of Saturn V stuff in 5m scale.

Dragon, If it looks funny to you instead of begging, complaining, and being an a** about it Learn how to resize parts and then you can make it as wide, and tall as you feel is right. Your constant bickering aboot how YOU feel it should be is not warranted here. Though I can not blame you for trying the A-10 Warthog is my baby and i would most likely complain about a poorly done miss sized model for it also.

The sizing on the rocket is fine 5m, 6.25m, doesn't matter. The only tweak I could see is making the interstage between 2 and 3 shorter so the slope is sharper. The other interstage is fine, as is the capsule to rocket ratio.

Everything in FASA has been awesome, so I wouldn't be worried.

5m is redundant. We've got NovaPunch for that. The engine cluster, the tanks, decouplers, everything. For a Saturn III I could use NovaPunch parts, and they would probably be fine in that role. FASA parts could be bigger, to go with how big Saturn V is supposed to be. I really liked 6.25m parts in NP and was very disappointed when they got downscaled.

Learn how to resize parts and then you can make it as wide, and tall as you feel is right.

Well, except that doesn't work. And you know why? Because you cannot change the shape of a model just by resizing. If I made the S-II/S-IVB adapter the correct size, there would be a gap between it and and S-IV. It's impossible to make this work without remaking the model. If it was as easy as you seem to think, I'd just release an MM config to make a proper Saturn V. Learn how to resize parts first, learn where this method has it's limits, and then you can other people to do that.

Except the NP parts are not designed to look like Saturn replicas, only FUNCTION like saturn replicas (very very loosely)

Have you even FASA'd before? Saying 'use NP parts' makes no sense. FASA replicas are much more high-fidelity than the more generic parts in NP. By design.

Also, to redouble what someone else said earlier, you're being rather rude about it. That is no way to convince anyone to do anything for you.

Dragon if you are really this annoyed about it go get the world space mod from Lovad, its got a Saturn V and its from what I can see in the realistic proportions. However its not very compatible with stock parts, due to it not being in 64% scale.

Have you seen Lovad's Saturn V? It's big enough, but it's a mess, and Lovad refuses to fix the issues it has. It's got it's engines fused to it's hull, for starters (meaning no realistic flight profile, nor roll control), same with it's fins (goodbye, FAR), no retrorockets of any kind (has nobody noticed how badass they look?) and so on. I've given up on this one.

You could always commission your own Saturn V project Dragon collect some people who would be interested in helping you put it together

That's what I might end up doing, a proper Saturn V dependent on FASA. Since the CSM and LM look good, tanks can be rescaled with a config edit, engines are fine, so it's a matter of making decoupler, some separation motors, and a new engine mount with proper retromotos built in (which Frizzank isn't gonna do, either. I already bugged him about this before), and properly scaled LM fairings. The rest is config files (either MM or just referencing FASA), which I do well. In case anyone's interested, I've got a whole bunch of references for those parts already.

Also, to redouble what someone else said earlier, you're being rather rude about it. That is no way to convince anyone to do anything for you.

I've been talking about it earlier, in many ways, and was ignored. What Frizzank calls "Saturn V" is a dinky thing more suited for C-3. And I just can't stand this being done to the greatest rocket in history of mankind. I spent my childhood wanting to be like Armstrong and Aldrin, so you can see why having a good Saturn V is rather important to me.

Alright, I can't find the source right now, but I'm quite sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that frizzank said that he was willing to do re-scaled adapters, so that they would fit if we were to rescale the S-IC to either 6.4m or 6.25m. If frizzank actually said that, and I'm not just misremembering, this whole discussion is pointless. And yes, you are beng very rude, Dragon.

Well, I don't remember him saying anything like that. He did provide some source models to NathanKell, for the purposes of realism overhaul. But I haven't seen anything playable come out of that.

The S-II/S-IVB interstage looks a bit odd, I hope it's not definitive. I think it's because the S-IC and S-II should be larger.

Are you going to make the S-II/S-IVB interstage and the S-II stage in one piece, like the real Saturn V ? And I want you to know that you're one of the best mod creator and that I love your creations (and Denny too) since the beginning!

Well, I don't remember him saying anything like that. He did provide some source models to NathanKell, for the purposes of realism overhaul. But I haven't seen anything playable come out of that.

If you want a nice Saturn V model by all means download Lovads incomplete Saturn V. Its a really good scale and pretty well detailed. Do earth orbit rendezvous with Friz's LEM and let that be the end. He has been showing us his progress. He has not responded because none of us know exactly what he is doing. Finally have you seen the **** this guy is doing? Mercury through Gemini and all the stuff in between! I dont care about the scale being completely accurate and neither should you. Remember Kerbin isnt earth so he doesn't need to make the rocket the same size as the Saturn V. You could probably get to Jool and back with a full scale Saturn V. He is making accurate to the scale of the Kerbol system and from Kerbin to the Mun. All I care about is that is doesn't look like stock parts, closely resembles the saturn v and gets me to the mun and back. And that I can use the parts to make wicked rockets of my own. Also just be a little more diplomatic. This guy doesnt have share any of this especially for free. So let him do what he does best and give him time. I mean look at what he has done already. There are very few other modders on here that are doing what this guy is doing and at the pace.

Edited by sp1989

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.