[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

BETA - This is a test for Saturn V, parts are unfinished but do function. It is a feature test while I work on the art you can tell me if you like how it flies.

Download\/

http://www./download/v4ie5i8kwbjrgcj/FASA4.00.zip

4.00 Added Saturn V rocket parts,
F1 LFE
F1 5x engine plate
F1 Engine fairings
5m Large fuel tank
5m Medium fuel tank
J2 5x engine plate
3.75m to 5m decoupler
5m Decoupler
Adjusted the attach nodes on the umbilical towers to be more centred and closer to the rocket.
Turned down Gimble on SRB's
Made H1 Gimble be the engine nozzle and not the thrust transform like its suppose to.
Turned down the drag on all the parachutes made them deploy slower.
Fixed stack symmetry on s1b plate, gave it some fuel and moved it to propulsion with the other plates.

Not a bug report but an inquiry.

Is the first stage supposed to cut off at 8-9k? Or are we supposed to be able to get to 10k before it cuts out? I'm launching a simple .625m probe stacked on top of three on the tiny Oscar - B fuel tanks with a small stack mounted probe engine.

Dragon... we already had this conversation. You're not getting your model rocket. Stop asking for realism.

Yeah, simply go make/mod it for your own taste if you don't like this.

Dragon... we already had this conversation. You're not getting your model rocket. Stop asking for realism.
Well, I'm not going to stop, and certainly not because of you telling me to. Saturn V is something I literally grew up admiring, a mighty rocket that put man on the Moon. A Titan IIIM missing a booster segment is not a big deal. What's supposed to be Saturn V looking more like a slimmed-down Saturn C-3 is not, because it's not doing this amazing vehicle justice. I can have this dinky thing as Saturn III, sure, but for a proper Saturn V, the S-IC and S-II should be 6.25m. Even if only because we have nearly identical parts in 5m already, in NovaPunch. F-1 looks properly scaled, everything else is literally the exact same stuff we already have in NP, and I see no point in making it 5m, other than perhaps making the Saturn C-3 (which would require the original S-IV anyway).

Then start your own thread some where else and stop trashing this thread with your annoying whining.

such butthurt. very realism. wowe.

Frizzank has his own idea and design concept for his Saturn 5. To shove your realism ideals onto him is pretty rude. I think everyone in this thread already knows how much of a fanboy you are of the Saturn 5, and that's fine and dandy. But if Frizzank doesn't want to make it the way you want it to be, then so be it. I am pretty sure most of us here are happy with the current Saturn 5 as far as size goes. Even then, it doesnt matter does it? because its Frizzank's mod. Its what he wants. we simply give him suggestions for improvement, and even then he has no obligations to follow any of the suggestions.

So do yourself a favour and go create your own thread about your REAL Saturn 5 and stop annoying the hell out of everyone here.

back on topic.

Frizzank, are you gonna be using the new particle effects for your engines? I think the new NASA part's engines have pretty nice emissions that you can prolly just use for the Saturn 5 :D

Bah, forget FASA and it's game-y imitation of my favorite rocket. DennyTX seems to be making his own version, and this will be what I'm looking for. High-quality, high-detail, REAL Saturn V. And even if he stops at S-IVB lower decoupler, he already made all the parts that made rescaling the thing to proper size a problem. He surely seems to like intricate detail more than Frizzank, and his models are better (if heavier), too.

I'll probably come back when there's a Centaur WIP, but for Apollo, I'd rather use OLDD.

Old enough to have grown up admiring Saturn V, wanting to be like Armstrong and Aldrin and dreaming of walking on the Moon. And young enough to be frustrated when someone fumbles the best shot I had at flying the mission I dreamed of since I learned to read. The rest of the calculation is trivial, so I'll leave it to you. :)

Frizzank, are you gonna be using the new particle effects for your engines? I think the new NASA part's engines have pretty nice emissions that you can prolly just use for the Saturn 5 :D

I use the hot rockets plugin by Nazari. I will make a FASA config and try out the new engines when I get a chance. I love the effect but this isn't a mod for potato laptops :P

Old enough to have grown up admiring Saturn V, wanting to be like Armstrong and Aldrin and dreaming of walking on the Moon. And young enough to be frustrated when someone fumbles the best shot I had at flying the mission I dreamed of since I learned to read. The rest of the calculation is trivial, so I'll leave it to you. :)

If you're old enough to have seen the moon landings growing up, you should possess the maturity to not pull this kind of crybaby bull****. "Oh no, a stranger is putting his time and energy into creating something, and then sharing it with everyone else, but it's not quite exactly what I imagined it should be." Frizzank doesn't owe you anything.

Frizzank Aeronautical Space Administration presents - Gemini & Mercury.

These are Kerbal versions of NASA rockets, not NASA replicas. Replicas are not the direction I want to go with FASA. I want to keep it fun, simple, easy, and have it be a somewhat stock like in appearance.

First line in the O/P by the boss of FASA. I think we are ALL very tired of this dragon... For the love of green men in computer spaceships please stop!

Okay, I tried out the new Saturn V parts. As far as I can tell they work as they should. I can get a historical configuration into a 100km parking orbit without too much trouble. While I did not have trouble with wobbly rockets, it might be wise to redo all the stack node sizes for all FASA's parts that are larger than 2.5m, because with the ARM patch you now have a stack node with size 3. All the 3.75m and larger parts that I looked at in the FASA folder had stack node size 2.

The Saturn V flew great for me. I do wonder about the 1st stage engine configuration, since 6125kN in a 53.5t engine will make this an undesirable choice in other designs. The overall TWR for the 1st stage of this rocket is actually pretty high at 2.3 -- it's almost like the CSM/LM is too light.

But I can tweak that stuff myself if I feel compelled. Overall, things are looking pretty good. Frizzank, will be you incorporating Denny's S-IVb models into FASA like you did with the LM? It wasn't clear if his latest update represents a fork.

You really nailed the opening of the SLA panels; that was cool.

Thanks for all your efforts on this.

Do stack nodes effect attachment strength now. Before, all it affected was the snap distance in the VAB. Joint strength was determined by mass before.

Looking at the numbers I do need to increase the mass for the new parts including the S1 B parts.

The F1 was the most powerful engine mankind has ever built, it should feel beefy.

What is a good TWR for the F1? Want to get the engine feeling right for kerbal.

Edited by frizzank

Do stack nodes effect attachment strength now. Before, all it affected was the snap distance in the VAB. Joint strength was determined by mass before.

Looking at the numbers I do need to increase the mass for the new parts including the S1 B parts.

The F1 was the most powerful engine mankind has ever built, it should feel beefy.

What is a good TWR for the F1? Want to get the engine feeling right for kerbal.

My understanding as that stack nodes largely determine joint strength now, up to a max of 3 for 3.75m parts. The NovaPunch version of the F1 stage does 10,000 kN and weighs 30t (was 40t forever, but was recently adjusted in response to the new NASA engines). Hakari's F1 engine weighs 8.4t and does 6773kN, but I'm pretty sure that's not been kerbalized at all, as that's very overpowered for a single engine. His model and textures are just about perfect though if you want to take a look.

wait what? I suspect you have not been around on the forum much since the release of .23.5. I'll summarize for you: The size of the nodes determines how strong the joints will be. There are 4 sizes: 0, 1, 2, 3. 3 is best option for 3.75 and 5 meter parts. Winged spiders are a nightmare's nightmare.

Is it possible for engines to be more efficient in atmosphere than in a vacuum? I would like to use that balancing feature for the F1 as well..

No, unless the engine blows off it's nozzle when in vacuum, which no one does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.