LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

Yep, I'll busy for the foreseeable future. I may make a few little things here and there for fun, but I simply don't have the time for anything major. I'm going to have to rely on you guys to 'crowd-source' things like bug fixes, rebalances etc. You've all been great with that sort of thing in the past. If anyone else fancies making anything like new parts then just post them up here, I'll swing by occasionally and update the first post with links and the likes.

Having said that, I did take a few minutes to re-do the first post with some install instructions since a number of people have being having problems with that.

The '0.10.5' update is basically just plonking the salvage pod in the main DL, I also made a wee little cargo crate for people to add resources to (for life support, etc) [see below, not my best ever landing that]

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I also made a habitation ring using the MODEL{} function to weld together the stock structural fuselages a few weeks ago. It doesn't rotate or anything fancy, but I figured it may be useful to someone and it cuts down on the part count.

tlPPJ2H.png

http://www./download/wmkw5w950ajg544/StockRingHabitat.zip

Yep, I'll busy for the foreseeable future. I may make a few little things here and there for fun, but I simply don't have the time for anything major. I'm going to have to rely on you guys to 'crowd-source' things like bug fixes, rebalances etc. You've all been great with that sort of thing in the past. If anyone else fancies making anything like new parts then just post them up here, I'll swing by occasionally and update the first post with links and the likes.

If you've got dropbox or the like, could you put the .blend files of existing parts up there? I really would rather look at how it was done there, rather than bungle my way to a finished part from scratch.

If you've got dropbox or the like, could you put the .blend files of existing parts up there? I really would rather look at how it was done there, rather than bungle my way to a finished part from scratch.

Probably best to just send me a list of the models you're interested in and I'll send on the relevant bits, as that section comes to about a 1 GB, the Unity side being another 3 or so.

I saw a thread recently with some great insect style designs, ended up making this.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It works for me, and it's the same parts as in the download on the first page of this thread.

It's great to see it finally up on SpacePort, but odd on first seeing it sitting there in the middle of everything else like nothing special, instead of one of the best things in Kerbal.

koEpLZk.jpg

yj2NR9o.jpg

(Using trusses to the docking ports for attaching first and second stage rockets, along with quantum struts, is my solution for lifting a long spaceship, and leaving it clean after separation.)

Edited by WhatsThisButtonDo

Yeah it's mine. What's broken about it?

I've had some funny issues with actually clicking on the link, I need to hover over it for some reason and then click the link in the pop-up, but it is there (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/lacklusterlabs/).

I noticed the problem too. When you try to click on the thumbnail or the printed name below the picture on the front page of Spaceport, the front page just reloads.

I noticed the problem too. When you try to click on the thumbnail or the printed name below the picture on the front page of Spaceport, the front page just reloads.

I see what you mean. I got to the LLL download by holding the cursor over the picture and then clicking on the title in the window that pops up.

There's a bug with the 2x1 Kethane Converter. Maybe a new Kethane version? I'm using Kethane 0.7.7.

In \LLL\Parts\Command\LLL2x1ASAS\kethane.cfg the MODULE sections need to be updated to (using values from Kethane's 1m converter):

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
LiquidFuel = 0.97
}
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
Oxidizer = 1.01
}
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 1.5
ElectricCharge = 8
}
OutputRatios
{
MonoPropellant = 0.3
}
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 1.5
ElectricCharge = 3
}
OutputRatios
{
XenonGas = 0.4
}
}

Also, there was a curly brace missing at the end closing the PART section.

There's a bug with the 2x1 Kethane Converter. Maybe a new Kethane version? I'm using Kethane 0.7.7.

In \LLL\Parts\Command\LLL2x1ASAS\kethane.cfg the MODULE sections need to be updated to (using values from Kethane's 1m converter):

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
LiquidFuel = 0.97
}
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
Oxidizer = 1.01
}
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 1.5
ElectricCharge = 8
}
OutputRatios
{
MonoPropellant = 0.3
}
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 1.5
ElectricCharge = 3
}
OutputRatios
{
XenonGas = 0.4
}
}

Also, there was a curly brace missing at the end closing the PART section.

Thanks, I hadn't spotted that (Hadn't used Kethane much recently), I think the old .cfg values were from the 0.6.6 edition. That's been fixed and the main DL updated, also added the missing ASAS to the 2x1 probe core.

When you're going to tech tree this mod, I think some of the tanks should be unlocked at the same times as the equivalent stock tanks. However, the nuclear engines are slightly overpowered compared to stock, so it would be great if they could be unlocked after the stock nukes. Also, the Salvage Pod has a ridiculously low ÃŽâ€V. What is the purpose of that thing even?

... the Salvage Pod has a ridiculously low ÃŽâ€V. What is the purpose of that thing even?

Station construction vehicle/tug. When I make them myself, they have nothing but RCS -- the LLL salvage pod actually has a huge delta-V in comparison.

When you're going to tech tree this mod, I think some of the tanks should be unlocked at the same times as the equivalent stock tanks. However, the nuclear engines are slightly overpowered compared to stock, so it would be great if they could be unlocked after the stock nukes. Also, the Salvage Pod has a ridiculously low ÃŽâ€V. What is the purpose of that thing even?

As a rule of thumb, I've placed parts a tier up from, although a fair few are at the same tier as, their stock equivalents (and with the first 4 tiers essentially untouched). I'd decided against putting the lll nuclear engines with the stock one as well, so they currently unlock at Experimental Rocketry (as do the 4x2 parts).

As for the Salvage tug, Gaius is right, it's designed primarily for construction and retrieval, with the occasional crew transfer/rescue. I intended it to operate from a station or mother-ship, rather than prolonged operations, as conditions are just a wee bit cramped in there. If I recall correctly the ÃŽâ€V is ≃ 500 ms-1, which is adequate for basic orbital manoeuvres and intercepts (and the actual tanks on the side are balanced to stock volumes).

Edited by Lack

so, does this acyualy work with 0.22 sandbox, or not. I just need to know as I want to update my ksp and I am checking if all of my mods will be fine

It works fine with the sandbox in 0.22 (at least I haven't noticed any problems). I've got the career tech-tree integration (almost) done on my end, so I'll get that uploaded when I have the time (there's still a few things that need shuffling around).

Lack I gotta say, when I first saw this mod I was wondering when in the heck am I going to use square parts? Today I am so glad I have this pack most of my VTOL planes are your parts. Now most of my munar landers and interplanetary mother ships are made from your parts! Thanks for the great mod pack!

(P.S. can you rename the warthog the boar? It doesn't seem as HALOish as well it fits the part, the name Sow also works.)

(P.S.S. A sow is a female pig that has had one or more litters of piglets)

Personally I absolutely love the salvage tug, may I make a sugestion though?

What about a variant of the tug with no crew, having ditched the crew for for automation even more fuel/delta v?

Trade a bit of versatility for even more push?

I installed this mod in 0.22 with Aviation Lights, B9, Editor Extensions, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Hullcam and Universe Replacer and my game crashed almost exactly every third launch (from SPH or VAB, it didn't matter). I know it's because of LLL because I uninstalled LLL (since I know this is an in-development mod and it has a fair few bugs) and the crashes stopped. Just thought I'd inform you so you can figure out why this happens. What do you suggest? Should I go back to an old version (since this is a parts-only mod and I don't use these parts in career mode)? Thanks Lack.

The one part thats missing from this set is an RCS thruster block done in the LLL style. It looks a bit odd to me to have these sleek LLL spacecraft with conventional RCS blocks interupting the smooth lines.

They still stick out, but I really like how the TKS quads from KOSMOS look on LLL builds. Granted they still break body lines, but to me dont take away from the look like the stock quads do.

Of course if Lack made some Id probably use those =P

@Liam: based on the mods you have listed I would guess your crashes are due to memory usage, and not LLL persay. KSP is currently a 32bit program, and will only be able to use around 3.5gb of system memory before it goes pear-shaped.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.