LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

I've heard some people experiencing weirdness with KJR installed now that the main part of the pack is stock anyway, things like spontaneous dis-assembly. I'm guessing the newest patch for it has fixed that, but there's not the same urgency to have it installed.

I've launched the odd 4x2 without problem, the N-1 makes an excellent launch stage for it. Mind you, I never had that many problems before and happily launched things like gigantic 4x4 freighters.

b4ccASQ.png

N8RXYBH.png

Does anyone have any pictures of some of the more 'interesting' CCCP/RF designs and proposals?

Edited by Lack

I've heard some people experiencing weirdness with KJR installed now that the main part of the pack is stock anyway, things like spontaneous dis-assembly. I'm guessing the newest patch for it has fixed that, but there's not the same urgency to have it installed.

I've launched the odd 4x2 without problem, the N-1 makes an excellent launch stage for it. Mind you, I never had that many problems before and happily launched things like gigantic 4x4 freighters.

http://i.imgur.com/b4ccASQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/N8RXYBH.png

Does anyone have any pictures of some of the more 'interesting' CCCP/RF designs and proposals?

ok before you do that lack fix the god damn science moduel you put in to replace the materials lab... you can't take data out of it (i think it's sharing the same area of "yes you can take it out now" as the stock materials bay because if i put a kerbal on the side it doesn't come up with the prompt to remove the data but if i have a kerbal right below it it does)

name of part (in VAB): "2.5m SC-10k science senior"

ok before you do that lack fix the god damn science moduel you put in to replace the materials lab... you can't take data out of it (i think it's sharing the same area of "yes you can take it out now" as the stock materials bay because if i put a kerbal on the side it doesn't come up with the prompt to remove the data but if i have a kerbal right below it it does)

name of part (in VAB): "2.5m SC-10k science senior"

Okay, cool your jets. It doesn't replace the materials bay, they have different names. I wasn't aware that Squad had changed the config code, I'll have a look into it.

Edit: The CFG code is identical to the stock material bay.

Edited by Lack

I have been extensivly testing the beta version, and so far I have had pretty descent luck with it. I launched this without the cargo, I had to brighten it as I was in a Munar Eclipse at the time so that the vessel is easier to see. I used the 2x1 doubles and stacked them like bricks to add strength to the engine pods, but it launched from ksp.

That said I have not attempted to launch a 4x2 yet, just build rovers so far and they are interesting, and neat looking. But no real stress test yet.

http://i.imgur.com/3c3yNKG.jpg?1

The hell is up with this picture...

The hell is up with this picture...

Brightness/levels altered. Quite a lot, but you can just about see what's going on.

I'm testing to see if rotating the 2.5m materials bay -90 degrees (to match the rotation of the stock 1.25m one) and increasing the interaction range helps.

Brightness/levels altered. Quite a lot, but you can just about see what's going on.

I'm testing to see if rotating the 2.5m materials bay -90 degrees (to match the rotation of the stock 1.25m one) and increasing the interaction range helps.

Yeah, I always wondered why its' door is to the side at its' default orientation...

Yeah, I always wondered why its' door is to the side at its' default orientation...

That'd be because I neither checked, nor noticed.

Edit: This seems to work. Problems seems to be the unchanged interaction-range, 1.2m isn't great for a 2.5m part. Although I wasn't aware you could collect data like that.

SXT/Parts/Hull/ServiceMod1/smallScience.cfg

http://pastebin.com/uUaNLAUA

Edited by Lack

Is it me or K1-8 and KX-16 engines have wrong sizes? K1-8 should be smaller than KX-16, not vice versa.

EDIT: Also, there is two KX200-32 fuel tanks (the bigger one should be KX200-64, I suppose)

Edited by biohazard15

Is it me or K1-8 and KX-16 engines have wrong sizes? K1-8 should be smaller than KX-16, not vice versa.

The K1-8 is based off the second Block B of the N-1. That is it's a cluster of 8 'NK15-V'-like engines.

The 'KX' I made ages back, and didn't want to depreciate it. So I just marked as being a cluster of NK-10-P engines in the description, which I admittadly just made up. The KX-16 part shouldn't be in the title, I thought I'd changed it to just KX and put in a note about it being a proto-type.

The K1-8 is based off the second Block B of the N-1. That is it's a cluster of 8 'NK15-V'-like engines.

The 'KX' I made ages back, and didn't want to depreciate it. So I just marked as being a cluster of NK-10-P engines in the description, which I admittadly just made up. The KX-16 part shouldn't be in the title, I thought I'd changed it to just KX and put in a note about it being a proto-type.

Oh, now I got it :) Sorry, I was just confused.

BTW, do you plan to make grid fins for Tsar A?

Oh, now I got it :) Sorry, I was just confused.

BTW, do you plan to make grid fins for Tsar A?

It's alright, it's not as clear to me in the clear light of day as it was last night. So I can see the confusion.

Not sure yet, I always thought they looked a bit silly. There was another mod that added them, I'll see if I can find it and have a look how they've done it.

Although, speaking of silly.

xYEhOBW.png

I probably shouldn't be allowed near rockets.

Edit: Yep, definitely not.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Lack

Okay, cool your jets. It doesn't replace the materials bay, they have different names. I wasn't aware that Squad had changed the config code, I'll have a look into it.

Edit: The CFG code is identical to the stock material bay.

And that's EXACTLY what causes it to break. The interaction distance is too low - it works with the small science junior, but with your senior, the part origin is too far away. change it to 2 or something.

I've forgot to install the KJR, but I've noticed that the 4x2 was still a little floppy when your attempting to make a spaceplane. Or was it the 4x4? gha i can remember. Also has Squad enabled were more than one node on a part can join to for a joint. I noticed that you have a part that had a top, bottom and a center nod for connection I think it was a 4x4 piece and i wanted to join the 4x2 bay thingy with a 4x2 tank underneath it.

And that's EXACTLY what causes it to break. The interaction distance is too low - it works with the small science junior, but with your senior, the part origin is too far away. change it to 2 or something.

Already fixed.

That'd be because I neither checked, nor noticed.

Edit: This seems to work. Problems seems to be the unchanged interaction-range, 1.2m isn't great for a 2.5m part. Although I wasn't aware you could collect data like that.

SXT/Parts/Hull/ServiceMod1/smallScience.cfg

http://pastebin.com/uUaNLAUA

ok now that I was in the game I can clarify a little more of the trouble I had. I say had as it vanished when I loaded it back up and fiddle with it.

The pieces in question is the 2 (2x1) stacked fuel tanks and joining them with separate pieces of 2x1 tank, and 2x1 cargo hold. I did remove the upper section of the cargo holds and then remove the lower section and connected just the lower section first and added in the upper half. I think that fixed it as i may have added in the upper cargo section before the lower fuel tank one. But I am not sure that the lower 2 (2x1) piece is making a joint at the upper section.

Here is a few pics of the craft that i'm attempting to make.

Pic1_zpse9da104f.png

pic2_zps2425bcb5.png

This craft takes off from the runway, under pure power of the engines points upwards thanks to the 7 degree gimble of the Thrustmax 200's by dtobi and rockets into space. Its a tricky way to do it but I was unable to find a set of wings that looks good with my design. And my VTOL attempts crashed horribly rolling or flipping over. Been having trouble running out of fuel just as it starts to circlize so making it carry a little fuel is in the plans.

ok now that I was in the game I can clarify a little more of the trouble I had. I say had as it vanished when I loaded it back up and fiddle with it.

The pieces in question is the 2 (2x1) stacked fuel tanks and joining them with separate pieces of 2x1 tank, and 2x1 cargo hold. I did remove the upper section of the cargo holds and then remove the lower section and connected just the lower section first and added in the upper half. I think that fixed it as i may have added in the upper cargo section before the lower fuel tank one. But I am not sure that the lower 2 (2x1) piece is making a joint at the upper section.

Here is a few pics of the craft that i'm attempting to make.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/tseter/Kerbal%20Space%20Adventures/Pic1_zpse9da104f.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/tseter/Kerbal%20Space%20Adventures/pic2_zps2425bcb5.png

This craft takes off from the runway, under pure power of the engines points upwards thanks to the 7 degree gimble of the Thrustmax 200's by dtobi and rockets into space. Its a tricky way to do it but I was unable to find a set of wings that looks good with my design. And my VTOL attempts crashed horribly rolling or flipping over. Been having trouble running out of fuel just as it starts to circlize so making it carry a little fuel is in the plans.

Can you post the CRAFT file? When I use the 2-1 double tanks I stack them back and forth like bricks giving me three spots to put the engines. I have not tried to stack them on there own. I would like to try to see how it works on my game if possible.

Yea, I can post it just give me a few, i have to convert it back to those pics as I've made a few changes to it. And like a dumbuss I've forgot to save between versions. And i am going to make me some food.

Edit: It also has the engines from dtobi's space shuttle engine mod you want those on there also and mechjeb?

Edit again: I'll have to post it later running out of time and i got to head out to goto roommate parents for dinner. Goddess i love my AH oh shinny! disorder, I forgot what i was doing and looked at the time and remembered... gha will post it as soon as oh shinny........

Edited by Damaske

Yea, I can post it just give me a few, i have to convert it back to those pics as I've made a few changes to it. And like a dumbuss I've forgot to save between versions. And i am going to make me some food.

Edit: It also has the engines from dtobi's space shuttle engine mod you want those on there also and mechjeb?

Edit again: I'll have to post it later running out of time and i got to head out to goto roommate parents for dinner. Goddess i love my AH oh shinny! disorder, I forgot what i was doing and looked at the time and remembered... gha will post it as soon as oh shinny........

Have you thought about using wings anyway? Sure they are ugly and don't fit the fact that these parts have an aesthetic for pure spaceships...but just use decouplers to blow the wings off after you're in orbit! :) Now you can use wings to lift you into space and still have cool looking ships!

Have you thought about using wings anyway? Sure they are ugly and don't fit the fact that these parts have an aesthetic for pure spaceships...but just use decouplers to blow the wings off after you're in orbit! :) Now you can use wings to lift you into space and still have cool looking ships!

That is a great idea, except for that this is going to be part of a SSTO reusable space program and I'll need to launch into space, land, reload cargo, take off and do it again till I build a space station all without going back into the VAB or SPH. I'm mostly working on the craft to move the cargo into space right now.

That is a great idea, except for that this is going to be part of a SSTO reusable space program and I'll need to launch into space, land, reload cargo, take off and do it again till I build a space station all without going back into the VAB or SPH. I'm mostly working on the craft to move the cargo into space right now.

Docking port wings that you "reload" onto the ship when it lands? Although it's really not an ssto at that point I suppose. If it's just an ssto does it matter if it's ugly? Just name it ugly betty. Or sweaty betty. Also how are you reloading the ship with stuff without entering the vab/sph? Or are you entering those to load a fuel/parts truck to drive out and load? Mind sharing what mods you're using as this idea intrigues me :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.